Question 3 car seats

U

Unregistered

Hello,
I have a 2003 ford focus. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. They are both in a FF car seat. Sorry I don't have the model at the moment. We are planning on a third child but I was wondering about the car seat situation. I don't mind spending the money for car seats since it would still be cheaper than a new car. I was wondering what car seat would be the best in this situation. I would need 2 FF and one infant (carrier). I am not really looking for a booster for my oldest because I don't find them that safe. I prefer him to be snug and secure.
Thank you for all your help and input. If I was to get another vehicule, what would you recommend?

Thanks

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome.

How heavy is your two year old? The safest way to ride is rear facing, so if your two year old is under 45 pounds, I'd get a seat to rear face longer in.

You're right, we don't recommend boosters for four year olds generally. Most kids don't have the size or maturity until at least five, usually closer to six. Sometimes older. And with a tight three across sometimes that gets pushed back even more so you don't need to reach between seats to buckle in a booster.

What is your budget?

You'll be happy to hear that there have been several three acrosses in Ford Focuses. Ford Foci? http://www.car-seat.org/search.php?searchid=2792871

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you for the quick reply. My 2 year old is lighter than 45 lbs and I beleive my four year old is also lighter than that. When I put my 2 year old in a RF (the one we have is convertible) he seemed to have no leg room. As for the budget well I don't have a price for the saftey of my kids since 3 new car seats is still cheaper than a new vehicle :) I was thinking on purchasing 2 radiants and a carrier or even 3 radiants however my wife would prefer the new baby to be in a carrier. I guess my options would be radiant behind the passenger and the driver but which carrier would be the best fit for the middle?
Thank you,
Marc

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What seat do you have? There are probably seats that have more leg room. But it's also not a safety issue for his legs to be crossed. Whereas there is a safety risk to a melon of a head on a twizzler of a neck. It's a very common concern parents have, about the legs. Probably because it's easy to see, whereas the spine is covered by skin and muscle and we don't think about it. It's just there. You're the fourth parent this week to mention it to me.

Two Radians would work well. I hear they go in fabulously rear facing behind a front seat passenger.

As for a carrier, I'd look at a Chicco Keyfit or Safety 1st onBoard 35, maybe a Combi Shuttle. They are all fairly narrow, and they have straight bases.

I also wouldn't put the infant in the middle. Besides the pain of lifting the infant and seat over another child or seat, a forward facing child is less safe than a rear facing child. So I'd put a forward facing child in the middle. Either the two year old if he stays forward facing, or the four year old if the two year old goes back rear facing. Give the least safer person the benefit of the most protected position. So I'd put the baby behind the passenger or driver, then either the four or two year old in the middle, then the other child outboard.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC