Graco SnugRide 30

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Those who were at the Manufacturer's Update at LifeSavers may remember the Graco rep mentioned a "SnugRide 30" coming soon. Well, I was looking for another seat's manual on the SBS Tech Access site, and I happened to notice they had a manual for the SnugRide 30. The copyright date is 05/10, but I'm pretty sure it was only recently uploaded to the site; I don't remember seeing it the last time I was logged in. Anyway, if you have access, you should check it out.

From what I could tell, it looks like the SR30 is like the SR22 with some modifications:
*Starts at 4# vs 5# (I wonder if they'll do this with other seats and I also wonder if they lowered the bottom slots enough for this to really fit smaller babies well), goes to 30# (of course - I think this rep was the one that said all the names made things easier because the weight limit was in the name)
*4 harness slots vs 3
*Only comes in front adjust (yeah - they need to get rid of all the rear adjusting seats anyway)
*Base looks closer to SS1/SR32/SR35 base in shape than SR22, but it adjusts by pulling a handle/lever in front vs tabs or a knob. There are 3 recline settings and the "number" of each setting shows up in a window on the recline mechanism (similar to the Embrace)
*Handle settings are exactly the same as the SR22 in position and in which are allowed in the vehicle
*Head support options are either the body support similar to what's coming in the SR35s and nicer SS1/SR32s or one that is like having two blankets/bolsters on either side of babies head (vs the flimsy traditional head rolls that don't really work) (head support section also gives instructions on using rolled blankets and states in bold to make sure they don't interfere w/ the harness!)
*Straps go under "ribs" in back vs under a plate that holds the manual
*Harness straps adjust at the shoulders and hips, like the SS1/SR32/SR35 vs only at the shoulders, there are two sets of loops at the shoulders and three at the hips (the securing child section describes and shows the pinch test)
*Crotch strap has two positions
*Locking clip goes 1/2" (1 cm) from buckle (I think when I looked before, Evenflo was the only manufacturer to specify 1/2" vs 1" for the locking clip)
*Level indicator on base, just red line on seat vs indicator on seat and nothing on base
*Instructions seem to prohibit twisting or turning of buckle (sometimes used to help keep locking latch plates tight or tighten the install)
*States that locking clip is needed for free sliding latchplate and non-locking belt when used w/o the base;however there is no mention of a lock-off mechanism on the base. Some how the base magically locks the belt?

So far I can't find an actual picture of one or one for sale online. Maybe they'll show them of at KIM.

ADS

autumnlily

I played with it yesterday - without a tape measure.

The base is square and the same width as the Chicco base. I was very impressed with the size. It does not have a lock-off on the base. However the short squattiness of the base may make it accept a shoulder belt without needing locking clip in as many installs (of course, assuming the belt pre-locks).

Graco was so close to having the width correct... it is the darn carrier. The infant seat itself flairs out beyond the width of even the handle. If trying to put these carriers side by side... the nice square base is a waste... easily lose nearly 4" of seat space because of a flimsy piece of plastic. GRRR

There are two crotch slots. The first slot is TINY. I think it will definitely make it easier for the seat to fit a 4lb baby. The entire hip space is tiny :thumbsup: when set for a newborn.

Again, no tape measure - but the lowest slot did appear lower than their other seats. Not micro low like the OnBoard 35 or Evenflo seats... but maybe, just maybe, as short as the Chicco w/insert.

Currently, it only comes in the travel system. And, only one pattern (see above lnk).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They are in the stock room of our BRU, but there's no place to put them on the shelf, so we just left them back there. So I'd expect to see brownstone travel systems out in the next week or so all over the place (Really? With a Quattro Tour? Nice, light seat, but you need a forklift to get the stroller into your trunk!)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We had some pics and information and measurements that I put in our KIM update, part 2 on Carseatblog, if anyone's looking for a few more data points on the seat. :) The shell is different from the SR22 and so is the base-- the shell is the same basic shape, and same handle positions, but an inch taller and with extra slots for harness and crotch buckle.

mom2juliarose

I'm not sure what to think of the head support. I guess I figured the 30s would have the head support more like the ones on the Snugride 35 or even some of the SafeSeat models... It looks similar on the travel system model linked above, but the infant inserts on the stand-alone models look different. Are the head supports on the SR30 stiff or soft? They kind of look like rolled-up receiving blankets to me!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The head support I handled was firmer than the traditional SR22 head supports (which as we all know, do next to nothing.) The head support and especially the side cushions seemed much more supportive than what Graco has had in the past. (Again, this seat was designed with a lot of input from NICU nurses, and "useless head support" was probably one of the main complaints!) There will be different trim levels eventually, though, and I'd expect that there will be some variations on inserts as well as covers among the different trim levels (which will be priced differently too.)

mimieliza

I think this seat looks great! Right now I'm stuck between hating the size of my SS1 - including the huge chest clip, and hating my SR22 for its skimpy sunshade, rear adjust harness and difficult install in my vehicle.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Still looking for a place to put our floor model... dept. supervisor is gone this week, so not much is getting done. Forget me trying out the install, though, they TOOK THE VEHICLE BENCH AWAY from our store, and are going to put a big seat display there. Argh.

eta, ps, Jennifer, I'm glad you liked it, I was pointing out the ginormous irony in people buying the SR for the 'lightness' of it, when the stroller it comes on weighs more than a jogger...so much for being a tiny little mom looking for something easily manageable. ;)

Pixels

Took the vehicle bench away? Never mind test installs, what's a tired pregnant mama to do when she needs to sit and think for a moment?

TerisBoys

YEAH! That was not there yesteday. I like those patterns much more... unfortunately, no retailer yet...

If you hover over the seats on that link, the quick views both say "Coming soon to a BRU near you".

I like. Won't need, but I do like the looks of them.

carpenterlady

What extra or replacement base does the SR 30 use? Can it use the base from the SR 35 or a SR 22 or is there a base specific for this carseat? Thank you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC