Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Can't get a tight install on my truefit

After many months of debating between the truefit and myride65. I got the truefit and can't seem to get a tight install. I am rear facing in a Saturn Vue. I can't get the latch to tighten enough, is there something I am missing?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Can't get a tight install on my truefit

Have you tried pulling the LATCH belt back through the beltpath to change the angle as you tighten? Add weight on the side where you're tightening. Also, have you tried a seatbelt install?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

I tried putting weight on it. I took it out and turned it on the side and pulled on the LATCH strap to see if I could see what I was doing wrong. The orange strap that attaches the LATCH to the seat seem like it was in the way. The orange strap slightly curves the LATCH. I am going out to try again. I didn't try with the seat belt yet. If I use the seat belt do I take out the LATCH completely?

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Right, take it out or store it.

The orange strap is to keep the LATCH strap from getting separated from the seat. You could choose to cut the orange strap as well.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Thanks for your help. I got a tight install using LATCH. The orange strap was the problem.

The rather sheepish direction I give parents who cannot work past the silly orange pigtail strap is to either cut it or take a seam ripper to the black stiching and open the loop that's keeping it on the LATCH strap. Learning Curve is WELL AWARE of the issue and until they give formal direction on the matter I'm sort of at a loss about what is the most correct thing to tell parents. I, personally, would cut a pigtail strap in a hot minute -- not a second thought. But for me to use the word "cut" as it relates to anything strap-like on a seat... well, parents tend to go a bit pale in tone.

OP, The orange strap is just.too.short. Unless you're standing overtop of the seat and using your body weight to suck the seat into the vehicle seat (a good trick by the way) you're most likely going to find the orange strap just gets in the way.
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt