I hope they really don't ride like this

ADS

MySillyKids

EVERY single picture is like that too and they are not all the same kids. They must think that the shoulder pads go down like that. Wow. Just Wow.

Niea

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the picture was "staged". In other words, I really do think that the kids were riding around like that. I mean, that girl Leslie is pictured wearing three different outfits, one of which she's sleeping in. Seems "real world" to me. Nevermind the fact that she's entirely way too young to be forward facing anyway.

At least that other baby is rearfacing, even if the chest clip is all the way down to the crotch buckle!

Niea

I was thinking about this issue for a while, and I have a question.

Okay, I know you're supposed to have the chest clip, well, on the chest level with the armpits. But European seats do not have chest clips at all (I think it's because you're supposed to be able to get kid out with one motion?) -- if the harness was tight enough, I wonder how much of an issue is there if the chest clip was pushed all the way down to the buckle?

Jimaie(mom2boys)

I was thinking about this issue for a while, and I have a question.

Okay, I know you're supposed to have the chest clip, well, on the chest level with the armpits. But European seats do not have chest clips at all (I think it's because you're supposed to be able to get kid out with one motion?) -- if the harness was tight enough, I wonder how much of an issue is there if the chest clip was pushed all the way down to the buckle?

This is true...i remember coming across a thread on here about European car seats not having chest clips at all...Heres the UK Britax webiste, notice no clips...
http://www.britax.co.uk/ProductDetail.jsp?pid=27&cid=7&type=1

ETA: I foudn the thread i mentioned above.That being said, i use my chest clips but still a thot...
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=8076&highlight=chest+clip

tchrgrrl

My understanding is that European seats are designed differently or have different accessories - like thicker, grippier Hugs on the Britax seats that essentially do the same thing as the chest clip. The chest clip is not really an optional accessory on seats sold in the US just because their counterparts are chest-clipless in other countries.

Niea

My understanding is that European seats are designed differently or have different accessories - like thicker, grippier Hugs on the Britax seats that essentially do the same thing as the chest clip. The chest clip is not really an optional accessory on seats sold in the US just because their counterparts are chest-clipless in other countries.

This is true, but I was just reading the thread Jimaie posted and it also said that the chest-clip is not mandated in the US. As long as the child can keep the shoulder straps in place, it's okay not to use one.

Now, with those children in the photos, if the harness was snug enough, it doesn't even look like those children are old enough to have the dexterity to wiggle out of it. But then again, maybe the little houdini's could!

But in the end, you're right. The chest clip may not be mandated in the US, but since the straps are constructed differently, it's a good idea to use it anyway!

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
This is true, but I was just reading the thread Jimaie posted and it also said that the chest-clip is not mandated in the US. As long as the child can keep the shoulder straps in place, it's okay not to use one.

Now, with those children in the photos, if the harness was snug enough, it doesn't even look like those children are old enough to have the dexterity to wiggle out of it. But then again, maybe the little houdini's could!

But in the end, you're right. The chest clip may not be mandated in the US, but since the straps are constructed differently, it's a good idea to use it anyway!

It may be true that chest clips are not mandated in the US, but all seats that come with them MUST be used with them. That is the way the seat is crash tested. We don't know that the US seat would pass crash testing without that clip. Yes, if your US seat came without a clip (like some older FP seats), then you do not have to use one, but almost all seats on the US market at this time require the chest clip. Its not just a good idea, it is a requirement in order to use the seat correctly.
Renee

Stresch

At least one of the rearfacing kids had the shoulder straps too high, too. Since I have this seat, I am almost certain they were not on the lowest setting either.

Plus, aren't you supposed to remove the infant pillow when your kid is bigger? I'm sure it doesn't really matter that much, but I don't really like having all that stuff in the seat. It makes it harder to get the harness tight.

broken4u05

Some people do not want to take the infant part out. I did not even use it when i got the BV for drew. I didnt think i needed it because he is already 16 months

beebear23

Senior Community Member
I'm sure some people could say the same about the pic. in your siggy, since you can't see the straps on your DD's seat.....

Sadly, some people do ride around like that, but why not give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they liked the pic. and fixed the straps after tehy took it...

Yeah, okay, some of those are pretty bad though....

momof2kiddos

I'm sure some people could say the same about the pic. in your siggy, since you can't see the straps on your DD's seat.....

Yeah they probably could think I let her ride in the car strapless:eek: But I don't I swear;) I am a freak about thier straps.We are at a restraunt when I took that pic,she was just making cute faces at me and I couldn't resist a pic:D

Starlight

Senior Community Member
It may be true that chest clips are not mandated in the US, but all seats that come with them MUST be used with them. That is the way the seat is crash tested. We don't know that the US seat would pass crash testing without that clip. Yes, if your US seat came without a clip (like some older FP seats), then you do not have to use one, but almost all seats on the US market at this time require the chest clip. Its not just a good idea, it is a requirement in order to use the seat correctly.
Renee

Last edited:

Niea

Renee

Oh now I totally understand that. I was just asking, rhetorical more than anything, about "how much" it matters, ya know? But we'll never know because nobody has released info as to whether they were tested that way and what the results were.

In the end, I do what I'm told and advise friends to do the same. I was just curious about it, is all.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
The pictures on Amazon are the worst. I look through sometimes just for fun, but am always so disturbed by the huge amount of misuse that I get knots in my stomach and have to stop looking! Did I say just for fun? Yeah, I guess it's not fun, so I don't know why I do it. It is my understanding that chest clips are pre-crash positioners. Their purpose is to position the straps correctly on the child's shoulders so that they are where they should be in the case of an accident. However, that little piece of plastic is not going to hold up to crash forces and will break or pop open, but by that point, it has already done it's job of keeping the straps on the shoulders where they are supposed to be.

Simplysomething

The pics over there---show the folks who bought the seat probably because it was the prettiest--not because of safety.

Of course I could be wrong. lol

ETA why do they have the Buy together and save. If I click on a marathon it tells me to buy another one and save.... two marathons for the low price of ...two marathons!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC