We Can't Decide

Which Seat?

• Total voters

Jonah Baby

J's next seat (replacing crashed Radian/expired Wizard/soon to outgrow MyRide/scary head slump in other Wizard.)

Torso is 15" or just a hair under.
About 39" tall.
40 pounds on the dot last time we weighed. I don't remember if he had shoes on or not.
We have ~$300 to work with from insurance reimbursement. We are willing/able to front some extra, but truly not sure what seat could bring us over THAT.

I cannot find a Maestro to try in my Stepmother's car. Her car came from hell, seriously. The Maestro only goes to 50 pounds as well, so not a cost effective solution IMO when the pass-down-to child already has a convertible with higher limits.
The FR85 is incompatible in her car. I have not tried a Radian, but I THINK it is skinny enough to work.
J does NOT fit in a Nauti. He's just too wide, it is uncomfortable for him. Same deal on a CA.
Is 5 more pounds RF in a RNXTSL worth it at age 3? Half of me says yes. It can be passed to A later, but A also has a TF, so it isn't necessary.
Recaro ProSport. It looks good. Doesn't look like a good booster, though. Most likely incompatible with Stepmother's car, possibly too big for mine? Does have the highest top slots and weight.
FR85. Again, incompatible with Stepmother's car, but one of the highest weight and harness limits. Has been said to make an ok booster? IT COMES IN COW, so major points there.
RNXTSL. Fits my car RF like a dream. Can potentially be passed to A later.

I think I'd prefer to get J a dedicated booster when the time comes. I expect he will have to be harnessed for a long time to come, however. He is too "wide" for the TB, so we'd again have to look at expensive things to fit him, ugh.

It is truly a PITA not having a seat I can put in Stepmother's car. She takes him often which is good for my sanity. If going with an incompatible seat, it'll suck, but I think she'll just have to use my Father's car to transport him (he has a Yaris.)
My Mother's car is currently not in consideration (she has an '08 Subie Impreza and a '99? Dodge Stratus.) She is considering getting an RSTV. She currently has the remaining Wizard. I have not tried any of my above options in her cars.

ADS

ctbcleveland

Your analysis might be ignoring a few things. I could take a CCO and crash test it to 65 lbs and that would be the weight limit. The practical weight limit of a seat might be significantly different. I just mention that in terms of the Maestro. A Maestro might actually work to 50 lbs for most kids. There is no way an old style MA would work to 65 lbs, despite what the label says.

However, if he doesn't fit in the Nauti, I am not sure he will fit in a Maestro either. I am having a hard time knowing how he will be comfortable in the Radian if he is too wide to be comfortable in the Nauti too.

I personally wouldn't get the RNXTSL for an over 3 year old that is already 40 lbs. I'd get a regular radian and consider using it FF for Jonah and keeping the baby in the TF or putting the baby in the RN now and using the TF FF for Jonah. I would then put the extra money in savings for when you need something new seat-wise in the future.

I am in the camp that a RN65SL is really all most of us need. RF to 40 lbs is sufficient. The other radians have higher FF weights, but most of us can't use anything past 65 lbs because the harness heights don't change. Unless you really have a need for headwings, I guess.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It seems as if you have lots of trouble getting seats to fit in your car, so I would focus on that. Fitting in other cars is a bonus, since he doesn't HAVE to ride in other cars.

Agree that if he is truly too large for a Nautilus, he won't fit in a Radian for long.

Jonah Baby

It seems as if you have lots of trouble getting seats to fit in your car, so I would focus on that. Fitting in other cars is a bonus, since he doesn't HAVE to ride in other cars.

Agree that if he is truly too large for a Nautilus, he won't fit in a Radian for long.

I should definitely go test the FR85 in my car.
Anyone compare it to the Recaro? It looked pretty thin in pictures (thin in regards to those types of seats, still quite a large beast.)

I guess it is possible the Radian won't accommodate him long. The Nauti is a no-go because it scrunches/pushes on his shoulders a lot, which the Radian did not do. The Radian is a "flat" design, where the Nauti has a kind of curve to it.

ctbcleveland

I've never seen the recaro, but two things stuck out from the reviews I read:

1) not much leg room for a RF child (wendy's comparrison with a Britax seat, which doesn't have much leg room)
2) not super-simple to install (firemom and firefyghtermom review - I think). I will see if I can link.

Jonah Baby

I've never seen the recaro, but two things stuck out from the reviews I read:

1) not much leg room for a RF child (wendy's comparrison with a Britax seat, which doesn't have much leg room)
2) not super-simple to install (firemom and firefyghtermom review - I think). I will see if I can link.

I think the ProSport is FF only? I couldn't find anything about it being RF capable.
Not simple to install could be an issue since I will definitely have to switch it between vehicles.

autumnlily

I don't have the Maestro in my possession at the time... but if I recall my DD swam in it compared to the GN (which she has plenty of side to side room in too - but she is 34lb and 39+ inches and a completely different build than J). My impression is that kids slow down weight gain around 3+ years... but I only have girls to compare to.

I'd suggest trying a Maestro for MIL car and FR85 (I have no idea what Prosport is like) for your car. Is Britax still offering 20% off. Or, you could take advantage of the BRU Great Trade in starting this Friday and get 25% off. Should give you enough to purchase both seats :)

arly1983

I just moved a 42 lb and widely built 4 yr out of a radian xtsl because she kept saying "its not fit" which is what she says when her shoes are too tight (thick feet, not by length ususally). She did look squashed. I moved her to a nautilus which looks better and she hasn't complained yet.

I, too, would focus first on what would fit into your car first.

Jonah Baby

We went with a FR85.
I wanted cow.
J insisted on...pink.:rolleyes:

I have a pink FR85 in my bedroom.
It better fit in my car.

sunnymw

We went with a FR85.
I wanted cow.
J insisted on...pink.:rolleyes:

I have a pink FR85 in my bedroom.
It better fit in my car.

:ROTFLMAO:

DS1 loved his pink scenera the whole time we had it!!

If it doesn't work... I say put him FF in the TF, get a RN. ETA: because *I* can sit comfortably in a TF at 150lbs!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC