I need some help

broken4u05

Ok this is kinda personal but i would love some help. I have Bi polar, ADD and a very mild case of OCD. but i guess we all are a little obsessed about car seats here but mine is more than car seats. I started med in 3rd grade for ADD and than in high school i got depressed and they found out about the Bi polar. They put me on tons of meds total of 11 pills a day i think i was taking at one point and it did nothing. I stopped them but 2 years ago was upset again more than i could handle and i went to someone else and he gave me something different and because that kept me away i was taking sleeping pills. Long story short i have been feeling upset again and i do not want to take meds again so does anyone know any thing i can do to feel happy again? I know a lot of you here are anti-meds so that is why i ask. Any suggestions would be good. Or if you just think i need to go back to a doctor?

ETA: I am still able to work and go to school but like i do not want to talk to anyone and i have not been physical or huggy lately and i am always huggy. if you know what i mean. And i have not been sleeping well at night too bad dreams many times

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
How about therapy? Most insurance should cover at least some therapy -- perhaps just enough to pinpoint some specifics for you as well as some coping options.... Everyone can benefit from some form of therapy even if there aren't any diagnoses.

(((((HUGS)))))

broken4u05

I have done that as well. It was the first thing that was done. It did not work out and i have been to 2 different people. and 2 different doctors about meds.
ETA: The first one even mad more problems for my family and i lost for a while the closeness i had with my mom

gwenvet

Sorry I don't have many answers, but hang in there. I had some post partum depression and didn't want to go on meds because I was breast feeding and what I found really helped was getting enough sleep and exercising. Those endorphins can help, but if nothing is working don't ignore your symptoms...they effect the whole family. An unhappy mommy is an unhappy family. Cheers.

broken4u05

I do not have any kids yet. It is not Post Partun depression it is something that i have been fighting with since i was little. But i have have like a month of feeling better than back to the way i was with it every other day sad/happy now i am just sad

Loves2sing

((((HUGS!!)))):)
Sweetie, I am so sorry to hear about this. One thing that you could try, but it could be a long shot, is Chiropratic. When you have subluxations in your back it can throw off the way your entire body works, emotionally and physically. Chiropractors help get rid off the subluxations in your vertabrae. it would be worth a shot if you want to avoid meds this time around.
I hope it also helps to know that I will definatley pray for you as well. I believe that God is our great physician, and He can heal anything. I am not going to make any promises, as I am not God, but I will pray that He will direct your path so you can find the correct route to take to find your healing. God Bless!
Ps. If you are not a believer please, don't take offence, I am not trying to shove my beliefs down your throat. I am sincerley just trying to help, and give you a little hope and comfort.

cpsaddict

I suffer from severe anxiety disorder, so I kind of know what you are going through. Mine usually start out minor and then escalate into something I cannot handle. I am doing therapy and meds. I have read so many books and researched the subject to death. There are some people that meds may not work for, but for the majority of people, it seems that meds and therapy together seem to work. I have now been panic free for two months. That is a long time for me. I currently take Zoloft and they have finally found the correct dosage. I have been on five different meds in the last year. I also take Clonipin for the times that I am having a panic attack. They are scary because they feel like a heart attack. I also have mild OCD and that is also almost nonexistant now(except when my hands get dirty. Can't stand that!).

Hang in there and keep trying to find the solution. There is one out there, I promise! Don't give up faith in the doctors. I kept moving doctors until I found one I liked. I know it is exhausting to keep going to doctors and such. I have also found that my mom is the one person I turn too when the panic pops up. Maybe finding a person like that may help. I, too, get too the point where I would prefer to hide from people. Also, remember that this is a disease and it should be treated as such. People tell me to just "snap out of it". Umm, can't do that. You are also not alone. These issues are very common.

So, big **Hugs** and keep chuggin along. It will get better!:p

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
I have severe panic disorder, and have found out that I have thyroid problems...have you had yours checked? I have been taking the tyroid supplements for about 2 weeks now and I am already feeling so much better (not perfect yet, but much better). Do you have any physical symptoms? (I know that these can be hard to pinpoint because they seem normal since you have lived with them for so long, atleast in my case). But I would definately get your checked if you havent already...hang in there and if you ever need to vent or complain you can always pm me ((((((hugs))))))

Suzibeck

I don't know how much help this would be for clinical depression, but I can't hurt. There is book called "When Your Body Gets the Blues", I can't remember the author. It has you do a combination of exercise (outside in natural light) and taking supplements. I know people who have done really well with this. I have not implemented it myself, too cold and dark to exercise outside in the winter here, at least at a time that I can leave the kiddos home.

I hope you find something that works for you. Hugs.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
So sorry to hear that you feel things are taking a turn for the worse...:( If you don't want to take meds, then I highly recommend getting to a good acupuncturist. Where are you in Maryland? I know a fabulous acupuncturist in Annapolis. He charges $50/hr and you would probably see him once/week, maybe twice at first...? Please give it a try. I know you do not want to go back on meds and I think this would be work looking into.

Please hang in there. If acupuncture doesn't work, I know many, many alternative health practitioners in the DC area. We'll just keep going down the line until we find something that works. Please PM me if you want...

southpawboston

have you tried stretching and physical exercise? just 15 min to 1/2 hour a day can have strong positive affects on emotional well being. it doesn't have to be high-impact or strenuous exercise either... even a brisk walk outside.

broken4u05

Ok going to answer everything
Ps. If you are not a believer please, don't take offence, I am not trying to shove my beliefs down your throat. I am sincerley just trying to help, and give you a little hope and comfort.
I am a believer but i have had a lot of problems in my church so i do not go. But i do go to a youth group and have talked to the leader about this so i thank you for the prayers.
I currently take Zoloft and they have finally found the correct dosage.
I have taken this and it does not work. I need to take something stronger when i was taking meds.

I have severe panic disorder, and have found out that I have thyroid problems...have you had yours checked?
Yes this has been tested my mom has problems. It has been about 2 years but i was fine than. I also had a whole round of blood tests done before my surgery a few months ago to take my gallbladder out. And i about physical things. I always have stomach pains and something chest pains i have been to the hospital before because of it. but after they found out about the gallstones they said it was that. Well it has not changed so now i have to go to more doctors about that.
There is book called "When Your Body Gets the Blues", I can't remember the author. It has you do a combination of exercise (outside in natural light) and taking supplements
I walk often most of the time with the boys i watch, and work out sometimes
I highly recommend getting to a good acupuncturist. Where are you in Maryland? I know a fabulous acupuncturist in Annapolis. He charges $50/hr and you would probably see him once/week, maybe twice at first...? Please give it a try. I know you do not want to go back on meds and I think this would be work looking into.
I live near rockville. I am kinda scared of acupuncture but i might try it. My mom comes home today i think so i am going to talk to her about what i can do. I try to talk to my mom for help but she is often out of the state or country. But i will talk to her when she gets home and if she says it is an ok idea i will PM you about the person you know
have you tried stretching and physical exercise? just 15 min to 1/2 hour a day can have strong positive affects on emotional well being. it doesn't have to be high-impact or strenuous exercise either... even a brisk walk outside.
Again yes i do but it is hard to every day because of work and school. But on nice days i love to take the boys outside on nice days and every day we go somewhere so i am not just stuck inside.
Again thanks for all the help. I just do not know what to do.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I also wanted to add that our whole family sees a homeopathic physician who has an office in Rockville (we see him in his Virginia office). He is an MD and previously was a psychiatrist before he became a homeopath. I can PM you his name if you'd like... But, I may first contact our pediatrician who has been around awhile. She's an MD and homeopath also and is well-connected in this area when it comes to alternative healthcare. I can call her on Monday and see who she thinks would be the most help to you.

broken4u05

Thanks so much. I had doctors how they just give meds but i know i need to do something. It is becomeing a problem with my bf even. I do not even want him to touch me but so far he has been soo good about it.

Momto1bigkiddo

You are certainly not alone. I have an anxiety and depression disorder and very mild OCD. I suffer the most from my social anxiety... I hate to even say that. :( It's embarrassing for me.

I really admire your courage and honesty to post what you are feeling. That is not so easy to do.

I have been thinking about learning to meditate...to learn to relax and to manage my stress/depression/anxiety. There is a meditation center near where I live that offers meditation workshops and drop-in meditation times all for free (they take donations). If you might be interested in that, do a google search for meditation and your city and see what comes up. Maybe you have a similar center near by. If not, maybe you could check out some meditation books/tapes from a library.

broken4u05

Yeah i will look it up. Never been interested in meditation before but i will be willing to try anything. I was kinda scared to post about it but with the talks about meds and not taking meds made me want to ask because i am interested in going the no meds way.
O and my mom just came home and she said she will help me out and work with me. And i she said she will go walking with me on the weekends. Again thanks for all the help and any other ideas would be great

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If you'd like to PM me, please do. I'll keep this short here since it's a public forum, but I also have bipolar disorder and have PTSD as well. I've been on meds since I was 19... at many times too drugged up to even sign my name. :( Now though, I'm on a mood stabilizer and zoloft - what antidepressant I take tends to be adjusted and the dose is almost constantly being adjusted depending on how my moods are cycling... but I'm free from major side effects now, have lost some of the weight that the meds caused me to gain, and got off the sleeping pills about 6 yrs ago now.

Relaxation therapy was really helpful for me to learn how to sleep and how to fall asleep. And there were many nights where I had to tell myself that as long as I was in bed resting that it was good enough - and eventually I started being able to fall asleep on my own within a "normal" period of time.

I think it's great to explore other options, but don't completely block out the possibility that meds of some sort may be needed. There are options out there that don't interfere with daily life and that will still allow you to become pregnant and have kids and breastfeed. Personally the right meds made a huge difference in my quality of life. I think for some people with depression or OCD or ADD that other therapies can help, when it comes to bipolar though, don't knock yourself out trying to heal yourself. It never hurts to try other things... just don't refuse to consider that meds may be the best option in the long run.

In general I'm not a big believer in prescription meds, but I think this kind of thing falls into a different category. The homeopath that was mentioned who used to be a psychiatrist sounds like a match made in heaven to me, and I think that is someone definitely worth seeing - IMHO anyways. ;) I think if anyone will be able to offer a natural approach, then that's the safest way to do it - with the psychiatry background training, he'd likely know his limitations and when he couldn't help anymore, which would also make it safe for you.

Anyways, hope that helps some and I guess this got longer than I initially intended. :eek: Feel free to PM me if you want to talk though. There's really too much to say and I've had a long journey to get to where I am... I always tell myself that if I can help make the journey easier for one other person, that it helps make the path I've followed worthwhile.

broken4u05

Hugs are always needed thanks.
And i have not ruled out drugs at all i just want to try something different first

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC