Question Should I get my seat checked??

Mommy2Marcus

So, I have wondered lately if I should get my seats checked since I turned them FF. I got them checked while he was RF, was confident with my installs & knew I had them right. However I have not gotten any of them checked since I turned him. I am confident with my installs & feel that I have them 100% right, but I just wonder if I do. I have NO movement in my seat at all, it is top tethered, he is buckled properly & the harness is set right.

So, WDYT? Have I learned enough from being here not to have to worry about it? Would you get your seat checked if you were me? Just been thinking about it alot the last week or so.

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

You? Get your seats checked?

Well, if you want to, go for it.

LOL! Thanks Judi! It makes me feel good to know that you think I am good to go. I did think about it just to see what they would say. :D They looked at me like I was a fruit cake the last time when Marcus was 3 & still RF. He then asked me if I knew I could turn him around now. :rolleyes: I told him I knew I could, but I did not want to. He just pretty much rolled his eyes at me. :p

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
See, and that is part of it. They look at you like you are crazy. If you came to my clinic, I would have had to hold myself back from hugging you, and I am not a huggy person.

Mommy2Marcus

See, and that is part of it. They look at you like you are crazy. If you came to my clinic, I would have had to hold myself back from hugging you, and I am not a huggy person.

LOL! Yes, they have all looked at me like I was crazy. The 1st one told me that it was perfectly safe for him to be turned around. Ummm.......NOT. He was just right at 17 months old. I told her that it was not perfectly safe & she should not be telling people that in the same breath that she explained that ERF was a good thing. She looked at me like I was nuts then. Way to convince a parent to keep their child RF. :rolleyes:

The 2nd one, I was met with shock that my seat was installed properly & that again he was 18 months old & still RF. (this was the MA in DH's car, so not the same as above said seat.) He said he was fully aware of ERF, but thought that it was crazy to keep a child RF after they were 14-15 months old. Again, WTG to promote ERF there buddy.

The 3rd one, was in the MR in my car. We were at the fire station letting Marcus see the fire trucks. The guy said something about his car seat being RF still & asked if he could take a look. I said sure. He opened the passenger door, reached back & grabbed the seat, gave it a good shake & asked who installed it. I said I did. He was shocked as well. Said it was in very tightly. Then looked over to the buckle side & seen my LC. Again, shock. He never took it out. Said there was no need as anyone that could get a LC on like that & have the seat in that tightly, there was no way it was wrong. :D But then told me I could turn him around now. He was to big to be RF now at his size. Showed him wrong when I put him in. He asked Marcus how he liked it & Marcus told him it was fun to ride backwards. LOL. :thumbsup: for Marcus! :thumbsdown: for crazy seat checker!

SO.....Can I just come let you check my seat?? :p Would you still hug me now? I would have taken a hug btw. You are AWSOME like that!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
LOL!

I would say, it's never a bad plan to get your seats checked. Like you, after finding this board, I was pretty confident my seats were in right. I went and got them checked and aside from an overtightened tether, everything was correct. BUT, I was glad to have a second (and third) set of eyes on them.

If there's a check in proximity that you can get to easily, go for it, but I wouldn't stress too much. Just be prepared to be told he can move to a booster. :p

ctbcleveland

After two bad seat check experiences and one good one (board member), I would only get mine checked by someone on this board.

babyherder

I would only go to a seat check (after finding this board) if I was comfortable with the techs running it and their certification. No more random firehouse or police checks. Also, I only have boosters and I'm pretty confident I can set them in the car correctly.

Amaris

If it were me I would, just to be on the safe side. That said, I would also go prepared to stand my ground if needed. The last time my seats were checked was over 2 years ago. The local sk people did a check. Kaitlin was 13 months rfing in a marathon and I had to really stand my ground to leave there with her still rear facing! The guy that told me how wrong it was to keep her rfing was, and still is, the only instructor in the area. I complained and have been told he was re-trained, but I have no desire for him to check my seats.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I usually only go to seat checks to educate the techs there and freak them out about my 2.5yo RFing. ;) unfortunatley now most of them all know me and that I'm a tech too.

Mom2FiveGirls

I never have. I feel hypocritical because I tell others that they should and I never have... The fire department not too far from me (actually where I'll be taking the CPST course at in November) does them the 1st and 3rd Thursdays from 1-4. The three big girls are in school until 2:30 and then DD#3 has to go get an allergy shot after that. I guess I could try for a later appointment one week... It would be interesting to see how they react to my 3 year old rear facing. Heck, I could even put my almost 5 year old and 3 year olds rear facing if I wasn't babysitting :)

Mommy2Marcus

LOL!

I would say, it's never a bad plan to get your seats checked. Like you, after finding this board, I was pretty confident my seats were in right. I went and got them checked and aside from an overtightened tether, everything was correct. BUT, I was glad to have a second (and third) set of eyes on them.

If there's a check in proximity that you can get to easily, go for it, but I wouldn't stress too much. Just be prepared to be told he can move to a booster. :p

LOL! I am pretty prepared to be told he can go into a booster & probably told that I should turn the Nautilus into a booster. BUT that is NOT going to be happening anytime soon. He is way way way to wiggly for that, nor does he listen. Deffinatly will be haressed for at least another year in DH's car & then probably 2 in mine.

I would only go to a seat check (after finding this board) if I was comfortable with the techs running it and their certification. No more random firehouse or police checks. Also, I only have boosters and I'm pretty confident I can set them in the car correctly.

I am comfortable with the techs that are there ability to check my seats. I just do not like the information they seem to give out. I kind of want to go now just to see what they're telling parents of children that are my sons age. I want to see if they're promoting EH or putting them in boosters at this age. Plus it would be nice to check my install just to be on the safe side. The one firehouse I have been to they are all really nice & seem to understand about correct instalation.

Maybe I will just go armed with information about ERF & EH. Plus if nothing else, Marcus will get to see the fire trucks. :p

Pixels

General advice is to get your seats checked any time you make a major change (new vehicle, new seat, turning FFing) or any time you're just not sure. But yeah, probably most long-time members of this board are okay.

If a parent comes in with a child in a seat, not close to being outgrown, and no reason to pass the seat down, I don't even mention the possibility of moving on to the next step unless asked. Well, I do, as in "best practices are ... and the next step for your child is ..." But I don't suggest or encourage that the parent downgrade their child's safety, or go spend more money on a different seat, when what they've got works.

kaysmom

When I first found this board I drove an hour to have my MA checked and she was a great tech. They don't offer them anymore them anymore though:(, but if they did I woudl go when I turn DD FF.

I won't go to the Police Department in my town (the only place that does them) because I would just be wasting my time. I work with someone who takes his DD's seats there, and they put a locking clip on the center lap belt, and turned her FF at 11.5 months with no top tether, so I think I'll pass on getting my seats checked there.:mad:

msg221

I did go get my seats checked when I installed a new seat. Since I am driving around other people's children, I just felt better doing it. I actually found a tech who works at an auto repair shop!! I thought that was a great idea, to have a CPST at an auto repair facility! I think he may have been the owner.

One of our fire stations does seat checks and I almost want to go, just to see what they would say about the rear facing two year-olds and if they are giving out correct information!

disbugsmomma

I've never had my seats checked, although I have thought about it. I always have to work during the yearly event around here. :rolleyes: I'm pretty confident in my installs though. I do wonder what they would say if I brought Bug in rf though. :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC