dont even know what to say

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
At BRU today I noticed a tiny baby in a Snugride with an improvised 3pt harness. :eek: after talking to mom and dad, I found out they had bought the seat from a police officer friend and had it looked at by a local CPST-I. The harness had been this way when they bought it and of course they thought I was nuts, but once I showed them on a brand new seat they askede to fix there's. The harness was routed from the bottom of the seat, between the cover and foam to the covers top harness slot, down to the buckles, thru and back up thru the same slot in the cover, thru to the splitter plate:thumbsdown:

I was astounded when they told me who had looked at the seat and told them it was ok....she was one of my instructors. Should I say anything, to her or anyone else? It just blew me away that this would slip past her. The parents had so much faith in her, and that she had checked the seat, i ALMOST questioned myself, that i was wrong; until I saw the empty hole un the cover by babys hip, then I knew I was correct.

ADS

flutie128

I don't know. I fixed a seat for a family that sounds like it was similar. They were a friend of a friend and I notice while I was helping with her 2 month old. I fixed it and then showed her and she was very grateful. they used the lower slot for the bottom of the harness and the top slot for the top of the harness.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I can find a way. I havent seen her since my class but it wouldnt be hard to get in touch with her. I mean, what the heck so I say? " You've been a tech for 13yrs, taught hundreds of others techs, helped write the new state law regarding carseat usage, heck, even helped design a pediatric ambulance transport contraption(???) - but why didn't you notice this harness was threaded totally wrong?

I've been trying to wrap my head around it all night. What would be the projected movement of that baby and harness in a crash...:eek::eek::eek:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I have had parents swear to me that they installed the seat exactly the way I taught them... but it wasn't. I know I never told parents to use the wrong belt path. I know I never told them to improvise a tether if they didn't like the tether anchor that the manufacturer provided.

I don't know what happened, but I think there's at least a ghost of a chance that the parents "fixed" the seat after the CPST-I okayed it.

Maedze

I have had parents swear to me that they installed the seat exactly the way I taught them... but it wasn't. I know I never told parents to use the wrong belt path. I know I never told them to improvise a tether if they didn't like the tether anchor that the manufacturer provided.

I don't know what happened, but I think there's at least a ghost of a chance that the parents "fixed" the seat after the CPST-I okayed it.

I'm kinda thinking the same thing.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
When they first said that I thought the same thing, but when they said they had bough tit JUST like that, and taken it to the carseat class she taught and asked her if it was ok....It sounded like they at least bought it from a friend. I realize that they easily could have changed it, but there was just somethign about their complete ignorance and naivette that mad eme think they really were serious about not changing a thing.Baby was only 10days old, so they wouldnt have needed to change much yet. Ugh, I dunno. I figure I'll have to call her. There was just something about these people that just made me think they were telling the truth.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC