Britax Frontier 85

finn

Having re-looked at the photo's of ds in boosters I cant quite believe how tiny he looks (yes I know you can all say I told you so now lol :rolleyes:).

I am thinking of importing him a Britax Frontier 85, because the only seats that install ff in my car need a long belt path installation. I can buy seats here with a long belt path installation but they only harness up to 18kg/40lbs and he is 17.7kg/39lbs, hence the need for a higher weight seat.

It would cost in total $600 (ish) NZD to get it here, would you do it?

I do have a Britax Multi-Tech, a Britax Free-Way and a Radian XTSL that I would sell to off set the cost.

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I...would not. I would use the perfectly awesome, drool-worthy seats you HAVE that some of us here would die for, to keep him RFing. I can not imagine what sort of reasoning a person would go through to make sense of spending $600 to make their child LESS safe. The logic there fails me.

finn

Really seriously?

Does the logic make sense if I tell you that ds gets pins & needles in both legs in the Multi Tech after a 15 min ride to the store? That after 30 mins he is screaming and begging to get out? That we only time use it, is, as an around town seat on fri, sat & sun, and that the rest of the time he is in the Radian XTSL (which he only has 2kg/4.4lbs) more on the rf weight & that he has put on the 2kg in 8 months, so if he continues on that curve he will out grow the Radian in 8 months, by weight? & I cant get an acceptable ff install in my car (if I could install the Radian XTSL ff then I would just use that).

That he is on the top slots of the Multi Tech(with some room to grow), that is he on the top slots of the freeway with about 1/4 of an inch to grow? He grew 6cm/2.3 inches in the last 6 months, so he really doesnt have much time left in the freeway.

Really the Multi Tech isn't the be all and end all of seats. You can have it, I will send it to you.

This wouldn't be until his 4th birthday (in Jan).

Oh and that I believe after 4 kids should get a say in which way they ride and he is very vocal about it, he asked when he is 4 to go ff, i'm ok with that.

:shrug-shoulders:

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
I can understand, he's 4 and that's (in my book) certainly old enough to ff.

(I am still jealous of your Multi-Tech though, if you'd ever like to donate it I'd send you my address ;) )

I don't know much about the seats in your area, but if you really can't find anything to ff above 40 pounds I would consider importing the Frontier 85. I agree he looks tiny in a booster and I personally would be more comfortable with him in a 5 point for a bit longer :)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree that he's young and small for a booster, but I would be fine with him FFing. I don't share the Multi-Tech lust, so I wouldn't necessarily feel compelled to use it to its limits.

KiwiGem

I'll swap you a Frontier for the MT... ;) but I'm guessing you don't want a pink one :whistle: & I'm not sure if I can part with the Rushmore because my DS won't be too happy about sitting in a pink seat!

If you're ever up near Auckland way feel free to message me as you are welcome to try a Frontier in your car to see how your boy likes it if you haven't played with one IRL already.

I like the Frontiers - they're unlike anything else we have here for a combination seat & I am so glad I brought mine in (I was lucky in that I was able to get a couple in a shipping container from friends relocating from the US to NZ so didn't pay freight). And I was able to justify it by having two spectrum children who needed what the Frontiers or similar offered after exhausting every other legal option here.

I'm guessing the Evenflo Generations 65 won't work in your car either because of the belt path? Which only leaves the Radian which won't work either...

finn

Does the XTSL not install well forward facing?

No :( I was really hoping it would, my outer seats have a way way way forward of the bight buckle, so the xtsl (any seat) just twists, unless installed using a long belt path install and the middle seat has a weird hump with a dip in it at the bight, that is perfect for rf the xtal, the boot feet fit perfectly in the dip, making the install fairly upright :) But no good for ff at all.

I agree that he's young and small for a booster, but I would be fine with him FFing. I don't share the Multi-Tech lust, so I wouldn't necessarily feel compelled to use it to its limits.

Sweet :) Having had and used the multi tech i no longer have the lust for it lol

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:)
Wow, I just can't believe the expense to get one there, though. We love our Frontier, would love the 85 even more, I'd get one :)

finn

:)
Wow, I just can't believe the expense to get one there, though. We love our Frontier, would love the 85 even more, I'd get one :)

I know :( the only other options I have are the Evenflo Triumph Advance for $469, and I doubt I can get a good install with that either.

Maybe I need to buy a new car :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC