Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Need recommendation for a seat for DS (primary and secondary please!)

DS is 44" and 44lbs, will be 4yo next week. He's almost outgrown his Marathon.

We need a new carseat for our 2008 Sienna (Since he's over 40lbs, am I right to assume that he should no longer be latched, but use the seatbelt for install??) I'd like something that will last, since I plan on 5-point harnessing him until it's no longer safe to do so. We like Britax products, but are open to others that can accomodate his height.

My parents will be driving him to and from preschool 1 day a week and I need to get them a 5-point-harness carseat that also won't cost me an arm and a leg Safety is my #1 concern though!!

Thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Re: Need recommendation for a seat for DS (primary and secondary please!)

Is he outgrowing the Marathon by height? (shoulders even with/over the top slots) For your Sienna I would look at the Britax Frontier85, the Graco Nautilus & the Recaro Prosport, they are all harnessed seats that make decent boosters in the future.

For a secondary seat I would usually recommend the Evenflo Maestro, but it only has a 50lb weight limit and your DS may or may not reach 5-6yo (if you would be comfortable having him use a booster on occasion when he would reach that weight limit it would be a good option at under $100) Booster training (riding in boosters occasionally for short trips to learn to sit correctly in a booster) would be perfectly acceptable once he's 5.

I'm not positive (hopefully someone with a Toyota or a Latch manual can verify) but I believe Toyota defers to the carseat for a Latch limit. So check your carseat manual, they usually have a limit listed for if the vehicle doesn't specify a limit.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

4. Thank You from:

CPS Advocate

Unless the Marathon is brand new, you can install it with LATCH to 48 pounds in that vehicle.

Long term combination seats that will harness for a while longer and then convert to a good booster are the Graco Nautilus, Recaro Probooster and Britax Frontier 85.

A 'cheap' seat that would be a temporary option for your parents would be the Evenflo Maestro. It has nice tall top slots, but only a 50 pound weight limit, so make sure that 44 pounds is fully dressed with shoes!

Thank you both!

I did NOT know that about the Marathon! I will have to check the manual again. I believe I purchased it early 2009.

ETA - if he is a tall kid (my DH is 6'8" so this boy is gonna be tall) - which of those 3 for my car would you recommend then? Are they all equally comprable?

Yes, he is almost outgrown the Marathon in height. He is probably closer to 46lbs fully dressed, so can you recommend another seat for my parents that he might not outgrow too quickly? I don't mind spending a bit more for something that will last?

He isn't even 4 yet - he will be 4 on Sept 3, so he has a ways to go until I would feel comfortably letting him sit in a booster.

CPS Advocate

After the Maestro, the next combination seat I would recommend is the Graco Nautilus.

Thank you.

Would the Nautilus still be a safe, good carseat for my Sienna as well? Is there a reason that I should choose the Britax Frontier over the Nautilus?

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by ama223 View Post
    Thank you.

Would the Nautilus still be a safe, good carseat for my Sienna as well? Is there a reason that I should choose the Britax Frontier over the Nautilus?
    No particular reason. The Frontier has a harness height of about an extra 1.5", but the Nautilus is tall enough to harness even taller kids usually to around six.

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

I'd find somewhere to try both seats - some kids find the Nautilus confining, others like it just fine.

11. Thank You from:

For your primary seat I would choose the ProSport and for your secondary I would choose the Maestro
    Last edited by firemomof3; 08-23-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: changed ProBooster to ProSport
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt
    DD2 8y/o 45" 52lbs. backless
    DS 7y/o 51" 58lbs. ProBooster or backless

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by firemomof3 View Post
    For your primary seat I would choose the ProBooster and for your secondary I would choose the Maestro
    I'm assuming you meant ProSport, not Probooster, as the Probooster is really not an appropriate seat for a not-yet-four year old.

The ProSport is nice, but there's no particular reason based on the information she has provided to say it is the 'best' option out of the combination seats for the primary seat

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    I'm assuming you meant ProSport, not Probooster, as the Probooster is really not an appropriate seat for a not-yet-four year old.

The ProSport is nice, but there's no particular reason based on the information she has provided to say it is the 'best' option out of the combination seats for the primary seat
    Yes, I meant ProSport. I'll change it
    And its just my opinion that the ProSport is my #1 but yes, the GN is also an excellent choice.
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt
    DD2 8y/o 45" 52lbs. backless
    DS 7y/o 51" 58lbs. ProBooster or backless