Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Britax 70: a short, sad review

So, I finally got my paws on one. I went with rulers, tape measures and a good camera....and didn't take any measurements or photographs because I was so very disappointed.

The short version? My three year old, who fits rear facing in the My Ride with just under 2" of clearance to the top of the shell, has completely outgrown the new Britax seats rear facing.

And not only 'just' outgrown. His head is DEAD EVEN to the top of the shell. He is 31 pounds, 38" tall, and probably outgrew this seat rear facing more than six months ago...in other words, by 2.5 years.

The seat is still easy to install, but as others have noted, the recline function is flimsy and poorly designed....not at all ergonomic.

I'm disappointed, and frankly, a little embarrassed for Britax.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Britax 70: a short, sad review

How disappointing.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Really? Because my DD1 (from one of Darren's picture posts) has at least 1" above her head in the MyRide, and she still fits in the MA70 RF.

Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

CPS Advocate

Don't know what to tell you. I stood there, looked horrified, explained to the clerk why I was horrified, and then felt too depressed to muss around with it further.

I was working out a theory in my head on the way home about how, because the My Ride has a wider 'seating' area, his hips are further spread out, which means his spine can relax a bit, so he doesn't sit up so tall as he did in the BV70, but I didn't fully develop it. LOL.

I hear ya - I have lost the Britax love. I was super excited about these seats but now that I have actually gotten to see my daughter in one I find myself liking my Radian and Symphony even more.

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard

The more I read here the less excited I am about them. I really want to turn Kaitlin rfing again and was hoping these would work. The radian keeps over-reclining with Kaitlin in it. She's between 35 and 36 lbs so the 35lb rfing seats won't work. At target a few days ago I tried her in the roundabout (50 I think, not the new one), the mr, the ca, and the 40lb rfing scenera. I can't figure out how to post pics from my phone (droid 2.1 os) but the ca was the only one she really had room to grow in and I'm not that fond of it. At this point I'm done with britax except for the monarch we have. I can't believe, with all of the competition out there now, that they would actually make a seat with a shorter shell!

Amaris: If you download the photobucket app you can put pics from your phone straight to photobucket then copy the IMG code here.
    Nikki, Navy wife to Kevin and Mom to Jacob 6/05, 57in, and 62lbs riding in a harmony youth and other variuos backless boosters and Grace 11/09, 41in, and 40lbs riding in a Nauti (rear faced for 2y and 10 1/2 months)
    Baby Emily 7/12 , riding in a BV70

Carseat Crazy

That is really sad.

I bet they'll all be on clearance in a couple years like the C&S ones.
    Me & DH FF'ing in seatbelts
    DS 6/04 in a PWSG HBB
    DS 09/10 ERF in RA50

I seriously am not sure what Britax is doing. I really wish that they could get the Multi tech over here
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt
    DD2 8y/o 45" 52lbs. backless
    DS 7y/o 51" 58lbs. ProBooster or backless

11. Thank You from:

Sofi had at least 3 inches above her head in the My RIde, installed in my van last weekend. And she had less than 2 inches in the Marathon 70 installed in my van today She's also 31 pounds and 38 inches.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

CPS Technician

When I went back to BRU today they had the Boulevard70. Bella only had about 2inches left to RF and to FF the highest harness position was only about 2inches above her shoulders. My kid only has a 13inch torso! she really had no space in it either. I wanted tolike them, wanted them to live up to their (over-rated) reputation...I'm sticking with Radians.

Bella, 5yo 46lbs, FF in Nauti and XTSL
    Trace, 2/13, RF in KF30

Maybe we could all make a plea.
    You know, gotta give kudos to Britax for the Frontier issue..the seat had some serious issues at first, and they went and jumped right in and fixed a lot of it. Not that the new seat doesn't have issues, but they did man up and change most of the important stuff, especially harness height and beltpath.

Maybe they are here..and listening....and noting the ABJECT HORROR we all feel about these new seats.
    Britax? Are you listening? Why on earth would you LOWER your shells?? You have to know you were already taking a hard hit in recommendations here, because you had ALREADY become the carseats with higher limits that had the LOWEST shells...we've been directing people to complete airs, true fits, radians en masse. And so...in reposnse to that...you......LOWERED your shells? *blink, blink* Really? I realize most engineers don't get a lot of exposure to ...people..or..the sun. But some of your reps..we KNOW you....we TALK to you......how on earth could you have let this happen?? Or maybe you didn't. Maybe you were in there, screaming "must have higher shells and slots!!!" Whatever happened...please fix it. Fix it quickly. The new honeycomb technology stuff seems great, just make the seats bigger.

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

15. Thank You from:

CPS Advocate

The sad thing is, if the head rest were included in the rear facing height it would be such a grand little seat! Nice short profile for n00bs at 45 degrees, as tall as the True Fit when the head rest is up. And it WAS easy to install. And the LATCH holders were nifty! (Ok so the recline thingy is ridiculous and I don't know how a MONKEY quality assurance approver passed it, let alone a human with a high school diploma). But! I could overlook that!

I've decided they think we're stupid. And I'm offended.

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
    and noting the ABJECT HORROR we all feel about these new seats.
    Call me crazy, but I think you're overstating this a bit.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Maybe the "all" part.

I'm certainly feeling some abject horror, knowing what's coming my way in the next few months from the local store that gives out my card, and only sells Britax convertibles.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

I'm not at all impressed with the seat, but I'm not exactly abjectly horrified. As others have written, it'll get many kids RF to 3 and FF to 4.5ish -- that's not superb, but I'd be thrilled if parents at a check actually did that.

I am horrified that they've actually taken steps backward in terms of shell height, and that they raised the weight limits without raising harness/shell heights. As Maezde wrote, it seems as if they think parents are stupid (and okay, yes, there are some days I think so too) and it's kind of insulting.

(I wonder if they planned to include the headrest and then it didn't pass? Just speculation...)
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

My problem will come when I have to explain that they just paid 2-3 times as much, for a seat that will last less in the safest way to transport their kid (the parents I see actually want to ERF quite frequently), or that the seat will not ACTUALLY harness (or usually rear-face) to the listed limits, and that the headrest can't be used above the shell. Not to mention the problems with the recline I forsee dealing with... *sigh*

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    I've decided they think we're stupid. And I'm offended.
    Makes a whole lotta sense! lol

Bella, 5yo 46lbs, FF in Nauti and XTSL
    Trace, 2/13, RF in KF30

As a formerly "stupid" parent, and before that nanny with my own carseat, I really did believe that the only way kids outgrew seats was weight limits. Britax raised their weight limit, so now theirs is the highest of any seat in most stores. Therefore, it will last the longest, right?

Of course, now I know better, but that's because of this website.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    Britax raised their weight limit, so now theirs is the highest of any seat in most stores. Therefore, it will last the longest, right?
    That is what the parents I encounter at BRU every single time think. I have given up trying to be helpful when I am there... The AOE goes to 100 pounds, so it has to be the best.
    Kristen
    Mama to Abby~1/24/07~42#~FFing in a Radian XTSL, and 2 Turbo HBBs
    Kendall~3/17/11~22#~RFing in an ETA, TrueFit, and 80SL
    and Ledger~4/4/09~35#~FFing in a Frontier, Frontier85, and Maestro