Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Decisions- have to put all the car seats back

I have all the car seats out of the van. I will have to put them back after washing them and the interior of the van. The setup we had for vacation was very good, but not the sort of thing I'd want all the time since it involved putting dd1 inbetween two rfing seats. Give me some opinions because I'm looking for change. Here's the pertinent info:

Vehicle: 2007 sienna. 2nd row can fit anything across. 3rd rowassenger's side seat is about 19 inches wide. The middle and driver's side are about 13 and 16 inches wide.

Kids are:
    dd1 age 10.5, 65 pounds, 18.5 inch torso she likes the regent, but I'd like her back in a booster
    dd2 age 9, 65 lbs, 18.5ish inch torso prefer booster
    ds1 age 7.5 55 lbs, 17 inch torso prefer high back booster
    dd3 age 5.5 35 lbs 14.5 inch torso rear or forward facing is fine
    ds2 age 3.5 30 lbs 14 inch torso rear-facing
    dd4 age 14 months, 18 lbs rear-facing

Seats:
    two radian 80s
    true fit premier
    regent
    two vivos
    bodyguard
    harmony literider
    cosco ambassador
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Decisions- have to put all the car seats back

Lap shoulder and tether in all positions? Do you have school dropoffs, and if so, does the 5.5yo need to get out?
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie_R View Post
    Lap shoulder and tether in all positions? Do you have school dropoffs, and if so, does the 5.5yo need to get out?
    Lap-shoulder belts and headrests in all positions. No tether for third row, driver's side.

There are no drop off situations or car pools or anything. I just need the kids to get in with the least bit of fuss and whining. 5 year old can buckle herself, but sometimes needs help unbuckling the crotch strap in the radian. The older kids have been helpful with the younger ones lately.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Hmmm, ok. Well, here's one option, don't know if it's a good match for kids and seats but it's a jumping off point

2nd Row
    Driver 9yo, Ambassador *Assumes this seat needs to fold
    Center 14mo, Radian 80
    Passenger 3yo, TrueFit

3rd Row
    Driver 5yo, FFing Radian (tethered)
    Center 7yo, Bodyguard
    Passenger 10yo, Vivo

That way the 10yo has the "enclosed" feeling of the Vivo (unless she's too tall for it?) and you have the lightweight backless on the flip seat. Radian center should allow the seat to flip. And 5yo is right behind the flip seat, so easy to reach for buckling help.

What doesn't work about that situation? (LOL, if you're like me -- gotta start with something and then tweak what doesn't work until it does.)

I am double posting to add that I think we should have an event in the carseat Olympics that involves arranging your van, my Pilot, ShannaLeah's Suburban, and a few similar situations. It would be awesome! LOL!

Forgot to add: the radian does not work well rear-facing on the middle-most seat. The kids can get in and out without folding the second row seats. If the radian is rfing on a middle row seat, it can fold enough for even big and tiny people to get into the back.

I've now washed the van. I need to vacuum the seats and decide which covers need to be washed.
    Christine *mom* to

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie_R View Post
    Hmmm, ok. Well, here's one option, don't know if it's a good match for kids and seats but it's a jumping off point

2nd Row
    Driver 9yo, Ambassador *Assumes this seat needs to fold
    Center 14mo, Radian 80
    Passenger 3yo, TrueFit

3rd Row
    Driver 5yo, FFing Radian (tethered)
    Center 7yo, Bodyguard
    Passenger 10yo, Vivo

That way the 10yo has the "enclosed" feeling of the Vivo (unless she's too tall for it?) and you have the lightweight backless on the flip seat. Radian center should allow the seat to flip. And 5yo is right behind the flip seat, so easy to reach for buckling help.

What doesn't work about that situation? (LOL, if you're like me -- gotta start with something and then tweak what doesn't work until it does.)
    3rd row driver's side has no thether for the radian.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

I had it in my head as no tether on the passenger side

Swap the Vivo and Radian then, and one of the biggies can help her unbuckle.

Just curious. Why would you put the 10 year old in a high back, but the 9 year old in a backless?
    Christine *mom* to

I cleaned out the seats. Only one radian cover needs washing and I have a spare. I found out that the 65 cover doesn't have room for comfort foam. (Perhaps the cover is too old for comfort foam.)

I asked the kids which seats they preferred to sit in.

Dd1: 1st regent, 2nd literider, 3rd bodyguard
    dd2: 1st vivo, 2nd any backless booster, 3rd bodyguard
    ds1: 1st vivo, 2nd any seat except bodyguard
    dd3 1st regent, 2nd radian

I think dd1 has nearly outgrown the regent. Perhaps I should check. I really don't think that I want her in the regent full time. I like dd3 in it because she can unbuckle herself all the time. It is a very wide, very heavy beast of a seat, though. I have one more cover to put back on and then I really need to make a decision and put seats in the van.
    Christine *mom* to

Quote Originally Posted by christineka View Post
    Just curious. Why would you put the 10 year old in a high back, but the 9 year old in a backless?
    I guessed (not knowing your kids) that if she preferred the regent, she might prefer the confinement of a seat "around" her, vs sitting "on" a backless. Either child would be okay in a backless, and I thought I remembered earlier threads stating your 9yo preferred a backless. (Though I certainly could be mistaken on that.)

It was more a matter of making both girls adaquetly safe (9yo) and then moving the older to something more restrictive.

If that's not their preferences, then feel free to ignore -- but those were the thoughts behind it.

ETA: Is the Bodyguard the only thing that fits third row center?