Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Clicky

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know that I'd buy another seat to rear face longer at 3.5 years. Others would disagree. I'd probably pat myself on the back and turn her.

Wendy

autumnlily

I'm on board with not purchasing another seat to keep her RF unless it is within your budget and can be passed on to another child. Will your MA expire before your little man can finish his RF days?

I'd feel and have turned my child by 3y7m safe with the choice to go FF.

glockchick

I wouldn't buy her a new seat if you have one she can use.

If you'll have to buy a seat anyway, I might consider getting one with a higher rfing limit and plan to pass it down to the baby later. :thumbsup:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
A week ago I would have said FF, but now I would say RF, having just been in a crash. My own 3.5 is going back RF even under protest.

babyherder

Is there a reason she can't rf longer in the MA? I feel like I'm missing something. But I would probably buy a seat with a higher rf limit and pass it down to the baby later.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I voted clicky, but only because I'm not entirely sure I subscribe to RF "as long as possible," especially with a lightweight who probably could RF until college.

Given that she'll need a harnessed seat for another three-ish years, and you have one younger who will also need a seat, I would probably go for one that will allow her to RF long, but also make a good FFing seat. TrueFit is a good solution; Complete Air would be another. I would probably skip something like the MR, since it probably won't last particularly long, and you don't need the weight. The third choice would be a Radian; non-SL or 65SL since there's no sense in paying for the ERF weight capacities.

It's funny, I agree with An Aurora's perspective... I think having been in a (relatively) recent crash, at a decent rate of speed, clouds it. Before my Feb crash, I had been rearended a time or two, but that's nothing compared to wrong-side-of-the-highway head on. Nobody was in my vehicle, but looking back at my seats and thinking about how they would have performed in that specific accident, I was so very very glad I knew about ERF. In fact, my FFer was the only one that would have concerned me, but at not-yet-5 and 48lbs, I didn't have a choice with him... and his seat was the closest to the point of collision.

That said -- I certainly wouldn't think you are a negligent parent if you opt to FF her. At 3y7m, she's past several crucial years of development, and into the age of questionable benefit. I opt to err on the side of caution, but I don't think that those who feel the benefit is minimal are negligent, either.

Mommy0608

I was in the same predicament. My DD is 29lbs right now, at 4yrs 2mo. I turned her at 3.5, when she was 34lbs fully clothed in winter gear. I had to buy a new seat regardless, because I didn't like her current seat FF in my van. I briefly considered a Radian, but decided to get a Frontier. Now, she's lost some weight and fluctuates between 28-30lbs, and I'm leaving her FF... however, the other day we rode in DH's car and she begged to go RF, so I let her. She's back FF in my van now.

If you have to buy a new seat regardless of which way she faces, it's really a toss up, and you have to decide what you're comfortable with. For me, I was comfortable turning my DD around, but that's just me. Good luck with your decision!

christineka

If you have to buy a new seat anyway, I vote for the one that is good rear-facing and forward facing that can be used until your dd goes to a booster. Something like the radian, true fit, or complete air would be good. I don't subscribe to rfing as long as possible for skinny minnies, but rfing to age 4 or 5 is optimal. I don't think it would be bad to turn a 3.5 year old forward facing either. My 5.5 year old dd rode rfing for the past month. She had no problems with it. She likes forward facing too.

ilo

I guess I would buy a RF seat if you can comfortably afford it and you have no either reasons not to continue RF. I just got a Radian last week for my 3 year 3mo old DD. She hit 31lbs with out clothes and her Boulevard was one of those older 33lbs limit seats. My reasoning was that as we can afford it, she does not complain and we don't complain why should we turn her around as she is safer RF. I think we try to make it to 5. We will move to Europe in 6mo and I need to buy 2 seats from there so I will get two more RF seats for my over 3.5 year old. I was debating what to do and asked DH and he said we should continue RF as she is still so tiny (daddy's little baby girl :) ).

I have to say though that I would never ever judge anybody for turning their over 3 year old FF.

Mommy2Marcus

I think it hugely depends on how you feel. I turned my son FF at about 3 years 4 months. I did alot of thinking & aggonizing over it, but decided in the end that I was fine with that decision.

If you have to buy a new seat anyway, then I would probably buy her something she would be able to RF in if you think you might regret turning her. If you're going to turn her FF & be fine with that without feeling bad, then I think the Frontier is the way to go.

NVMBR02

If I had a seat that she fit in rear facing I would leave her. I probably would not buy a seat to keep her rear facing. I would go with the frontier if it were me.

melniemi

Baby is 1/2" from outgrowing his keyfit and dd2 has 1" of torso growth left in her marathon. So I'll pass the marathon down to baby and need something else.

I do have an extra frontier - pending sale or possibly trade for a TFP - dd1 is close-ish to outgrowing hers so I want a FR85. I'll keep one for dd2 to get later.

So...I have 1 marathon and 2 Frontiers. Baby will get the marathon. I have an offer to trade 1 FR for a TFP.......but the FR was pending sale first - was supposed to get paid on Friday, so I guess I could go ahead with the trade, then I'd be set.

So I can trade 1 FR for the TFP and be set for awhile. Then next spring, I could get dd1 a FR85 and pass down her FR. Or if the FR sale goes through, I can buy a TFP or a FR85.

Thanks for the input.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Since it sounds like it won't cause undue hardship to your family, I'd go ahead and get the TFP and RF. I would opt for RFing pretty much at all costs for an under 2, sacrificing whatever was necesary. I would opt for RFing when reasonably possible, and would go to moderate lengths in that regard, to RF an under 4. I would RF an over 4 if it did not cause undue hardship or inconveniece to my family situation, but would probably not go to any serious lengths to make it happen. So...since in your situation it sounds like you woudn't be taking food from hungry childrens mouths, and the TFP would get many full years of use by potentially multiple children, I'd absolutely opt for the RFing option.

simplychels

Pretty much the same stats as my DD.

We are purchasing another seat to RF longer :twocents: We have 2 seats that can rf her easily, but the 3rd is outgrown at 30lbs and thats our "spare" seat. So on those occasions I still am not comfortable ff'ing her.

And because DD is such a light weight petite little girl I know she wont be boostering anytime soon. Thus I have zero apprehensions about buying more convertibles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC