latchable boosters question

vamom

So if I have a 2007 Toyota Prius and want to use a booster that can be latched, do I have to move ds to a noncenter position?

I seem to recall that when I purchased teh car someone looked it up in teh latch manual and said that the center latch could not be borrowed. If that is correct, does that apply to boosters as well?

Ds is still happy and fitting in his husky, but has been mentioning a booster here and there. He has a good inch of torso height left and one seat has 11 months left. I just wanted to start feeling out the booster market, liked the idea of a latchable booster, and wanted to leave him in the center where he is happiest.

I'm not worried about an empty seat as ds is always with me, but just was attched to teh idea that latch offered some possible improvement in side crash numbers - is that correct?
TIA

ADS

Maedze

Rigid LATCH may offer some side impact protection. By nature of rigid LATCH, yes, you would have to move it outboard, because it requires the standard 11" between anchors. If you were in the middle position, you'd have too many (or not enough) inches between the middle borrowed anchors.

I would be fine with flexible LATCH 'sharing' for booster use, but I'm not sure that it offers the side impact improvement that rigid does.

Keep in mind also that due to the 'tippiness' of some boosters, they may work better outboard than on the 'hump' in the center seat.

vamom

As of now, is the monteray the least tippy booster? I like the idea of rigid LATCH, but he prefers the center. Is it a correct assumption that the center offers more safety then rigid latch? I do have rear side airbags.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions about the special needs seat that looks like a monteray with a positioning only harness?

Ds is almost 8, 52#, 52", and has low tone among other issues.

Maedze

As of now, is the monteray the least tippy booster? I like the idea of rigid LATCH, but he prefers the center. Is it a correct assumption that the center offers more safety then rigid latch? I do have rear side airbags.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions about the special needs seat that looks like a monteray with a positioning only harness?

Ds is almost 8, 52#, 52", and has low tone among other issues.

Absolutely no way to know the answer to this question, since we have no standards for side impact protection. I can say I really wouldn't be worried about having an 8 year old outboard in a car with side impact airbags.

The Monterey is quite broad-based but also has a habit of fitting the shoulders of slim-to-average children poorly. Try it to make sure the fit is good.

The seat you're thinking of isn't a Monterey, it's a Recaro, called a Monza or something along those lines. It has an internal positioning harness. I do not believe it's offered for sale in the US.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Cool product!

Yeah, expensive... I might look at the Frontier 85 for slightly higher top slots then it makes a great booster, the headwings are very supportive, and the shoulderbelt fits even my 4 year old very well (for 10 second trips across parkinglots, lol), plus it can have the secure guard clip added to make a fourth harness point (crotch strap, holds the lapbelt low).

vamom

Does the frontier85 have higher harness slots then the husky? I only sat him in it briefly, but I didn't think it looked any higher.

He is a skinny little thing, but he has shoulders. When I bought the husky he was 3ish and I remember trying the marathon. He was all squished in it shoulder wise. He also comlains that his nauty crowds his shoulders and makes them hurt. We also tried a vivo and he was all stuffed in it.

No one carries sunshine kids seats or the frontier85 here. Will have to check them out on the next roadtrip.

Splash

I don't want him in a Monterey. Parkway would be good, though. I don't really think a FR is gonna give him that much more room, but you could latch it and use the SG clip as a booster.
Tell him to hold out till December and then he'll have his pick.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh yeah, you have a Husky, FR85 isn't much taller (it's taller than the Regent, though)... but the headwings and wide shoulder space make it very different from the Nautilus, it really is more or less like a Husky with head wings and cupholders.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC