Two paint sticks, a ruler, and a paperclip...

Irishmama

make a dandy tool for checking how close a child is to the top of the shell for rear-facing. I noticed a lot of posters asking how to measure for the 1" rule, and I thought this might help. It's really handy because it's easy to get the top paint stick level with the top of the shell, and it's an easy visual to make sure you have the lines straight, and the ruler self-adjusts to measure how much growing room left. (I had to use a teddy bear as a stunt double as dd2 was not willing to pose for pictures.) Teddy has three inches of height above his head, so two inches of growing room left.

Just put the paper clip on one paint stick, tape to hold it in place, and slide the ruler through the paper clip. Ta da! I tried to zoom in, but on my camera it was to blurry. But you can get the general idea. I'll get close-ups if I can get the camera to cooperate. :)

I put it in an album, I don't have enough storage space to add as an attachment. If there's a better way to do this, let me know! I don't have photobucket.

http://www.car-seat.org/album.php?albumid=133

You could also use it for checking how much growing room to the next harness slot, if you wanted to be really exact with your measurement. ;)

ETA: Got the pictures in the post. Thanks, NannyMom!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
ADS

NannyMom

How the heck can I get these pictures to appear in the thread, not as a link to an album? Help please!

When you are viewing your picture in your album, there should be a line underneath that says "picture URL" and another that says "BB code". Copy the BB code and paste into your message.

Irishmama

Hmmm, I changed the album from public to private just so it wouldn't be taking up room on the forum's album page. Perhaps that's why? I'll switch it to public and see if that fixes. The pictures in the post are the same as in the album, but if I add more pictures, I will post them in the thread, since I know how now (thanks NannyMom!).

Are there any other pictures anyone would like me to take?

Irishmama

LOL, no but my brother is and my Dad is very mechanically inclined. I was a bio/chem/pre-vet major in college. :D

I looked at the pictures again last night, and I was thinking that the top paint stick in the side view is about 1/4" off from level, and I should do it again. What do you think?

It's a good thing if DH thinks I'm nuts, right? :D

Athena

LOL, no but my brother is and my Dad is very mechanically inclined. I was a bio/chem/pre-vet major in college. :D

I looked at the pictures again last night, and I was thinking that the top paint stick in the side view is about 1/4" off from level, and I should do it again. What do you think?

It's a good thing if DH thinks I'm nuts, right? :D

Yes, it's a great thing! :D

I was thinking about this today and thinking about how a lightweight level could be added to provide a more exact indicator to when the angle is perpendicular to the seat back. That's something I am having trouble with telling. Or something else, like a paper cut to 30 degrees to set against the seat back to which the instrument is already attached to perpendicularly. Does that make any sense? I've lost it, haven't I? :D

Irishmama

Yes, it's a great thing! :D

I was thinking about this today and thinking about how a lightweight level could be added to provide a more exact indicator to when the angle is perpendicular to the seat back. That's something I am having trouble with telling. Or something else, like a paper cut to 30 degrees to set against the seat back to which the instrument is already attached to perpendicularly. Does that make any sense? I've lost it, haven't I? :D

My DH will definitely think I'm nuts now. :D

You did lose me, lol. I'm not sure what you're thinking, but if it's what I'm thinking, a level wouldn't work because it would make it level to the ground. I think. I just held the top paint stick tight and flat to the top of the car seat shell, and since it's straight and rigid, it's naturally perpendicular to the top of the shell. I had to use painter's tape to hold it for me in the pictures, cuz I ran out of hands.

I guess you could use a carpenter's square to get it set first if you really wanted to be exact, then remove the carpenter's square before putting the child in, I think the carpenter's square might be a little sharp. Ooh, wait a minute, you could cut a piece of rigid cardboard in the shape of a right triangle. Might throw the angle off because of the padding though.

Wouldn't our geometry teachers be proud? :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC