Size minimums for booster

tl01

Assuming a child is of a reasonable booster age, at what size would you let them ride in a booster. I'm thinking of my friend whose son is 4 and 32ish pounds. He is a peanut. I'm not saying he's old enough now... Just thinking in the future.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
In my head I have a sliding scale that goes something like 4y/40#, 5y/35#, 6y/30#. I probably wouldn't quibble over a single pound, and it goes without saying that proper use and fit is a requirement (in other words, even if the kid is 7y, if she's only 32# she won't ride in my daughter's Monterey because it won't fit her).

brightredmtn

You have two friends who have DSs who are 4 and weigh 32ish pounds ;).

I'm thinking if my DS is 40lbs when he's 5 and can sit properly and fits properly then I might entertain letting him ride in a booster if he really needed to, maybe... but he'll probably still be RF then.

christineka

IMO Age 5 or 6 and meets the minimums for that booster, the belt fits properly, and the child can sit properly the whole time.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I don't think size truly has much to do with it. I know there has been some speculation that smaller kids might submarine more, but I don't know that we have any hard data on that in regards to size of child, only AGE of child, is that not correct?
Bone maturation and muscle strength is going to be the same in a 30 lb 6 yo and a 55 lb 6 yo, which is more important than size.

tl01

I don't think size truly has much to do with it. I know there has been some speculation that smaller kids might submarine more, but I don't know that we have any hard data on that in regards to size of child, only AGE of child, is that not correct?
Bone maturation and muscle strength is going to be the same in a 30 lb 6 yo and a 55 lb 6 yo, which is more important than size.

That's what I was thinking about bone maturation but I would think size would make some difference. All our friends are putting their kids into boosters now and I know she's going to ask what I think. In my car he'll stay in the radian. I'm just wondering how I should advise her. Obviously there are boosters that he can technically fit in at his size according to the minimums... But I can't imagine that would be his beat option.

He tends to slouch a lot in his regular seats but it seems like when I mention seat belt fit, most parents ignore that. They reall just focus on the info on the box.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC