Freecycle ad

Splash

I'm not sure about this.

FREE: Britax Marathon car-seat
Car-seat was manufactured January 19, 2005
Cover is black and gray. All original pieces and instruction book.
Rear facing 5-33 pounds, front facing 33-65 or shoulders over top harness position. Will last most children rear facing until 3 years old and front facing until 5 years old or until January 19, 2011. Do not use this seat after January 19, 2011 or after your child is to heavy or too tall. You will need a booster after this seat.

THIS CAR-SEAT HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN A WRECK.

I was rear ended and the car-seat was not occupied at the time. It was put in fron facing with the latch system. According to Britax, the accident was minor and the seat does not need to be replaced. However my insurance is paying to replace it so I am going to. Since I am getting a new seat and my son is almost to big for this, I am giving it away.
PLEASE ONLY TAKE THIS SEAT IF YOU TRUELY CAN NOT AFFORD A NEW SEAT FOR YOUR CHILD!!
A used car-seat is a risk, and this seat HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN A WRECK. Normal guidelines are to destroy a seat after any crash but this seat meets the criteria for a minor crash and therefore is considered by Britax to still be safe to use. However you must make your own decisions as a parent.
This is a very easy to use seat and very safe when undamaged. All car-seats are equally safe if used correctly every time.

I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY NEGATIVE OUTCOME FROM USING THIS CRASHED CAR-SEAT. I recommend that you buy your child a new car-seat and do not use a used one. However if you can not afford a appropriate seat for your child, this seat is available.

Hmmm.... should I email her and suggest she give it to a tech for training? On one hand, if the seat really was only in a minor crash and Britax says it's okay, this would be great for a low income parent who needs a higher weight seat. But at the same time, I am squeamish to see someone take a used AND crashed seat, even if the person appears to know her stuff.

ADS

broken4u05

I think it would be best for a tech to use. Not sure if i would want another kid in the seat. It is a hard one

Loves2sing

The one thing that is good about the ad is the fact that she is actually telling people about the accident. You just know so many people wouldn't! So good for her!

TheRealMacGyver

The one thing that is good about the ad is the fact that she is actually telling people about the accident. You just know so many people wouldn't! So good for her!

I agree, they are at least disclosing all the information, plus providing even more information that many people don't otherwise know. Plus not looking to make any money to boot! I think we all know that someone with lower standards could easily get $100 for this seat. I think it's a tough call.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I think it is okay for her to give it away, Britax says the seat is okay use. On the other hand if I were looking for a seat it would bother me it was in a wreck and could I trust her that the seat really is okay!?

Really though, she sounds as if she just really wants to help someone in need otherwise she would just sell it.

JaRylan

You could always email her and suggest that she give it to a tech for training or maybe she could provide the letter from Britax saying the crashed seat is okay to use. Tough call. I agree it would be a great opportunity for someone who couldn't otherwise afford an appropriate seat for their child.

southpawboston

i'd say if the police report for the accident is consistent with britax's guidelines for keeping it, then i'd rather see it go to a low-income family than to a tech for training.

skipspin

I'll bet there's a tech who would love it :-D LOL On the other hand if Britax says it's okay and she's telling about the accident I can't give her a hard time at all.

I was subscribed to freecycle emails, but decided I'd better unsubscribe before baby came and I ended ip with 300 emails and no time to read them. I always miss the good stuff...

Synchro246

Her words all line up with reality. I doubt someone would make up that it met the criteria for a minor crash as per Britax if they cared enough to know about that stuff. I like that she says it forward faces 33-65 lb! LOL. That's nice.
If someone takes that seat they doin much better than the other seats they probably would have accepted off Freecycle.

Loves2sing

I wonder if you could double check with Britax by using the registraion #? They would have the documentation that it had been in an accident if she had called them wouldn't you think?

LuvBug

dang it sounds like someone on here made that post lol! Her wording is very consistant with best practice... only downfall is the seat was in an accident, but she tells of it and says it was minor that britax would allow it. Still I personally would never take it, but someone in the area it is good to look at it. Maybe it could even be a tech and she is just trying to be helpful ;)

Id give her a call just to see who and what lol!

abacus2

That looks like a great offer for someone who really needs a high weight seat. I don't think Britax would say to keep using the seat if it really wasn't safe. I really hope there's soon a large 2-3 yr old riding in a safe seat instead of a backless booster.

Splash

I emailed her earlier today and she emailed me back. She really knew her stuff! She has another child that was in a rear facing Roundabout (at 2 years old!) and she destroyed the RA (because it was occupied at the time of the crash) and replaced it with a Boulevard, and she's getting a Regent for her oldest child. She said she's not willing to give away the RA because her son was in it, but she knows that the Marathon is okay to still use, so she just doesn't feel right throwing it away.

My friend Lori is going to take it from her! She has a five year old, 3 year old, and 2 year old in a Titan (5 year old), Bolero (3 year old), and Apex (two year old). Yes I am aware that that configuration seems bizarre, but it's what the kids are happy with and her five year old still fits in the Titan with about half an inch to spare, but it's getting pretty nasty and it's impossible to adjust. She's working 1 full time and 2 part time jobs and going to school, so she has NO money. She's gonna ditch the Titan and put her oldest daughter in the Marathon. I called her about it and she was totally thrilled and was fine with it being in a wreck if it is still safe to use. The lady who is giving it away says she'll show me pictures of the damage to the cars if it makes me feel better.

Cool! Freecycle finally paid off for us! I was going to buy Lori another Apex when Dani outgrew the Titan (because, funnily enough, her five year old is the ONLY one that fits in it) and now I won't have to! Her youngest is 36 pounds and her middle is 32 pounds, and Dani is 34 pounds, so RF is out for all of them (though she did keep the youngest RF until 34 pounds on my advice. Of course he was in a TITAN and I didn't know he weighed that much... she just knew he was supposed to stay RF so she never turned him around!)

I told her to join our community! I am SO THRILLED that there is someone else within 50 miles of me who uses carseats correctly!

Simplysomething

Splash, I was reading your OP, and I was thinking--aside from the giving away a crashed seat---she sounds like one of us, and suggest you asking her to come here. lol

JaRylan

They (carseat frea...I mean carseat compassionate people) do exist in real life! I'm so glad that this all worked out.

lovinwaves

What a great outcome Splash! My first initial thought was that this seat would be really great for someone needing a HWH seat.

broken4u05

I am glad she knows her stuff and she should come here. And i think the right person got the seat. i am glad it worked out

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC