(hoping y'all don't get tired of helping mama's pick out a car seat)

mommygraham

If you had three children that were the sizes of my kids (see siggy below), and your youngest was outgrowing her bucket seat, what would you do?

A) Purchase a convertible for DD2
B) Purchase a harnessed booster for DD1 and pass down her convertible to DD2

And what kind?

Set aside all costs and widths (assuming that there was a minivan with plenty of room for these three children) and only consider the phenominal car seats that you think are most age/weight-appropriate. :)

Oooh yea, fun game!

ADS

NVMBR02

Since your oldest is FFing and space isn't an issue I would go with the combination seat for your oldest. I would look at the Garco Nautilus, Britax Frontier85 and the Recaro ProSport.

Evolily

The three combination seats you'll see recommended most often are the ones Mommyto2 suggested. They're all great seats that will last until an appropriate booster age, which one you pick will depend on personal preference. My only other thought is the Evenflo Maestro and the (hopefully) soon to be released Safety 1st Rumi Air. We don't know that much about the Rumi, but the Maestro is a good option as long as you are ok with purchasing another booster seat down the road, and also the most affordable option.

Keep in mind that when you pay extra for a seat you're not so much paying for extra safety as you are for "bells and whistles" as well as how long the seat will last. The Frontier 85 will last longest with the tallest harness, however most kids do not need harnessed as long as it will harness. The Nautilus won't last as long as the Frontier 85 (will last longer than the 80 lb version) but will last a little bit longer than the ProSport. The Maestro has a top harness comparable to the prosport.

I'd get a FR85 for the oldest. :)

Why would you limit the selection to one seat, when there are several that meet her requirements :confused: .

glockchick

Why would you limit the selection to one seat, when there are several that meet her requirements :confused: .

Because she asked....

If you had three children that were the sizes of my kids (see siggy below), and your youngest was outgrowing her bucket seat, what would you do?

And that's what I would do because it's my favorite of the options available. :)

I'm sorry if I made it sound like the only option. It obviously isn't. It's just what I would do if I had the room. :)

firemomof3

I would get a ProSport for your oldest :thumbsup: I like the GN a lot but with the ProSport you *shouldn't* get any head slump.

pj2rc

The three combination seats you'll see recommended most often are the ones Mommyto2 suggested. They're all great seats that will last until an appropriate booster age, which one you pick will depend on personal preference. My only other thought is the Evenflo Maestro and the (hopefully) soon to be released Safety 1st Rumi Air. We don't know that much about the Rumi, but the Maestro is a good option as long as you are ok with purchasing another booster seat down the road, and also the most affordable option.

Keep in mind that when you pay extra for a seat you're not so much paying for extra safety as you are for "bells and whistles" as well as how long the seat will last. The Frontier 85 will last longest with the tallest harness, however most kids do not need harnessed as long as it will harness. The Nautilus won't last as long as the Frontier 85 (will last longer than the 80 lb version) but will last a little bit longer than the ProSport. The Maestro has a top harness comparable to the prosport.

Presuming DS1 and DD2 get and use the Radian's until they are old enough for boosters ... there really is no reason for OP's DD1 to get a Maestro. I have Maestro and really like it, but that's because with the seats I have or had at the time I purchased it for DD1, I was sure it would be passed down to DD2 for harnesses and regardless of seat choice, I would have to buy boosters for DD1. So there was no reason for me to consider a more costly seat w/ better booster. If I were OP -- I would get a seat that
I though could be the last seat for DD1 - a harness that goes a good booster ...or a booster only if I thought that she was mature enough. Unless cost were a factor and the cost of a Maesto and future booster was cheaper, or the cost was about the same in the end and reduced my initial outlay of $.

ETA: sorry, jus saw DD1's stats -- I would not get her a booster only.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
But, on the other hand, pj2rc, given her children's size, the Maestro plus booster route might be better. I can't speak for the Frontier, but the Nautilus, for example, tends not to fit kids well until they've outgrown it in harnessed mode. I can vouch for this with my 5.5yo charge; six months ago the Nautilus booster fit was unacceptable (he was at second slots from the top,) now having grown a bit he's at the top slots and it's borderline, but acceptable. I expect in another six months he'll fit it well.

OTOH, when you have children as slight as the OP's, a Nautilus will likely not be the last seat they'll need, because they won't outsize the Nauti until they're like ten. But the Maestro itself fits smaller booster riders well (I believe,) and when DD1 moves to a Turbo at, say, seven, it will be the cost of the Maestro + Turbo instead of the Nautilus + Turbo, know what I mean?

I want to say the same fit is characteristic of the Frontier, although not to the same extreme (and furthermore I think the F85 is overkill for such a petite child.) The ProSport, if it's like the Young Sport, may tend to fit smaller booster riders well, and that may ultimately be the best marriage of current fit plus long-term usage.

Lastly, Maestro + Turbo is the least expensive option what's listed in this thread, aside from maybe an on-sale Nautilus.

mommygraham

Because she asked....

And that's what I would do because it's my favorite of the options available. :)

I'm sorry if I made it sound like the only option. It obviously isn't. It's just what I would do if I had the room. :)

I def didn't take your advice as being 'my only option'. I really wanted to know y'alls first picks, thanks! :)

I would get a ProSport for your oldest :thumbsup: I like the GN a lot but with the ProSport you *shouldn't* get any head slump.

I REALLY like the look of the ProSport. Without playing with them, and only seeing pics, this is one of my favorites so far. It looks like she could fit it comfortably.

Presuming DS1 and DD2 get and use the Radian's until they are old enough for boosters ... there really is no reason for OP's DD1 to get a Maestro. I have Maestro and really like it, but that's because with the seats I have or had at the time I purchased it for DD1, I was sure it would be passed down to DD2 for harnesses and regardless of seat choice, I would have to buy boosters for DD1. So there was no reason for me to consider a more costly seat w/ better booster. If I were OP -- I would get a seat that
I though could be the last seat for DD1
- a harness that goes a good booster ...or a booster only if I thought that she was mature enough. Unless cost were a factor and the cost of a Maesto and future booster was cheaper, or the cost was about the same in the end and reduced my initial outlay of $.

ETA: sorry, jus saw DD1's stats -- I would not get her a booster only.

This is exactly what I'm hoping to do! :thumbsup:

But, on the other hand, pj2rc, given her children's size, the Maestro plus booster route might be better. I can't speak for the Frontier, but the Nautilus, for example, tends not to fit kids well until they've outgrown it in harnessed mode. I can vouch for this with my 5.5yo charge; six months ago the Nautilus booster fit was unacceptable (he was at second slots from the top,) now having grown a bit he's at the top slots and it's borderline, but acceptable. I expect in another six months he'll fit it well.

OTOH, when you have children as slight as the OP's, a Nautilus will likely not be the last seat they'll need, because they won't outsize the Nauti until they're like ten. But the Maestro itself fits smaller booster riders well (I believe,) and when DD1 moves to a Turbo at, say, seven, it will be the cost of the Maestro + Turbo instead of the Nautilus + Turbo, know what I mean?

I want to say the same fit is characteristic of the Frontier, although not to the same extreme (and furthermore I think the F85 is overkill for such a petite child.) The ProSport, if it's like the Young Sport, may tend to fit smaller booster riders well, and that may ultimately be the best marriage of current fit plus long-term usage.

Lastly, Maestro + Turbo is the least expensive option what's listed in this thread, aside from maybe an on-sale Nautilus.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was hoping someone would just lay it all out for me and give me a different perspective to help me make a good choice. We do have petite kids. DH's whole side of the family is petite, so I'm pretty sure they're not getting any bigger. So knowing the seats that tend to fit smaller-framed kids better would be really helpful to me.

Oh, this is great! Thank you so much, ladies!

Mommy2Marcus

I have the Nautilus Elite & have really liked it alot. It fits my son really well & he is pretty petite. He is about to turn 4, weighs about 32-34lbs, is 40 inches tall & has about a 14.5 inch torso last measurment. I have never checked the booster fit on him as there has no been a need to. He is just a hair or so above the 2nd slots, so he is on the 3rd slots. I expect him to last at least another 2 years in the harness. I also like that it installs really easily in every car I have put it in.

I also have seen the Meastro. I have not gotten to play with it very much, but I liked what I seen. It looks to be a very nice seat. I would like to get a chance to play with it soon. I am thinking of replacing the EFTA in DH's car with this as I like the lower profile of it.

So, I would look into the Nautilus or Meastro if I was buying a new seat right now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC