Newborn not fitting WWYD?

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
My best friend had her baby Wednesday. She's 6lb. 11oz. 20inches. She's such a tiny little thing! I saw baby yesterday in her SS1. Mom is totally up on Best Practice (has a MR for the almost 2yo who is still RF & a Nauti for the 4yo). This baby is so small she's at least 2 inches below the bottom slots. The only suggestions I could come-up with was the cloth in the crotch as well as the receiveing blankets on either side to help with slumping but she'll still be way below the bottom slots.

Is there anything she can do besides buy a new seat (not possible financially)? I said to just try to not go anywhere but that is not possible. She has to go twice a day for billi checks right now and school starts tomorrow so she has to go drop-off/pick-up her oldest.

Anything I'm forgetting? Thanks in advance!!

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

I would make sure that the harness is properly tightened on her & the chest clip is where it is supposed to be. I would then put a washcloth at the crotch strap & rolled towels around her.

Also, does the 2 year old have another seat that he can fit into for a couple of weeks? If so then she could put the NB in the My Ride & put the 2 year old in his back up seat. I have heard of several people saying that the My Ride fits tiny little ones well b/c of the infant padding.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Any chance the 2yo could fit in the SS1 for a few weeks (I know, it's a longshot) so baby can use the MyRide?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's one short torso! I wonder if you put something in the crotch area if it'll push baby back to where he needs to be and it'll help w/ how far the slots above the shoulders. Ilana barely fit, but did fit at 6.5#. She was right even w/ the bottom slots.

autumnlily

We had an SS1 and basic Snugride for when my twins were born. There wasn't a thing we could to get them to fit. My girls were 6.11 & 5.15 with 5-5.5" torsos. I agree, if 2 yo can be in another seat... move baby to MyRide for a few weeks.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
How about a Scenera? It's fairly inexpensive ($50ish) and might work as a spare seat for either child.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If there's any way you or friends can get $70 or so together, or borrow one from a trusted friend, the Designer 22 (sold at KMart, etc.) fits tiny tinies REALLY well. In fact, I think the shell might be the same on the Starter, and that's often at Big Lots for $45 or so.

jjordan

Wait, you are a tech, and you don't have a random extra seat sitting around?

I haven't been here long, but I get the idea you have more "random extra seats sitting around" than your average tech. :whistle:

(That said, I actually DO have a few extras sitting around at the moment myself...)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I haven't been here long, but I get the idea you have more "random extra seats sitting around" than your average tech. :whistle:

(That said, I actually DO have a few extras sitting around at the moment myself...)

Hey, hey, HEY! Just because I have bought a seat every other week for six weeks now, um, HEY!

Not my fault. So not. Blame the people in my siggy.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
LOL, I do have extra seats. My extras at the moment are an Avenue, or I could switch it out and let her borrow my EFTA if that would be better. I'll call her tomorrow and we'll see what we can do.

And as for the MR suggestions, that's a gREAT idea! Her 2yo actually just moved from the SS1 about a month ago so the baby could have it. He does still fit (he's tiny).

I'll suggest she try the MR with the noob. If that won't work, does the Avenue fit tiny ones well? If not, I can loan my EFTA and make my 3yo sit in the Avenue, she has plenty of room in there.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No, the Avenue does not work for little littles. It would work for the 2yo, though, if the SS doesn't. (Of Avenue, EFTA, SS1, and MR, the MR is most likely to fit the tiny baby.)

swtgi1982

my 7lb 5oz DS did not fit in a snug ride at all either. He had like and inch above his shoulders but in the scenera he was halfway between bottom two slots.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Darn! I just lent my Scenera out and I think they are wanting to buy it off me so I doubt I can get it back (it's being replaced with the Avenue).

We'll try the MR in the morning.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I could switch one of mine to the Avenue and let her use my Titan. That thing has some Crazy low bottom slots. We'll play today and see what works best.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I could switch one of mine to the Avenue and let her use my Titan. That thing has some Crazy low bottom slots. We'll play today and see what works best.

:)

We have Titans as coalition seats, and we've put some really little babes in them. I imagine that the retail version, with infant insert, would be even better.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I have my infant inserts. Yes, I think that will be the way to go. I need to hurry and wash the cover, it smells funny and I wouldn't want her tiny noob in that thing lol. Not horrible, just like a baby's bum has been sitting in it lol.

Yes, I think the Titan is going to be best for now. Thanks all! I knew you'd have some great suggestions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC