Which kid in the front seat?

APmama2MAK

My friend has a 2003 focus, is working on getting a new car and she has 4 kids. 8 and 9 yr old in backless boosters, 3.5 yr old rfing in a radian and newborn in a ss1. I told her the whole "oldest harnessed" but she doesnt want to turn the 3.5 yr old ffing and would rather the 9 yr old, in a booster, in the front seat.

It CANNOT be pushed back very far because of 2 rfing seats and neither one fits behind the drivers seat unless her torso is smushed against the steering wheel. This includes the radian at the most upright angle we can get (which IS very upright but her dh and her need the seat moved back pretty far. Back of seat still upright though)

I told her I wouldnt drive them all unless it was an emergency and to find a car fast, she is looking but is picky. As of now if we go anywhere I drive at least one of the kids with me so no one has to be in front.

ADS

Maedze

Wasn't this exact question postulated here a few weeks ago?

The 9 year old should go in the front. Also, she needs to be careful about having the 8 year old in a backless. If the 8 year old doesn't have head support to the tops of his ears (no head rests in the Focus), he needs a high back.

APmama2MAK

Wasn't this exact question postulated here a few weeks ago?

The 9 year old should go in the front. Also, she needs to be careful about having the 8 year old in a backless. If the 8 year old doesn't have head support to the tops of his ears (no head rests in the Focus), he needs a high back.

by me? I sure hope not because I dont remember it at all haha, I have thought about posting it here for a while but thought she would have a car by now. The 8 yr old does have head support, its one of the first things I mentioned about having them in NBBs but I figured the oldest harnessed would come first. Good to know.

Maedze

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=137123

Yup, it got a mention up here, but it was discussed at length in the Technician forum, which you wouldn't have access to.

In any case, it sounds like she's all ready gotten the information she needs. I would not put the three year old in front, but I might seriously consider turning the three year old forward facing and top tethering her, so that the 9 year old's seat could be all the way back.

APmama2MAK

oh I just asked my friend she said she posted on DS and that user asked to be able to post here.
She bought the radian just so she could rf til at least 4 and that is why she doesnt want her ffing, right now shes just not driving unless its absolutely necessary but putting the 9 yr old in front when she does.

Maedze

Rear facing until four is important, but the difference between 3 1/2 and four when the top tether is used is pretty negligible. Meanwhile, the difference between being close to the airbag and far away from the airbag is NOT so negligible.

In other words, the 9 year old is far more likely to be injured by being too close the airbag than the 3 1/2 year old is by being forward facing and top tethered.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I understand that she wants to RF until 4. However, doing so seriously compromises the safety of either her or her oldest child. It is not "best practice" to sacrifice one family member's basic safety in order to provide the gold standard for another family member. A 3.5yo FFing and top tethered is very safe. She or her 9yo without adequate space between them and the airbag in the front seat is not at all safe.

Last edited:

babyherder

She could turn her 3 yr old ff just until she gets a new car. Then she can flip her back around again. She would still be making good use of the seat she bought for rf and would keep all her kids as safe as possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC