Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Backless booster for a 5 y/o? Would you consider this?

My Liddie turned 5 in February. She is slightly under the top harness slots of the GN and weighs 57 lbs. She rides in a booster extremely well and I would have no qualms about moving her to a hbb full time but she rides harnessed right now.
    Tonight at walmart, she spotted the hot pink heart harmony literider and fell in love. Riding in one on long trips would not be an option as she falls asleep occasionally and I would like the head support but I considered buying the nbb for short trips. Is she too young for this to be a safe option? Would you consider this given her age/size?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member sirrahn's Avatar

Re: Backless booster for a 5 y/o? Would you consider this?

Personally, I would consider it. My older kids have all used backless boosters occasionally from about age 5 or 6 and 40+lbs.

IME the Literider positions the belt extremely well. Your DD is heavier than my 7 yr old, and she uses one in DH's car and when going with others.
    Mom to DS-22 driving a 2011 Honda CR-Z, DS-19 driving a 2010 Toyota Prius, DD-16 driving a 2017 Toyota Yaris iA, and DD-14 riding in a 2018 Mazda CX-9 & 2018 Mazda CX-3

Senior Community Member BABYGIRLLYNDSEY's Avatar

Good luck with this. My DD turned 5 in July and I havn't been able to let her ride in a HB booster yet. She is 44 inches and 39 lbs now. If I were you I might pick up the backless booster but would probably keep her in the HB booster as long as possible.
    Mom to four ages 25, 23, 18 & 11. Busia to my new grandson.

No I would not consider it for a 5yr old. A highback is 70% safer. My 7yr old loves the harmony also. I told her when she outgrew her hb it's a possibility. I'd have your dd pick any cover on a hb you decide on.
    April Senior checker / Special needs trained
    DD1 10.5yrs Harmony cruz
    DD2 6.5yrs PKWY SG
    DD3 5yrs FF GN

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

I'm sorry, but no, I wouldn't consider it. Perhaps my reason is because I have never met a five-year-old for whom a nbb would be appropriate. Sorry.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

CPS Advocate

No. Outside of perhaps emergencies or maybe vacation, a backless booster is not the best choice for a 5 year old, for a number of reasons.

CPS Fanatic

No. I believe there is research that shows a hbb is safer for the 4 to 8 age range. Also, it just seems logical to me that some side impact protection and better shoulder belt placement would be safer. So those two things combined I don't do low back boosters for kids under 8.

I feel like it would be appropriate to pick one up to keep around for urgent use situations, but would I plan on using it on any sort of regular basis -- no. Not at five.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheQueenMother View Post
    I considered buying the nbb for short trips.
    Does she ever ride with other people/other vehicles - for carpooling or other situations? If so, I might consider this, but likely not if she has another seat that would work.

And honestly, I would not consider using a less-than-best-practice seat for my kid just because the kid liked it.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

11. Thank You from:

CPS Technician

No, I couldn't do it for normal, everyday trips. AJ has ridden in a nbb once and it was us trying to get 3 across in DH's truck b/c we needed to use it b/c of the snow. Otherwise he's still harnessed but we're going to try the booster again soon, a PWSG.
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

Senior Community Member

Nope, not me either. A is turning 9 next month and is very tall. She now only fits the Monterey and it's on the last notch. In my MIL's car, which she rides in at least once a week, the hbb stopped fitting in the car itself at the height she needed. So she has HAD to move to a backless, which has given me the willies. I hate it, especially in my MIL's car. At her age and size I can't justify buying anymore hbb's, so we had to play musical seats. She's now in a harmony in our Jeep, which has side impact air bags. I still don't feel great about it, but it's our only option. We moved the Moneterey to dh's s-10 pick up because I felt like it had the least protection all around, and she's in a harmony in MIL's car.

I boo on these kiddos growing up and out of their seats, darn it.