Backless booster for a 5 y/o? Would you consider this?

TheQueenMother

My Liddie turned 5 in February. She is slightly under the top harness slots of the GN and weighs 57 lbs. She rides in a booster extremely well and I would have no qualms about moving her to a hbb full time but she rides harnessed right now.
Tonight at walmart, she spotted the hot pink heart harmony literider and fell in love. Riding in one on long trips would not be an option as she falls asleep occasionally and I would like the head support but I considered buying the nbb for short trips. Is she too young for this to be a safe option? Would you consider this given her age/size?

ADS

sirrahn

Personally, I would consider it. My older kids have all used backless boosters occasionally from about age 5 or 6 and 40+lbs.

IME the Literider positions the belt extremely well. Your DD is heavier than my 7 yr old, and she uses one in DH's car and when going with others.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Good luck with this. My DD turned 5 in July and I havn't been able to let her ride in a HB booster yet. :rolleyes: She is 44 inches and 39 lbs now. If I were you I might pick up the backless booster but would probably keep her in the HB booster as long as possible.

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
No I would not consider it for a 5yr old. A highback is 70% safer. My 7yr old loves the harmony also. I told her when she outgrew her hb it's a possibility. I'd have your dd pick any cover on a hb you decide on. :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm sorry, but no, I wouldn't consider it. Perhaps my reason is because I have never met a five-year-old for whom a nbb would be appropriate. Sorry. :eek:

Maedze

No. Outside of perhaps emergencies or maybe vacation, a backless booster is not the best choice for a 5 year old, for a number of reasons.

babyherder

No. I believe there is research that shows a hbb is safer for the 4 to 8 age range. Also, it just seems logical to me that some side impact protection and better shoulder belt placement would be safer. So those two things combined I don't do low back boosters for kids under 8.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I feel like it would be appropriate to pick one up to keep around for urgent use situations, but would I plan on using it on any sort of regular basis -- no. Not at five.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I considered buying the nbb for short trips.

Does she ever ride with other people/other vehicles - for carpooling or other situations? If so, I might consider this, but likely not if she has another seat that would work.

And honestly, I would not consider using a less-than-best-practice seat for my kid just because the kid liked it. :eek: :twocents:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
No, I couldn't do it for normal, everyday trips. AJ has ridden in a nbb once and it was us trying to get 3 across in DH's truck b/c we needed to use it b/c of the snow. Otherwise he's still harnessed but we're going to try the booster again soon, a PWSG.

menfusse

Nope, not me either. A is turning 9 next month and is very tall. She now only fits the Monterey and it's on the last notch. In my MIL's car, which she rides in at least once a week, the hbb stopped fitting in the car itself at the height she needed. So she has HAD to move to a backless, which has given me the willies. I hate it, especially in my MIL's car. At her age and size I can't justify buying anymore hbb's, so we had to play musical seats. She's now in a harmony in our Jeep, which has side impact air bags. I still don't feel great about it, but it's our only option. We moved the Moneterey to dh's s-10 pick up because I felt like it had the least protection all around, and she's in a harmony in MIL's car.

I boo on these kiddos growing up and out of their seats, darn it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC