Seated Shoulder Height

Jillybeans5

What is the highest seated shoulder height you've had for a child using a harnessed or booster seat? I was looking on the Britax site at the Frontier85 and wondered if any child will actually sit in the seat until they are that big. I know some kids are heavy, but the height is what I'm wondering about.

I just measured my 6 yr old and his torso height is between 16 and 16.5 inches. Then out of curiosity after reading the max torso height for the Frontier85 in booster mode is 24.5 in. I measured my torso height, it was only 23in. and I'm 5'8.5".

So I was just wondering if any kids actually reach that 24.5 in torso height and if not what is the highest torso height you have seen in a child?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Keep in mind, though, that some kids will need that if the backseat doesn't have support. So you need the headrest of the booster since the car doesn't have one. My 12 year old nephew is apparently nearly 6' tall. If he was in the back of a Ford Focus, he'd need that booster (no headrest, WA law is 13 or above in the front).

Wendy

Emi

I have twin boys aged 8. one has a 20 inch torso 140cm tall and the other has a 19 inch torso @ 138cm tall.
I have just been scouring the web for higher backed high backed boosters as I just found out today that their Maxi cosi Rodi XP's are on the max height at 20 inches - but don't know if its over kill at their age??? - I like SIP and head protection offered by this type of seat and think I would leave them in there till they finnish primary school @ 11 years if I could!! ( DD 23 months needs a new seat too!! EEEEK)

Emily n Co xx

Jillybeans5

Keep in mind, though, that some kids will need that if the backseat doesn't have support. So you need the headrest of the booster since the car doesn't have one. My 12 year old nephew is apparently nearly 6' tall. If he was in the back of a Ford Focus, he'd need that booster (no headrest, WA law is 13 or above in the front).

Wendy

I hadn't really thought about that.

I think its great that they make it go that big, I just wondered if any kids actually get that big still in one.

Pixels

I hadn't really thought about that.

I think its great that they make it go that big, I just wondered if any kids actually get that big still in one.

Let's see if I can remember everything accurately . . .
We have a member here whose daughter is 7 years old, has outgrown all other high back boosters, rides in a vehicle without head support, and is in an 8 or 80 state. Even though she is tall enough and big enough to pass the five-step test to properly fit the seatbelt, state law requires a booster (she does still have a child's soft skeleton, so the booster is still of benefit) and she needs the head support. Luckily, the child's mother was able to get her daughter in a Frontier in booster mode. If the Frontier didn't exist, the mother would have to choose between putting her daughter in a backless booster, which means increased risk for whiplash injury, or breaking the law and using no booster.

Wiggles

I'm seriously debating buying myself a Frontier because I feel that it would offer me better support sitting in a car (I'm low tone) and seatbelts never fit me correctly. Only things stopping me are a) how rarely I actually get in a car these days, b) the price and c) I haven't been able to get my hands on one in booster mode to try sitting in to make sure everything would fit me correctly. I'm 23 and I want one.

Wiggles

Oh trust me, if I ever do, I will. There are a few third-row seats that the seatbelt geometry works on me, but I end up slumping so badly after a half hour in the car that the seatbelt's always across my throat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC