Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Help select 4 seats Pontiac Montana 2003

After getting the runaround, the lat I have heard from STATE farm was that I just needed to buy "comparable seats" and bring the receipts to my agent for reimbursement.

So I have now remeasured the kids, since weights were....off in my earlier estimates.

Kyra is 45lbd and 42 inches(5 yeasr)
    zoe is 40 lbs and 40 inches(3 years)
    callie is 38 lbs and 37 inches(2 years)
    xavier is 23 lbs and 30 inches(one year)

I have been offered a loan with confirmation insurance will reimburse to get the kids into non crashed seats. What would be recommendation for all of them? Ideally I would like them all harnessed, due to a lot of driving and oldest so not being ready for belt positioning booster yet, and if possible convertible rearfacing for the youngest 2.

The "new" vehicle is a 2003 Pontiac Montana extended.
    Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Help select 4 seats Pontiac Montana 2003

Seven passenger or eight?
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

Seven passenger(wish I could find eight), two captains chairs in the second row.

I only have experience with an 8, but it's a pretty good vehicle for installing seats, in my experience. I would look at Graco Nautiluses for the older 2, a Radian Premier or XT (for the 45lb RFing weight) for Callie and for the baby, my suggestions to look at would be the First Years True Fit, Graco My Ride, Radian (any model would be fine), or the Safety First Complete Air. I don't think you'll get a Radian RFing the the third row (at least I wasn't able to, but didn't have a ton of time to fiddle...it was a friend's vehicle), so I'd probably put the forward facers back there and the rear facers in the captains chairs. Are you able to put one captains chair in the middle of that van? If not, you'll have the forward facers crawling under/around rear facing seats to get in the third row. Or you could do one forward facer & one rear facer in each row. Your 2 year old could probably climb into her seat herself or I find it quite easy to load rear facing kiddos through the hatch in that van. The True Fit goes in the third row nicely.

Hope that gives you a place to start.
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

CPS Technician

How many TA's are in the back row? I know when we looked at buying an 07 model the only TA was in the middle of the back bench, which made it virtually impossible to get anyone else in the back row unless it was a RF'ing seat with a booster or one in a seatbelt already.
    Cara- CRST- Mom to:
    Finn- Jan 2007- 47lbs- FF Radian XT- Ventura ||Ciaran- Nov 2004- 48 lbs- SK Monterey ||Liam- Nov 2002- 59lbs- SK Monterey- Black ||Mackenzie- Sept 1996- 110lbs and 5'9" safely using seatbelt since 11 years.

The 07 is a different generation than the 01-05s. The 04 I have experience with had TA in all 6 rear seating positions. A seven passenger with captains chairs will have 2 full sets of LATCH/UAS in the captains chairs. What's in the third row depends on whether it's a bench (no lower anchors but 3 TAs) or the stowable seats (1 TA only).

Radians and Nautiluses were just out of the budget at the moment, Although if we have another little one I think we will need a radian to make 5 fit in the back. There are tethers 3 in the back and two in each of the captains in the middle. Anybody have experience will say what 4 true fits will fit in a 7 seater 2003 montana?

Yes, 4 True Fits will fit. You'll only be able to RF the youngest, though, since they have a 35lb RFing limit. You may need to put the RFing seat in one of the captains chairs, depending on the angle you need. They are pretty upright in the third row.

Thanks AmyD! Stil going to watch for a sale on Radians, so I can RF a little longer on my chunks, but best I could do for now.