Product opinion/advice: carpet cleaner

TheRealMacGyver

I have been looking for a used Thermax carpet cleaner/vacuum. I've used my sisters and like the results. Do any of you have experience with Thermax and/or other models? I am only looking for something to steam/shampoo carpets, as I am happy with my current vacuum. The Thermax is quite pricy, but if it works, it's worth it. Looking for alternative options to the Thermax, thanks.

ADS

Loves2sing

I don't know what they have in Florida, but our local Safeway rents out carpet cleaners for pretty cheap. You may want to check with them, if you have a Safeway there.

TheRealMacGyver

Thanks Amanda, I have a local rental too, but I'm looking to own one. I have a lot of messes around here and the little spot cleaner I have takes forever.

Stresch

We don't own one, but we (often)borrow one from friends, and I like it. Not sure about the model. I will say that I will only use the unscented soap. We got the fragranced one last time because it was cheaper. It was horrible.

Morganthe

I like my Little Green Machine & its buddy the "Big Green machine" for major stuff. They work great together.
The Little Green is in constant use due to a previous owner's pet having accidents or something & my elderly pup picking up on the odors. Add a potty training 3 1/2 dd + new kitty who doesn't like her new litter box 'clay' = the Little Green has earned its purchase price completely back in the last 5 months. :D

I had my carpet in a room shampooed by a Kirby vaccum salesman the other day. I'm going to have to redo the room. The perfume stinks and it's brought out bad odors in the carpet that dh keeps febreezing until I get to it. Only steam cleaners for me from now on. No shampooers again for me :(

TheRealMacGyver

Yes, shampoo is bad on carpet, and fragrance is just a no no (use candles instead). In the Thermax, I have used just hot water or hot water with a scoop of Oxyclean, both work as good, if not better, than shampoos. I just really like the Thermax, but was wondering if anyone has a comparible alternative.

By the way, I also have the little green machine and it does work good for small spot cleaning. How is the big one to clean up afterwards?

TXDani

Senior Community Member
We have a carpet cleaner that we got a couple years ago thinking it would be great since we have kids. But we never use it. We loan it out to friends more then we use it.:confused: I don't know maybe a different household would use it more but to me it just doesn't do as well as the professionals so I just have them come out every couple months.

remken

I had my carpet in a room shampooed by a Kirby vaccum salesman the other day. I'm going to have to redo the room. The perfume stinks and it's brought out bad odors in the carpet that dh keeps febreezing until I get to it. Only steam cleaners for me from now on. No shampooers again for me :([/QUOTE]

I made the mistake of letting a kirby guy come in here and shampoo a room also as a favor for a room mate. The other day also. That thing did a lousey job for how much they want to charge.

TheRealMacGyver

I made the mistake of letting a kirby guy come in here and shampoo a room also as a favor for a room mate. The other day also. That thing did a lousey job for how much they want to charge.

Looks like those Kirby salesmen are out pounding the pavement pretty good! (see Morganthe's post above):D I bought a Kirby when I was about 17 yo, was impressed and thought the payments didn't sound too bad. I just didn't know any better. Good vacuum though. By the way, your lucky they actually cleaned the carpet, they mostly try to show you the vacuum and then give you the line that it needs several good vacuumings before you shampoo it. "but if you buy it, I'll leave this one right here for you to start cleaning":D

Really, I think I am sold on the Thermax, just have to find the right price. Ebay has gotten so corrupt with people jacking prices up-it's not what it used to be.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Looks like those Kirby salesmen are out pounding the pavement pretty good! (see Morganthe's post above):D I bought a Kirby when I was about 17 yo, was impressed and thought the payments didn't sound too bad. I just didn't know any better. Good vacuum though. By the way, your lucky they actually cleaned the carpet, they mostly try to show you the vacuum and then give you the line that it needs several good vacuumings before you shampoo it. "but if you buy it, I'll leave this one right here for you to start cleaning":D

Really, I think I am sold on the Thermax, just have to find the right price. Ebay has gotten so corrupt with people jacking prices up-it's not what it used to be.

Hahaha, for me it was filter queen when I was 16 yo.

No advice on cleaners.. been wanting one for our household too, so just jumping on board your thread. ;)

Morganthe

Yes, shampoo is bad on carpet, and fragrance is just a no no (use candles instead).

By the way, I also have the little green machine and it does work good for small spot cleaning. How is the big one to clean up afterwards?

I don't put out candles anymore except in my shielded fireplace. I"m too concerned about fire hazards. :( I got a really neat Candleabra from Target in Dec. It actually warmed up the entire living room!

Apparently, Kirby is having some sort of nationwide 'competition' by its salesmen to either win a car or $25,000. So that's why they're popping up out of the wood works. I was informed over the phone that someone was coming to 'clean my carpets in 2 rooms & only needed an evaluation filled out'. RIGHT! I got lied to, because I asked specifically if there was a demo or sales pitch + if they were steam cleaning the carpet. The response was "No, just keep an open mind while you watch the guy work. Oh, it's steam cleaning."

The demo guy was very polite. I just couldn't believe all the parts & gadgets! Like I have time for fiddly bits :rolleyes: The scheduled hour cleaning & demo session turned into almost 3 hours! It was a very good vaccum, but I did not appreciate someone grinding baking soda into my carpet without asking! Oh, and then the 'boss' appears with the sales pitch. A HUGE page of options for deposits & payments.
I just kept saying "NO, thank you. I just cancelled a trip because of lack of funds & my dd hasn't even MET anyone except her paternal Grandmother on my dh's side. I"m not getting into debt for a vaccuum cleaner!" The guy gave up (I thought) but returned with an offer.

$1200 with $45 monthly payments and the dang thing would be mine :rolleyes: Nope. And I"m glad I stayed firm, something else has come up much more expensive, vital, and difficult to budget, so at least I don't have that financial mistake on my back. :)

But the poor demo guy worked for a long time to clean my carpets. DH had enough yesterday and begged me to fix his room. He has to use it for sleeping since he's working midshift this coming week.

Big Green Saved the day again. It smells so much better in here now. No perfumes, just fresh clean air. I use the Pet formula that scotch guards as it is applied.

McGyver, I"m not sure what you mean by 'clean up afterwards', but basically I wheel it out the front door, detach the top half, & dh empties it out in front of the house. The filter is small and rinses clean. It detaches easily and I store it in the garage. I've had it for about 6 years and used it 20 times? Paid for itself long ago vs the hassle of rentals.

I have a single story, so I don't have stairs to navigate. The worst thing about it is the NOISE. It's basically a huge shop vac (which it Can be used for) and it's loud sharp & deafening noise. DH takes DD into another room and plays with her while I work.

But it IS an excellent cleaner. After I did DH"s man cave, I cleaned the carpet which had been under our dining table for the first 2 1/2 years of dd's budding childhood. It was pretty sad stained condition, but it now looks like new. All purdy :D

Oh & Kirby called me back yesterday for my 'scheduled appt." for that day. Huh? They made a mistake on the schedule or something, but I told the caller about my stinky carpet. She couldn't get off the phone fast enough after that :rolleyes:

This lengthy post is to warn others that Kirby is on the sales warpath! Don't believe them when they call and say it's going to be a 'short' demo & they're steam cleaning carpets. It's a good vac, but don't let them overcharge you on the price. I probably could have talked them down to $1000, but I wasn't interested in a counter offer.
Oh, and the scare tactics used... :eek: There were a few mixed into the sales pitch AND the wheeling dealing moment. The most pathetic: I wasn't keeping my child 'safe' by purchasing the cleanest vac on the market. :rolleyes: I"ve never heard such fear pressure used on a sales before. :(

I told the guy that I completely believed that if we isolate our children from ALL the stuff that live in this world, then we do their immune system a disservice by not giving it a chance to kick into gear :p I live in an older cluttered house in dusty Texas with 2 dogs and a cat. Pollen & dust is everywhere. A vaccum is not going to SAVE her :D

TheRealMacGyver

Morganthe, that explains the Kirby posts! They do make a good vacuum, but for cleaning carpet I don't think they are that great. I'll look into the big green machine. Yesterday I put some hot water in my pump bug sprayer (It's only had water in it) and sprayed spots, then sucked it up with my wet/dry shop vacuum. It worked quite well. As for the noise you mentioned, I don't think you can have a powerful machine without the noise, unless you go to a central vacuum unit, but then I don't believe those are wet vacuum. Thanks for the info.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC