True fit questions.....

emandbri

What are the rules for when you put on the top? What are the rules for how long you use the inserts?

My friend has one for her 4 month old and with the inserts she only
has about an inch and a half above her head.
I don't know how much
she weighs.

Thanks!

ADS

msg221

The inserts should only be used once the baby is at or above the first position.

The headrest needs to be put on when the baby is over 22 pounds or the baby's head is within 1 inch of the top of the seat (there is a red line on there) or if the seat is being used in the forward facing position.

This is from the manual for the TFP, pp. 54 & 55. Not sure if you were referring to the original TF or TFP but I did check both manuals and the requirements are the same.

http://www.learningcurve.com/product/detail/Y11129?locale=en_US

geekKT

I have a TFP (and am in Canada, so it's possible my rules are different) but I was under the impression the insert could be used as long as you want up to 22lbs, and rearfacing. It has multiple height slots, it wouldn't make much sense for it to have to come out after just the first slot. I don't have it handy but I believe all mine says, right on the insert, is to take it out at 10 kilograms which would be 22lbs.

FWIW though, we took ours out now as it was making it harder to get the crotch buckled. We could probably continue to use it another month or two but it's easier this way.

The headrest goes on based on when they reach a red line, are over 22lbs, or are forward facing.

ETA: I just read that online manual, here's the wording: The height insert is only needed until the child's shoulder height is at or above position 1. I take that to mean that you NEED it until they reach position 1 without it, which makes sense to get the straps at or below the baby's shoulders, but not that it can only be used until they reach position 1. I used it at position 2 as DS was still under the weight limit listed on it and still fit using it by height. Maybe a tech can clarify?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mae

ericarizo

The infant insert is not to be used with infants weighing over 22lbs or in the FF position. It must be used until they are over the 1st slot though.

essnce629

When I called The Learning Curve and asked them myself, I was told I could use the infant insert at ANY weight rear-facing, but that it couldn't be used forward-facing. I was also told that it could be used when using any of the rear-facing slots (there's 3 of them) which makes sense since there are 3 harness slot positions in the actual infant insert. If you could only use it with the first harness slot position, then there should only be one set of harness slot holes on the insert itself.

DS2 almost 15 months, 22lbs, and is on the 2nd slots rear-facing and is still using the infant insert since he is really thin and just fits better with it in. My TFP manual doesn't say anything about the infant insert having a weight limit or a harness height limit. It ONLY says to NOT use forward-facing and that it MUST be used till baby is even with the lowest harness slots. I will continue to follow the advice of my manual, which goes with what Learning Curve said as well.

Here's the thread I posted on the same topic:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=119648

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC