Question center latch of 08 ford fusion / 2003 ford exepdition radian xtsl

U

Unregistered

Does ford allow center install of a radian xtsl with latch in a 08 Ford Fusion and 03 Ford Exepdition (second row).

Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ford generally does, but Sunshine Kids does not unless it's 11". Generally Fords are in the 15-18" range.

Wendy

jess71903

Ambassador
The Expedition has 3 separate sets of LATCH anchors in the center row, so you can use center LATCH there, but not in the Fusion.

KatieGrace

The Expedition has 3 separate sets of LATCH anchors in the center row, so you can use center LATCH there, but not in the Fusion.

I have a 2006 Ford Fusion...Would I not be allowed to use Latch with the Radian XTSL?? Are there any other seats I wouldn't be able to use Latch with since I have a Fusion?? I've never heard of this and I'm looking to get a new seat and one of the things that was drawing me to this seat was the high RFing limit and the fact that I could use Latch for so long!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Not in the center of the Fusion. The Radian doesn't allow borrowing at a non standard spacing. It has to be a dedicated center LATCH.

http://thecarseatlady.blogspot.com/2010/06/center-latch-not-always-oxymoron-2010.html That will let you know what seats allow center LATCH at 18" spacing, which is what you have.

You can use the SuperLATCH only in a dedicated LATCH position. If you move it outboard you can continue to use LATCH for the duration of the seat. Just not in the middle.

Wendy

KatieGrace

Not in the center of the Fusion. The Radian doesn't allow borrowing at a non standard spacing. It has to be a dedicated center LATCH.

http://thecarseatlady.blogspot.com/2010/06/center-latch-not-always-oxymoron-2010.html That will let you know what seats allow center LATCH at 18" spacing, which is what you have.

You can use the SuperLATCH only in a dedicated LATCH position. If you move it outboard you can continue to use LATCH for the duration of the seat. Just not in the middle.

Wendy
Thank you!! This is very good to know!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Graco is ok with it if the car is ok with it. Your car is ok with it if the carseat is ok with it. Generally, in that case, I use the seatbelt. There isn't a yes or a no anywhere in there.

Wendy

KatieGrace

Graco is ok with it if the car is ok with it. Your car is ok with it if the carseat is ok with it. Generally, in that case, I use the seatbelt. There isn't a yes or a no anywhere in there.

Wendy

Thanks, Wendy! Ok, sorry for the million questions, but I have one more.:eek: So, from what I'm understanding, since I have a 2006 Ford Fusion, and Britax allows latch spacing to be 11-20 in, and the Fusion is 18, it would allow me to "borrow" the latches from the outboard locations to install a Britax seat in the middle using latch only? I just want to make sure I"m understanding it correctly since I'm debating between a Radian and a Britax Marathon 70.:thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

How does the Diono (new version of Sunshine Kids) compare for the Ford Fusion 2010? Are the spects the same with respect to placing the seat in the middle position?

Thanks,
Sarah

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Sunshine Kids actually changed its stance on borrowing outboard lower LATCH anchors since this thread began last year and before changing its company name to Diono. Sunshine Kids began allowing borrowing to do a center LATCH installation in vehicles whose manufacturers also allow it as of early this year (2011) with borrowed lower anchors spaced between 11 and 20 inches apart according to the 2011 edition of the LATCH manual. 2006-2011 Ford Fusions have innermost outboard lower LATCH anchors spaced 18 inches apart and thus it would be allowable to install a Radian with LATCH in the center in a 2010 Fusion provided that you're not doubling up/sharing a borrowed lower anchor with a carseat installed on either side.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC