My BV70 overview, review and comparison

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzUNOoHzbK4"]YouTube- Britax Boulevard 70 overview[/ame]

Britax Boulevard 70 Review: Based on LATCH installation in a ’07 Chrysler Pacifica. Children: James 4.4 years old 34lbs, 41” over all height and just under 15.75 torso height. Ben 1.8 years of age, 24lbs, 33” over all height and just under 12.75” torso height.

Likes: 40lb rear facing limit, new designed harness covers, the cover is SOOOO easy to remove; you don’t have to remove the harness or uninstall the seat to remove the cover, the EPP foam in the head wings and down the side of the seat, no switch latch connectors, two crotch buckle positions, SOOOO easy to install rear and forward facing. I think it was even easier than the old models. For rear facing I didn’t have to apply any pressure to tighten, simply rocking the seat side to side 4-5 times resulted in a rock solid install. Literally it took me less than 30 seconds to install rear facing. It took me a bit longer forward facing because I had to climb in the 3rd row to attach the tether. This seat has a MUCH nicer forward facing install than the previous model. It sits almost flush with the back of my captain’s chairs. The harness pull is very smooth and easy, no more ratcheting! Since the shell is shorter and the base has been redesigned there is more room between the back of the child restraint and the front seat (when rear facing), I can get almost 2” of clearance with the front seat all the way back and reclined 2 clicks.

Neutral: crotch buckle adjustment is easy but if you need to remove it to clean it could be a problem. In the Captain’s chair of my vehicle the seat installs quite upright while rear facing which is good for older kids but not so much for itty bitties. In my experience I have never had to use a rolled towel or pool noodles to get a 45 degree recline with the old models, but I can see this being needed with the new models. The no rethread harness adjustment, I didn’t mind the knobs and while this is easier (though again I need two hands) you have to make sure that it has locked into place.

Dislikes: Shorter overall shell than previous models, and this is a HUGE dislike almost enough to counter all likes. The recline handle, I feel like I’m going to break it every time I pull on it, and it is not that easy, it takes me two hands. The outer crotch buckle position is only allowed for forward facing.

Measurements:

Shell height: 24.5” without cover. 24” with cover
Full extended height with head rest: 29”
Seat depth: 11”
Shoulder width: 13.5”
Crotch buckle slot positions: #1 – 5” #2 – 7.25”
Crotch buckle slot length: 4” webbing, 5.5” through buckle
Seat width front: 10.5
Seat width back: 9”
Harness Height: These are all measured without the cover and are all approximations.
#1: 8.25-8.5
#2: 9”
#3: 10”
#4: 11”
#5: 12”
#6: 13”
#7: 14”
#8: 15.25”
#9: 16”
#10: 16.75

Britax Boulevard 65
I loved this seat when I bought in Feb of ’07. My son James rear faced until 3 years and 31lbs. It fit great in our ’00 Jeep Cherokee and then in our Chrysler Pacifica. I don’t like how the seat installs forward facing as it sits up very high and for the base to lay flat on the seat it would have to be very forward on the vehicle seat and the back of the child restraint would not be flush with the back of the car’s seat.

The original Britax Boulevard has a 33lb rear facing limit and 65lb forward facing limit

Shell height: 25.5”
Full height with head rest extended: 27”
Shoulder width: 13.5”
Crotch slot: 5.5”
Crotch buckle length: 3” to webbing 4.75” including buckle
Seat width front: 13”
Seat width back: 11”
Lowest harness height: 10.25”
Highest harness height: 16.75”

Last edited:
ADS

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I did want to clarify that the 4yr old James was slouching so you can add about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch of height to his pictures. He has muscle issues and we are working on it but he getting him to sit up straight is difficult.

autumnlily

Watch your Rep points blow through the roof! Those photo's, creating the video and documenting everything takes a lot of effort. YOU ROCK!

Thank you!

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
Any requests for pictures before I trash our crashed BV65???? I also have a RA50. Let me know and I can post on Mon/Tues. Anything I left out of the review that someone would like to know?

msg221

I know the BV70 is supposed to sit lower, but does it still sat rather high off the vehicle seat? How is it lifting your son in and out of it? That is what I didn't like about the BV65 model.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I know the BV70 is supposed to sit lower, but does it still sat rather high off the vehicle seat? How is it lifting your son in and out of it? That is what I didn't like about the BV65 model.

You know I didn't measure that part..... I'll try and get to it tomorrow, I remember thinking that it sat lower when it was forward facing, or maybe I just liked how it sat better hmmmm.... I've only used the 65 forward facing twice and not even for my kids but I know I hated it. I didn't have a problem rear facing but due to the cars we have. I want to say that it sits a bit lower but now I'm not sure. Right now it takes me a bit more time to get my son in but I think that is in part because we are re-adjusting to having headwings (for the last month he has been in the RA50 since the BV65 is not useable) and in part because its new.

Athena

Thanks for the great review!

I was wondering:
(1) Did you find the harness adjuster as easy to pull with the kids in the seat? I was having trouble with it when I tried my DD in it on the BRU test bench, but I think it was because I could not get a tight enough install on that seat (so I had to hold the seat down while pulling) and it was an awkward situation overall.
(2) Your 4 yo fits in it RF, right? I am so confused about the amount of RF growing room in this seat and trying my DD in it at BRU only made me more confused.

cookie123

I tried the BV 70 at BRU in my car today, and I liked it. No kid though. I did think it's still kinda high off the vehicle seat, but it definitely looks lower than the BV 65 when sitting on the shelf. I also noticed the width seems less and well, they're just a different shape.

I also tried the Triumph 65. The BV was way easier to install. I liked the knob rf, it worked well in my car. Still, the BV's harness adjuster was okay to access in my car. I think both are too high for me. I guess I'm spoiled by my Radian. I just hate that harness adjuster.

Maybe I need a new booster seat, since I can't decide on a convertible!:)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
[Dislikes: Shorter overall shell than previous models, and this is a HUGE dislike almost enough to counter all likes. The recline handle, I feel like I’m going to break it every time I pull on it, and it is not that easy, it takes me two hands. The outer crotch buckle position is only allowed for forward facing.

Thanks for the great review and video!

I have to play with the recline more. I thought it seemed awkward at first, but ultimately found it worked fine and seemed to hold well. A number of other seats over the years, including some iterations of previous Britax convertibles, have had what I thought were flimsier recline mechanisms that didn't seem to hold as well.

Thanks for mentioning the outer crotch slot I overlooked that!

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
Thanks for the great review!

I was wondering:
(1) Did you find the harness adjuster as easy to pull with the kids in the seat? I was having trouble with it when I tried my DD in it on the BRU test bench, but I think it was because I could not get a tight enough install on that seat (so I had to hold the seat down while pulling) and it was an awkward situation overall. I did find it more difficult in the car, but easier than the BV65 because it was a smoother pull. I think that the harness covers can get in the way because when you pull they pull into the back of the seat and once I noticed got stuck in the slot. Something I really don't like is that you can't use the velcro to keep the harness open, unless you loosen a TON. I loosen a little and the velcro sticks but the rest of the harness falls back into the seat. I had this issue with my BV65 also but not with my RA50.
(2) Your 4 yo fits in it RF, right? I am so confused about the amount of RF growing room in this seat and trying my DD in it at BRU only made me more confused.
My 4 year old has maybe 1/4 of an inch, maybe. Because of his slouching it looks like he has a bit more in the pictures. I know I have read on this site and on another car seat forum that typical torso growth is 1" per year. I think that my youngest will make it until 4 in the seat.

Athena

My 4 year old has maybe 1/4 of an inch, maybe. Because of his slouching it looks like he has a bit more in the pictures. I know I have read on this site and on another car seat forum that typical torso growth is 1" per year. I think that my youngest will make it until 4 in the seat.

I really wanted to get my 4yo in it when I had it on the test bench at BRU, but she refused.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC