About to Spend some $$$$

sholoulou

Ok, I am about to place a carseat order! I am thinking the Radian XTSL will be the best choice. Is there any other carseats I should consider before laying down the bucks?
My dd will be 4 yrs end of Dec...

Last edited:
ADS

Melanie

Well that depends...is your child rear facing? Are there other children to pass the seat to?

If no, I'd check out a Britax Frontier, Graco Nautilus or the new Recardo (prosport?)

If she's RF and you plan to keep her that way (and yay if you do) the Radian is good.

**I"m not a tech, just hung out around here enough to be dangerous :)**

sholoulou

I do not like the Graco ~ Sorry to all the fans.
She will be in the middle and my son is in a Monterey next to her.
She is my baby. I do not mind buying another seat for her later on =-)

sholoulou

Ok, so I may consider the Garco lol
Anyone know the width of the seats or where to find the width? It does need to be narrow so my son can buckle himself in when I pick him up from school. I want to keep her in the middle. Of course, I want a really good seat too!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The Nautilus is fairly wide, I want to say 20" off the top of my head. I LOVE the seat but its width is one of its major downfalls. However, it does (surprisingly) puzzle well with a Monterey, I often have them outboard and center in my Pilot.

How much does your DD weigh? I would only buy the Radian if she is going to use the seat to RF. (My dcb, who will be 4 in Feb :eek: is RF in his.)

sholoulou

Oh my poor old "mature" car LOL 97 Isuzu Trooper Middle seat has a lap belt only but it does have versa tethers for each seat position. I think I am going between the prosport or the radian. I sure wish we had a store here that carried a variety of carseats! It would make it so much easier if I could see the seat IRL.

sholoulou

She weighs 32-35 lbs. It has been awhile since her last dr visit so that is an estimate. Gosh, there are not that many seats to choose from!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You could also look at an Evenflo Maestro, which is narrower than a Nautilus, since she's a lightweight.

Wendy

Carrie_R

Two thumbs up for tether anchors in each position :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I second Wendy's recommendation of the Maestro... several people on here like it better than the Nautilus, and as an added bonus, it is not $$$$ :)

sholoulou

Carrie ~ Thank you to this wonderful site I found out I could get them retro fitted =-)

I am not liking the looks of the evenflo but... does it also have the steel rod reinforcements?

sholoulou

I am checking evenflo's website... it does not look like it has any EPS foam or steel rod inforcements :/ Since my car is "mature" and does not have any of the updated safety features of newer cars I perfer a seat with the EPS, etc

Any other suggestions?

Carrie_R

If you want the steel, then go for the Nautilus. If you can take your vehicle to a BRU, you can find out how well it puzzles with the Monterey. In my vehicle, a Monterey plus Nautilus takes up the same amount of space as Monterey plus Safe Voyage Booster (discontinued booster that is only 14" wide.) I've yet to figure that out, the wonders of puzzling for ya...

sholoulou

Ok.. so after much thought and switching from website to website I think I like the Radian, Prosport or Graco. Does anyone know which one had the best test results (if they are available) If not, can you point me in the direction to find them somewhere online? Or just tell me flatout which one you would buy LOL

Ohh I have read about the Graco head slump issue so that gives it 1 less point ;-)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC