Question Which new Britax convertible are you getting? Would you consider buying one for a two year old?

Athena

Subject says it all. I thought I saw a thread before on this topic, but my searching skills today are lacking. :eek:

Anyone buying one for their 2 yo or older?
I am concerned about how much height growth she'd have RF. Does anyone remember when their upper body growth slows way down? And it is a lot of money and probably not as fabulous as it should be. ;) However, I am so incredibly tempted by the additional room it could allow for our front seat.

Which version did you choose and why?
Given the cost, I was hoping for the marathon, but I have not seen one in person and I do like the idea of head wings, but I don't like the additional obstacle when loading her in the RF seat. Also, and I know this might seem silly, I think I like the marathon fabric options better, but that is hard to tell without seeing them in person. I can't wait until people start posting pics of their new seats. Will there be a thread on that? I find IRL photos more helpful. I have a pic of the blvd I saw at BRU if anyone wants to see it.

ADS

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I bought a BLVD 70 for my son who will be 2 in October. I am going to finish up my review hopefully tonight and post late this evening or sometime tomorrow. I need to get new measurements. I will say that my 4 year old son who has I *think* a close to 16" torso (pretty sure I measured incorrectly last time I did it so I do think he is a little under 16") has a tiny bit of room RFing. I bought it to replace our blvd that was in an accident. I have done lots of side by side pictures.

jeno

Senior Community Member
I bought a BLVD 70 for my son who will be 2 in October. I am going to finish up my review hopefully tonight and post late this evening or sometime tomorrow. I need to get new measurements. I will say that my 4 year old son who has I *think* a close to 16" torso (pretty sure I measured incorrectly last time I did it so I do think he is a little under 16") has a tiny bit of room RFing. I bought it to replace our blvd that was in an accident. I have done lots of side by side pictures.

I'm curious to see your review. Did you compare the BLVD70 to the MA70? I cannot even fathom how your 4yr old could still possibly fit with a 16" torso. My son's torso is 15.5" and def. did not fit RF. But maybe its all about head size?? LOL!

msg221

Subject says it all. I thought I saw a thread before on this topic, but my searching skills today are lacking. :eek:

Anyone buying one for their 2 yo or older?
I am concerned about how much height growth she'd have RF. Does anyone remember when their upper body growth slows way down? And it is a lot of money and probably not as fabulous as it should be. ;) However, I am so incredibly tempted by the additional room it could allow for our front seat.

Which version did you choose and why?
Given the cost, I was hoping for the marathon, but I have not seen one in person and I do like the idea of head wings, but I don't like the additional obstacle when loading her in the RF seat. Also, and I know this might seem silly, I think I like the marathon fabric options better, but that is hard to tell without seeing them in person. I can't wait until people start posting pics of their new seats. Will there be a thread on that? I find IRL photos more helpful. I have a pic of the blvd I saw at BRU if anyone wants to see it.

I am considering giving one of my TFP's to my friend, for her 2 year-old daughter. If I do that, I need to replace that seat (for when I have my godchildren & grandchildren) but I keep waffling back and forth between just getting another TFP or one of the Marathon's or Boulevard's since they seem to be on sale everywhere. And like you, I like the fabric options on the Marathon's more than the Boulevard's! I really like Allison, but then I think of when I have my two grandsons and having to have one of them riding around in a pink seat! I know it shouldn't matter, especially if it isn't on a regular basis, but I guess it's just me. Then again, I do have a "spare" seat that is gender neutral. I know it won't have as much room as the TFP, but it would be for my goddaughter and she is so darn tiny anyway (26.5 months old and still wears size 18 months) that it may not matter.

I know that these new seats are supposed to sit lower, but is it considerably lower than the previous BLVD models? Because the taller and heavier the kids got, the more I disliked that base on the BLVD! I really want to put one in my car next to my TFP so I can do a side by side comparison!

Athena

I can't wait to see the review and the pics!

I'm curious to see your review. Did you compare the BLVD70 to the MA70? I cannot even fathom how your 4yr old could still possibly fit with a 16" torso. My son's torso is 15.5" and def. did not fit RF. But maybe its all about head size?? LOL!

I'd love to see a blvd70 to ma70 comparison! I am also surprised a 4 yo that size could fit. I don't think my 4 yo fits in our old style ma, but maybe I should double check. That might help me to know when DD2 might outgrow her current ma by height, but the new 70 would be a little sooner, right?

Seriously, would head size make a big difference? Of course, my 2 yo also has a big head. :rolleyes:

but I keep waffling back and forth between just getting another TFP or one of the Marathon's or Boulevard's since they seem to be on sale everywhere.

There was a time I was really interested in the True Fits, but I could never find one to see IRL so I gave up on it. :( And I know the Britax convertible seats well because that is mostly what I've had so that adds to my comfort level with them and makes me more likely to buy them. Of course, I may not buy anything, but that's why I'm thinking about it, to decide if it's worth it for us. :)

I really want to put one in my car next to my TFP so I can do a side by side comparison!

Ooooh, that would be interesting to see! :)

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor

I just re-measured (when I measured a few months ago I just put the tape measure up to him) today I sat him against the wall and he was just under 15.75" he does have a fairly small head LOL! plus he has muscle issues so usually when he sits he slouches (something we are working on) so even though it looks like he fits, if he actually sat up the correct way he probably wouldn't fit.

I am waiting for my youngest to wake up so I can finish up the review

msg221

Ooooh, that would be interesting to see! :)

Well, if all goes well, my plan is to borrow my goddaughter tomorrow since she will be the one riding in the new seat, then go to my stepdaughter's house to pick up my TFP that she borrowed last weekend, then hit the BRU right by her house to take a look at the new Britax seats and hopefully try one in my car. I will take pics of it next to the TFP and post so all can see. I would love to get a pic of her in both seats but not sure how that will go over with a BRU employee having to accompany me out there. I swear, it would probably be so much easier to just order the seat so I could take my time installing it, putting the kids in it and seeing how it fits in my car and if it doesn't work out, return it. I sure as heck don't want to do all of this when it's 100+ degrees out tomorrow.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Have you looked at a MyRide? If the biggest temptation is front-to-back space, my understanding is that it is similar to the MA. It is also considerably less expensive, similarly-shelled and has more legroom.

No, I wouldn't buy a Britax for a 2yo... or any child I wanted to ERF. (Which is all children, lol.) I know they work for some, but they would not meet my needs.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
My review should hopefully be up in 2-3 hours. The video is currently publishing and then I know it will take forever to upload on youtube. I do have a written review to go along with it.

autumnlily

I'm considering a MA or two. I do like the headwings on the BLVD better but not sure I could justify the cost. I have two 28.5mo olds.

Their 4y8m big sister easily fit RF in the original MA.

marjen

I bought a Roundabout 55 for my just-turned 2 year old. It will be here tomorrow, so I'll post pics then :) It doesn't bother me that she may not make it to 4 in it or whatever...it fits my needs right now. I don't mind manually adjusting the harness straps, and it has most of the features of the other models.

ETA: This won't be her primary seat...she is RF in a Signo G2.

Athena

Thanks for all the replies! Interesting so far. Keep em coming!

Have you looked at a MyRide? If the biggest temptation is front-to-back space, my understanding is that it is similar to the MA. It is also considerably less expensive, similarly-shelled and has more legroom.

No, I wouldn't buy a Britax for a 2yo... or any child I wanted to ERF. (Which is all children, lol.) I know they work for some, but they would not meet my needs.

I've considered them all to some extent. ;) But it was my understanding that the MR doesn't fit any better front-back than my current MA and isn't any taller and possibly a little shorter so I rejected it. And, honestly, there are things I really like about my MA, like the easy latch buckles with dual tighteners, although DD would probably love a cup holder. :) If you don't mind my asking, what needs do they not meet? Are you referring to the shell height (about which I am also concerned) or something else I might not have thought of yet? Thanks.

I bought a Roundabout 55 for my just-turned 2 year old. It will be here tomorrow, so I'll post pics then :) It doesn't bother me that she may not make it to 4 in it or whatever...it fits my needs right now. I don't mind manually adjusting the harness straps, and it has most of the features of the other models.

ETA: This won't be her primary seat...she is RF in a Signo G2.

The only reason I wasn't considering that model was because I thought I remembered it being shorter (or lower harness slots? .. I'll have to look again) and I'm already worried about the height of the other models. We make tall kids. :) But you have a good point about getting what fits your needs now, although in our case, this would probably be her primary seat.

Carrie_R

If you don't mind my asking, what needs do they not meet? Are you referring to the shell height (about which I am also concerned) or something else I might not have thought of yet? Thanks.

I don't mind at all. "My needs" are different than most peoples' needs; I always have trouble with the "what would you do" threads because often what I would do varies so much from what someone else would do. At this point in time, my primary need is for seats that will puzzle in the third row, RFing, in a very small amount of space. I RF my kids until forever (I know, seriously, lol) and am on a tight budget. So I'm hard pressed to justify getting something that does not have a special niche that it meets, especially something quite pricey. (I didn't mind the Radian because I needed both the extra RFing weight and the narrowness, for example.)

So, I can get a seat with the same RFing height, shell height, and puzzling abilities in my MyRide, plus extra leg room, which for me, better fits my needs. For some people, ease of use is a premium; nothing about my car seat life is easy so it's not worth the cash, lol.

If the new Britaxes had an amazing safety feature, were particularly narrow, had higher RFing limits (ie Multi-Tech) or some other amazing new innovation, then they might meet my needs better than what I have right now. For me, meh, seems like a lot of money for things I can get in other seats in either better or less expensive ways. I fail to see what makes them must-owns, when I feel like (again, for me,) I can get "the same" with a MyRide or "better" (leg room/weight) with a Radian.

And again, this is only for me, I know they have great appeal for others, especially those who have a long history with the brand from when they were "THE BEST" and I totally respect that. I think being a relative newbie to the CPS world, I missed the whole Britax-love era and therefore I just don't "get it."

Do you need to replace your MA right now? Or do you just have the itch for a new seat?

wavegal

I know that these new seats are supposed to sit lower, but is it considerably lower than the previous BLVD models? Because the taller and heavier the kids got, the more I disliked that base on the BLVD! I really want to put one in my car next to my TFP so I can do a side by side comparison!
I currently have the BLVD70 and TF installed side by side in my Pilot, if you would like I can take pictures.

marjen

The only reason I wasn't considering that model was because I thought I remembered it being shorter (or lower harness slots? .. I'll have to look again) and I'm already worried about the height of the other models. We make tall kids. :) But you have a good point about getting what fits your needs now, although in our case, this would probably be her primary seat.

It has lower harness slots (by 1 inch I think), but has the same shell height. So it won't really make a difference for RF. Forward facing is a while off for me, so I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it :)

Carrie_R

Okay, a brief mea culpa. Somehow I totally missed that the new Britaxes take up less front-to-back room than the old Britaxes. THERE is an advantage. Still not sure if it meets *my* needs but it does make a difference for others :D

msg221

I currently have the BLVD70 and TF installed side by side in my Pilot, if you would like I can take pictures.

Yes, please! I still want to go and at least look at the new Britax seats, so I am taking my goddaughter Nour with me tomorrow, preferably in the morning! I am really curious about the Marathon as well.

This is going to be something new for me, taking just one of the kids out. I usually have Nour's twin brother with me too, but there is no way I would get to play with seats if I had both of them!

Now that you have the Boulevard and the TF, which do you like better and why?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC