Question Facebook Carseat Pictures

maddysmomma

Okay, so I see A LOT of my facebook pals posting random pictures of their children in the car. Most of the times, the chest clips are at their bellies, their FFing under a year, etc. Yesterday a girl posted a picture of her little two year old in a HBB. He looks smaller than my son, and my son is 36 inches & 34ish lbs. We weren't really even friends in HS, so I don't know how she ended up on my facebook.

I believe the LAW in WI is 4 years & 40lbs for a booster, her son is no where near that...

Would you try to say something in a nice way or let it go? I don't want to offend her, but at the same time that's scary. What do you do? :(

ADS

Jan06twinmom

I don't see a ton of car seat pictures. But when I do, I might comment.

My SIL had a picture of a Winnie the Pooh in the car seat when she was getting ready to have her baby. I made a comment about how he wasn't safe in his car seat and where the chest clip should be.

Another friend posted a picture and I send her a private message. I mentioned that it looks like her 3yo son pushed the chest clip down and how my kids went through a stage where they kept doing that too.

When another friend posted about putting her DD ff when she hit 20lbs, I sent her a private message about it. Her DD is a special needs toddler. My friend put her baby back rf, which was also good because her DD actually lost some weight.

Melanie

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I might say something once, then leave it. Or post on my wall about extended rear facing or the law in my state so she can read it herself.

I've been pleasantly surprised when I post to people about their kids pictures. Remember, sandwich the comment between compliments. It'll help it go down easier.

By the way, I moved this thread to carseat chat, since it's not really about carseats per se.

Wendy

Mom2FiveGirls

I'm all the time posting stuff on proper car seat usage/best practice, but apparently people just ignore it for the most part. I had someone sent me a message asking for recommendations on a new car seat for her not quite 3 year old. I recommended HWH seats (nautilus/maestro) and really stressed the need to keep her harnessed until she was old enough/mature enough to sit properly in a booster seat all the time but at the very least until she was 4 and 4 lbs. She thanked me, said she'd look into them, etc. Then she posts that she got a high back turbo booster! I could cry... She's not even 3 and is the same height and just a little heavier than my 3 year old.

But, for the most part, I don't say anything. The few times I have, even though I've been really nice about it, people get offended. Maybe I'm just going about it the wrong way...

cookie123

Try posting a picture of your baby rf in a correctly used seat and saying how you learned recently that - blah blah blah! And now here's baby all safely harnessed.:)

Mom2FiveGirls

Try posting a picture of your baby rf in a correctly used seat and saying how you learned recently that - blah blah blah! And now here's baby all safely harnessed.:)

I do this too. I get a lot of "OMG why won't you let her grow up already?!?" or "Why in the world is she still backwards! You know you should have turned her like 2 years ago?" comments. Which I love because it gives me the opportunity to post about ERFing, etc.

all together ooky

It's against the law in WI to have a child under 4 or under 40lbs in a booster. Let her know that as nicely as possible. With lots of compliment about how cute he is. :)

jjordan

If you're going to confront someone directly (as opposed to posting articles/links/photos on your own wall), then better to use a private message instead of posting on their wall or as a photo comment. You don't want them to think you're criticizing their parenting for everyone (or, all their FB friends, anyway) to see.

Anne

One FB friend posted a pic of her 21 month old in a backless booster with the shoulder belt behind her back. I sent her a private message which she never responded to. I left it alone though. I informed her, that's all I can do.

Another friend posted pics of both her girls in backless boosters, one 7ish, one about 3. They both had belts behind them and were slumped over against doors and center consoles asleep. I haven't messaged her. I'm just not sure how to approach it and it was frustrating to not even get a reply from the other friend.

sunnymw

I let it go :eek:

The info is out there. If they're smart enough to use FB and see my articles and comment on my stuff and play Farmville, they should be smart enough to put 2 and 2 together.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC