Has anyone had this issue with Radian?

mommyof3tx

Has anyone had this issue with Radian? *update

Tonight in the car my almost 3yr old kept loosening his harness somehow and we couldn't figure it out, when strapped in correctly he can't reach the little "tab" thing to pull up to then loosen it. So when we got home I was playing with it and it keeps sticking up, if you push it up at all it stays there and you can loosen the harness completely without holding it up. If I push it back down hard it will stay and you can't loosen it but I shouldn't have to do that, right? If he gets the extra part of the strap hanging out, you know that you pull to tighten, with his feet and plays with it at all it would push that release up and he can loosen the straps fully!

I don't know if this is just something that happens with radians, normal? Ours never did it until now. The only thing I can think to fix it is tucking that extra part down between the bottom of the seat and the back of the seat (RF) but the way it sits against the back of our seat it would be impossible to loosen and tighten with diff clothes or to get him in and out easier? At this point he isn't doing it intentionally, he just messes with that strap then the next time he tries to sit up at all he has no resistance so he can move freely and next thing I know he's almost out of his seat :|

Last edited:
ADS

mommy-medic

My oldest used to do loosen herself as well. She learned that if she pulled the harness adjuster towards her head and leaned forward, she could activate the toggle that loosens the harness. I don't remember what type of seat it was (probably a century something- 11 years ago!). Not sure if that helps or not but if the toggle isn't staying in place I would definitely call SK!

mommyof3tx

Ok thanks, I guess I'll do that tomorrow. Yeah he isn't doing it at the same time, it's sticking up. At first I didn't realize it was stuck up so I tightened it a ton and then just pulled on the harness and it fully loosened so I thought it was completely broken but if I push it back down hard it does stay put but not sure it would in a crash?

mommyof3tx

I called this morning and they want me to send a picture so I'm waiting now for my DH to go out to the car (he's at work) and take a pic for me to send in and then they will decide if it's normal, the seat needs to be replaced or just a part needs to be replaced.

I guess I have to put the Nautilus back in the car for the weekend and just have him FF until we figure out what they are going to do about his seat....hopefully it fits with the boys 2 parkways

mommyof3tx

I thought I'd share the video of what is actually wrong

I've just gotten off the phone with Russ and they are sending our a replacement seat today and then will pick up my seat. He wants to see the seat to figure out what's wrong, that it's really odd for that to happen. He also told me to keep the cover on the one I have! Which is just awesome for them to do. Wonderful customer service! In just a couple hours after contacting them the first time they are shipping out another seat the same day.

family5oregon

I think my seat does the same thing. I'll have to double check. In the past I have had to push the tab down to make sure the adjuster strap doesn't slip through. I just figured this was how the seat was. Thank you for posting the questions. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Yikes! That is BAD! Bad, bad, bad! And if there are really multiple Radians out there that do that... well, that's even scarier. Thanks for posting the video clip.

ownedbyhorses

I am going to go and check mine now. Just to be sure. I am pretty certain it does not do that. Everytime I have used it, it has popped right back. I am glad you called and got it taken care of. Also a good thing you have another seat to use in the meantime.

Pixels

This is something that is definitely worth reporting to NHTSA. Yes, at least so far it seems that SKJP is responsive, but lets not let it slip through the cracks. If it really is something, NHTSA needs to know about it and a recall needs to happen. If it's nothing, then it's nothing.

Amaris

Mine does that all. The. Time. I even talked directly to russ about it and he had never heard of it and pretty .much insisted it had something to do with the way I was installing it. He told me to take the safe stop off since she was close enough to 40lbs (36lbs) and see if that helped. Nothing seems to make a difference, I put the safe stop back on, and now I always make sure the thing is down. I can't find the number for russ, but it would be nice to remind him that the problem is out there on more than 1 seat!

family5oregon

:2thumbsup: Mine DOESN'T do that! I tried and tried to make it do it. I guess I give it a little extra push to make sure it's secure, eventhough it doesn't need it. Now that I think about it I do it on all my harness seats. LOL :p

Thank you though for the help!

mommyof3tx

When I spoke with Russ he seemed really concerned, he saw my video too and said they have never seen any of their seats do that before or had complaints of it before. That he wanted the seat back to look at in person because obviously that is unsafe and to see if they could figure out why it happened to my seat. I really hope they take it as seriously has he seemed to over the phone. They were VERY quick to replace it without even asking where I got it or how old it was, he even told me after they said they would replace it that no matter what I said they would be replacing it but did I possibly know what could of happened...which I don't. It hasn't been dropped or misused in any way. My new seat should be here today and then they'll be picking up this seat soon I'm guessing.

mommyof3tx

And my new one just arrived :) But didn't come with a return label....maybe they are mailing it separately?

Do you think I should do anything more since they seem to be taking it seriously and looking into it?

mommyof3tx

Ok I'll do that then. I tried to make this new one do it and it won't. I've also noticed the harness is MUCH smoother than my other. I can just pull to tighten like most seats, whereas that now broken one, you had to pull a little at a time. That one was from the first batch of the XTSL's manufactured in 9/09...this new one was made 6/10.

I do have to say though that even though the problem is very scary and should never have happened and I'm glad we caught it before we were in a wreck or something, Sunshine Kids went above and beyond what I expected when I first called them. They were VERY quick to get it taken care of and didn't even care how old the seat was or anything, they were on top of getting it replaced right away. It was the best customer service I've ever gotten anywhere.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC