Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

LuciaBella

Need help to rf older kiddos!

Family I know wants to rf their two kids: W is 5 and 42 in 38lbs, F is 3 and 38in and 32lbs. Help me do this without having to buy them new seats!
    They currently have an xtsl, radian 65 (only rf to 33), and 2 blvds. They have an 09 or 10 Honda odyssey.

The problem is that the mom is having troubles installing the radian since it's so reclined. Her husband is tall and when he drives, needs to
    put the seat almost all the way back.

I was thinking F in a blvd drivers side and W in the xtsl center or passenger?
    They also car pool so need to have the other seats dispersed in the 3rd row.

What about 3rd row installs with a radian or blvd? Anyone have issues?
    What was the conclusion Russ gave on rf without the boot? Did anyone get crash info?
    Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Re: Need help to rf older kiddos!

Quote Originally Posted by LuciaBella View Post
    What was the conclusion Russ gave on rf without the boot?
    I don't have particular experience with these seats and this vehicle, but you canNOT use any Radian RF without the boot. It's not allowed, period.

Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

I think the oldest one is too heavy to rf if the radian only goes to 33 lbs RFing and the blvds are what- 35 lbs? The baby won't have too much longer to go either.

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mommy-medic View Post
    I think the oldest one is too heavy to rf if the radian only goes to 33 lbs RFing and the blvds are what- 35 lbs? The baby won't have too much longer to go either.
    The Radian XTSL allows RF up to 45 lbs. So, 1 45 lb RF Radian, 1 33 lb. RF Radian, and two 35 lb. RF BLVDs.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

What's the DOM on the 65? For a long time the 35-lb Radians had 33-lb stickers.

I can't imagine rear-facing a Radian in the third row of the Odyssey. Even my Coccoro didn't fit back there without touching the captain's chair (permissible--just saying it's tight.) I think I did have the captains chair pushed all the way back, though. Maybe in the middle of the third row. I don't know.

Does the 3-year-old fit in the BV by height? If so, go with that unless the RN65 is a 35-lb seat

If it were my kids I'd put the three-year-old in the XTSL and not worry about rear-facing the 5-year-old.

7. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by BookMama View Post
    The Radian XTSL allows RF up to 45 lbs. So, 1 45 lb RF Radian, 1 33 lb. RF Radian, and two 35 lb. RF BLVDs.
    Thanks- I read the OP too quickly and just saw "Rading, 33 lbs RFing". Completely missed there was an XTSL in the mix.

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Honestly, unless there are special needs, I'd focus on RFing the 3yo. 5yo is fine FFing and top-tethered.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Senior Community Member

So what is the date that they went from 33 to 35 pounds rf on a Radian 65?
    Aurora 5/23/94 (married 3/9/13), Oliver 12/27/95, Simon 9/11/98, Savannah 4/9/00, Harrison 2/26/03, Genevieve 2/24/05, Sebastian 4/24/08-Monterey, Radian XT, or Literider, Magnus 4/26/14-Combi Shuttle 35

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
    So what is the date that they went from 33 to 35 pounds rf on a Radian 65?
    Late 2007. SK didn't have a more firm date when I called and asked. My 3/07 seat was 33, the 11/07 RN80 I was helping a mom with was 35.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Technician

I have my older son RF in the 3rd row(center) of my Odyssey. I have had him in the center and outboard and the Radian fit well (braced ) both places.
    DS 4/06 Recaro Performance Booster; DS 1/08 FR90; DD 10/09 RF XTSL; 10/11 RF XTSL