Britax Video...

njkj

Britax posted this video on facebook and in the begining it talks about the RF limit and shows a shot of a girl in the BV70. This girls head is CLEARLY above the shell so I posted this comment:

When you show the girl rear facing in the BV70 her head is CLEARLY above the shell of the seat. SO does this mean the 1 inch rule applies to the head wings and NOT the outer shell?????

I wonder what the answer will be?? I plan to call if I do not get a responce b/c if it is an inch below the SHELL then the should NOT show it being used any other way KWIM.

ADS

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
Britax posted this video on facebook and in the begining it talks about the RF limit and shows a shot of a girl in the BV70. This girls head is CLEARLY above the shell so I posted this comment:

When you show the girl rear facing in the BV70 her head is CLEARLY above the shell of the seat. SO does this mean the 1 inch rule applies to the head wings and NOT the outer shell?????

I wonder what the answer will be?? I plan to call if I do not get a responce b/c if it is an inch below the SHELL then the should NOT show it being used any other way KWIM.
I agree!

You know if they had added a higher grade plastic around the EPP foam in te blvd70 (like a better plastic that was used on the old blvd) instead of just using the epp in the head wings, they probably could have tested the seat rfing using the head wings rather than just the shell. kwim

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I saw that, too.

Why would the headwings even need to be reinforced? They used to go by the tips of the ears even w/ the shell for RF (similar to Sweden I believe). Then they changed to head even with the top of the shell (like some of the Dorel seats now). Finally they decided to conform w/ industry standards (for the US, which are now changing again) and follow the 1" rule. RF is so much safer to the head and neck than FF; I think they should go back to the original tips of the ears even w/ the shell rule. Then kids like that girl would fit RF, the shells would still be smaller to fit better in cars RF, etc.

montanamama

I'm in one of my prego not so nice moods so I also posted on their facebook about the video hopefully they will clarify or take the video down. my post it the one with my DD RFing in her now destroyed Avenue that was attacked by the bear a few weeks ago.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think the possibility that parents might misuse seats and children ramp up and out and be at risk of severe head injury because their heads are so close to the front seatbacks is what spurred on the 1-inch standard. Even when Britax touted the tops of ears rule, one of the experts from Saferidenews mentioned it might not be the best idea. Though maybe with the new harness system it's easier to get the harness right and it might not be so critical (the 1 inch rule is somewhat for misuse factors, to add a cushion for kids whose parents don't use seats right)? Transport Canada also had a problem with seats performing poorly when the harness was in the top slots RF (there were some recalls years ago, IIRC, when Britax allowed the tops of ears RF).

Irishmama

I can't wait to hear what they say!

Finally they decided to conform w/ industry standards (for the US, which are now changing again) and follow the 1" rule.

What are the standards changing to, do you know? Or can you not share?

I'm in one of my prego not so nice moods so I also posted on their facebook about the video hopefully they will clarify or take the video down. my post it the one with my DD RFing in her now destroyed Avenue that was attacked by the bear a few weeks ago.

Holy cow! A bear? I will never complain about dirty covers again!

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The "industry standard" they changed to is the 1" rule... the changes I was referring to were mainly the head even w/ the headrest/shell change that Dorel has made.

njkj

I just got off the phone with Debra at Britax and she watched the video while I was on the phone with her. She clearly sees what everyone else does and said she would find needs to look it to it. She took down my number and is going to call me back with her findings.

sb518

I just watched the video and am not seeing what you saw. Did they change it??? AHhh duh. I see it now. The SHELL. DUH.

Aurezalia

It's still there, Tumble. About 16 seconds in.

I'll be really interested to hear their answer on this...

MomToEliEm

I just watched the video and am not seeing what you saw. Did they change it??? AHhh duh. I see it now. The SHELL. DUH.

I still see it. Go to 0:16 in the video. There is a girl sitting rearfacing in the carseat. Her head is above the shell of the seat, though still contained within the headrest portion of the seat.

edited to add: I guess I was too slow in my posting and a couple others already posted the same info.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I agree!

You know if they had added a higher grade plastic around the EPP foam in te blvd70 (like a better plastic that was used on the old blvd) instead of just using the epp in the head wings, they probably could have tested the seat rfing using the head wings rather than just the shell. kwim

I'm not even sure what federal standard applies to the rear facing height limit. Does anyone know? There is no vehicle seat in front on the test bench. I think the main issue is ramping toward the front. The secondary issue is presumably whiplash protection should be adequate until the tops of the ears are at the top of the shell. I wonder if it is just an internal decision, possibly based on consistency of message, rather than one based on design factors.

As a side note, remember that you have to measure perpendicular to the back of the child seat. When the seat is installed at an angle, if you measure parallel to the ground, it might appear the child has outgrown the shell height limit even though they have not. The camera angle doesn't help, either. Plus, the head restraint section makes this even harder to see because the head is not right up against the shell. I suspect that viewed and measured correctly, it may well be that the child is closer than 1" to the top of the shell, but it probably isn't far beyond that and not nearly as bad as it looks.

Of course, to avoid confusion, they could have simply used a different angle or shorter child. Or, just change the guidance and the video will be A-OK:)

njkj

She called back to inform me that the are looking into it futher and will get back to me but it probably will not be untill Monday.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC