New Britax 70 sighting - More front seat space! :)

Athena

I got to play with a new Britax 70 carseat tonight at BRU (BLVD). I found the recline lever stiff and I am still concerned about the shell height for RF. I liked the deeper seat and sides, non handed latch connectors and stow slots, the continuous front adjusting harness adjuster. Also, I was pleased to find that sliding both harness loops onto the single harness holder in the rear was surprisingly easy (unlike the radian).

Most interesting to me, when I tried installing it (and keep in mind it is hard to do a controlled comparison), it appears that my front seat can be back 3-4 clicks more with this new seat compared to my old marathon. Is that possible that it could be that different?

Most surprising of all. I got good service from someone who knew something about car seats .. at BRU! I was happy about that.

Last edited:
ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Yes, it is possible that there could be that big of a difference in seats to allow you to move your front seat that much. The new Britax seats are not only shorter in the shell, they have THREE recline positions and a completely different base, which could affect the angle at which the seat is reclined.

I think everyone who has played with the seat so far has been (mostly) impressed. I (and several other members) also had an issue with the recline handle. :mad:

Athena

Thank you for reminding me about the base. I noticed it looked quite a bit bigger. My impression is that the small footprint made by the previous base was part of what made it compatible with more cars. Any thought on how the new larger base will affect installation compatibility? As far as I could tell, it went in our Forester well, but it definitely took longer for me to get it really tight than our current seats. Whether that is because the car's seat is already pre-compressed for our current seats, I don't know, but could be.

I just realized I did not try to install it FF and am now wondering if I should make sure it does install well that direction.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm wondering if it has to do also with them sitting LOWER. I've noticed that in many cases a higher base means it hits the front seats at a different place than a lower-based seat, and pushes the seat further forward.

zoecoltsmama

Hi,
Perhaps a bit off topic, just wondering, when you said "I am still concerned about the shell height for RF" is that because one wants a lower base rear facing? Is a lower seat base safer because of center of gravity?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hi,
Perhaps a bit off topic, just wondering, when you said "I am still concerned about the shell height for RF" is that because one wants a lower base rear facing? Is a lower seat base safer because of center of gravity?

No, what we are all wanting is a LONGER shell so it will contain a taller, older child.

Athena

No, what we are all wanting is a LONGER shell so it will contain a taller, older child.

:yeahthat: Yes, I meant the internal shell height that determines when a child has outgrown it by height (when the top of their head is less than 1" of the top of the shell).

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
They definitely take up less room, I had a good two inches more space between the passenger seat and the back of the bv70, where in my bv65 the passenger seat would touch the car seat. Where you able to get an acceptable newborn recline with it? I was also thinking that the change in the base may affect its compatibility.

Athena

They definitely take up less room, I had a good two inches more space between the passenger seat and the back of the bv70, where in my bv65 the passenger seat would touch the car seat. Where you able to get an acceptable newborn recline with it? I was also thinking that the change in the base may affect its compatibility.

Good to know about the 2"! I can't wait to watch your review (hopefully tonight). I just did a quick install and didn't try for a newborn recline. But the compatibility of that old small footprint base did seem like a huge pro for it. We'll have to see how this one does with that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC