SIP???

sholoulou

So this has been on my mind ~
I recently bought my son a Monterey with the great SIP headwings.
Sooo I we were in the drive thru at McDs and I pulled over to park. Well, I did not see the concrete parking block and hit it... pretty hard but then maybe it was just because we were not prepared and it surprised us all. I asked if everyone was OK and my son said he hit his head on the SIP of the headwings. He said his head went forward and when it went back it did not go between the headwings but instead hit the side of the headwings. So now, even though I like the look of the big SIP of the headwings, I wonder are they really safe in a crash or just overkill. I would hate to think my child would actually be hurt because his head hit the darn headwing!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, so you are saying that the Side Impact Protection did not help in a frontal crash?

sholoulou

That is what I am thinking. He had his head against the back of the booster. When I hit the concrete block his head went forward but when it went back it did not go between the SIP headrest but instead hit one side of the head wings. If he was leaning up and not sitting correct I would not question the headwing but now it makes me wonder.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are no standards for SIP. So this may be the way the seat, and all like it, work.

Was it a true frontal, or frontal with a side aspect?

Wendy

sholoulou

It was a frontal. I was parking in a parking space and hit the the concrete parking block. It was straight forward... wondering what would happen in a true crash.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's still energy absorbing foam and plastic, it won't hurt his head to hit the front of the wing any worse than to hit the back of the headrest, IMO.

Though I notice that Britax keeps evolving their headwings to be more like scooped open bowls for head catching upon rebound, so I guess they kind of DO want the heads to go back rather than strike the edge of the wings, to be better in side, rear, and frontal crashes, who knows if other companies will do similar testing as they find ways to improve....?

ntrenary

that worries me too. Z & B both have monterey's and I've always worried about them hitting the side of the head rest in a accident. I'm constantly telling them to sit right.
I think hitting the edge of the head rest is a lot different then hitting the flat back of it. Hitting the edge is going to do some damage, especially if it's a big impact.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC