I am new here

mom2twinks

Hi, my name is Julie.

I have an almost 8 yo DD, an 18 month DD and am currently pregnant.

When my oldest was a baby I used to be the biggest carseat freak (she has had at least 16 different carseats and of course RF to the limit of her MA), by the time our 18 month old was born, I was pretty comfortable with going with a Marathon since that is my favorite ever and decided to try a Radian too (which I absolutely hate with a passion, lol).

I live in Mexico and our carseat offer here is worse than pathetic. In the last couple of years a few upscale baby stores have started selling a few Britaxes and a couple more decent seats, but the prices are outrageous ($445 for a Marathon, $385 for a Coccoro).

So I am back to researching carseats, since I will most likely buy the carseat for the new baby in the US and will have no option to return it. And the main problem is that I will have to fit 3 accross.

I will come back at a later time with the current carseats that I have (all of them pink, so I hope this baby is another girl, lol), to see what suggestions you techs have for our cars.

Most kids here ride unrestrained so I am the freak that will never ride with a lap baby and my 7 yo, who was in a Regent until she was 6.5, is just now occasionally riding without a booster when she is not with DH or with me.

I look forward to learning a lot from this site.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome.

Your seven year old needs to be in a booster, even when with others. She will until she passes the five step test.

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

When she can answer yes to those questions in the other cars (and every car may be different), then she can ride boosterless. Usually that's between 10 and 12 years old.

Everything else you've done sounds fantastic! You'll fit right in.

Wendy

mom2twinks

Thanks for the welcome ladies :)

And thanks for the link Wendy, it also comes in Spanish, so I am sharing it on my FB.

I don´t know any other kids here that use a booster past 5 (and trust me, this is pushing it), and very seldom do we let DD ride with someone else. She currently uses a TB and a PW in our cars. Besides being safer, it is a lot more comfortable for her.

But here if someone has friends after school, they won´t even make sure that there is at least a seatbelt for each child, they will still pile a bunch of kids in a car regardless of shape, size or number, lol. In these situations she won´t go unless I can drive her.

"Responsible" parents will use a seatbelt, it kills me to see the children with the seatbelt across their tummy and the shoulder portion behind their backs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC