Are you comfortable using the old style Britax seats FF?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Absolutely. I did for years. They pass FMVSS213. I'd even use one untethered if I didn't have a tether.

Wendy

ZephyrBlue

Based on the head excursion numbers from the published crash tests? Nope. Would I replace one if that's what I was using for my FF kiddo? Absolutely. Would I use one if I didn't have anything else? Yeah, but I'd put another seat on a credit card if I had to. The crash test data may not translate into anything significant IRL, but I don't like what ifs and maybes when it comes to whether my kids' seats are performing well enough to protect them.

mom2twinks

I am new to this great forum.

I have always loved my Britax Marathons, one is about to expire, but the other one is only 2 years old. Could you please point me to more information about these crash tests?

Wife&MomX3

Based on the head excursion numbers from the published crash tests? Nope. Would I replace one if that's what I was using for my FF kiddo? Absolutely. Would I use one if I didn't have anything else? Yeah, but I'd put another seat on a credit card if I had to. The crash test data may not translate into anything significant IRL, but I don't like what ifs and maybes when it comes to whether my kids' seats are performing well enough to protect them.

I havent frequented this forum in a while, wut did I miss? Britax seats have failed crash tests? :confused: We have a Regent, a FF RA that is about to be replaced, and a RF MA that we plan to use FF next year. Why should we not??

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Britax seats pass all the tests they need to pass.

They *barely* passed some of the tests necessary to be certified as safe (but, again, they did pass and they are certified as safe). And in some tests conducted for research and not certification, harnessed ripped through shells in certain crash scenarios -- but injury markers were within acceptable limits in most of the tests.

Would I buy a Britax? No. But not only because of the tests. Would I use one if I already owned it? I'd switch kids/cars around to use it primarily RFing if I could. But if I needed to use it FFing, I'd know it passed.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I havent frequented this forum in a while, wut did I miss? Britax seats have failed crash tests? :confused: We have a Regent, a FF RA that is about to be replaced, and a RF MA that we plan to use FF next year. Why should we not??

No, they have not. Transport Canada did non standard testing which showed some concerns with forward facing Britaxes in some cars. Doing a search here for Transport Canada and Britax will bring up threads.

Wendy

aeormsby

Yup, currently using one of our MA's FF, and the other one will be used FF also once DS hits the RF limit.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Only if it was all I had available. They passed. Barely. I'm more comfortable using my other seats. I always had qualms about their high-base design FF, and the TC stuff combined with the testing numbers just makes me feel a little more justified in my dislike. So, if I couldn't afford to buy another seat or it was the only one that fit in that spot? I'd do my best to not worry. But if I had another seat already available (remember, I'm the one with like 16 seats for 3 kids :whistle: ) that installed well in that spot and fit the child, I'd absolutely in a heartbeat use a different seat.

glockchick

Only if it was all I had available. They passed. Barely. I'm more comfortable using my other seats. I always had qualms about their high-base design FF, and the TC stuff combined with the testing numbers just makes me feel a little more justified in my dislike. So, if I couldn't afford to buy another seat or it was the only one that fit in that spot? I'd do my best to not worry. But if I had another seat already available (remember, I'm the one with like 16 seats for 3 kids :whistle: ) that installed well in that spot and fit the child, I'd absolutely in a heartbeat use a different seat.

Wanna share? Lol!

gigi

I tried to be comfortable using my Boulevard FFing, but after 4 months I just decided I wasn't. I switched seats with my mom and put the EFTA she had in my car. I'm much more comfortable (and incidentally, my son is much more physically comfortable in the EFTA). I would like it if the EFTA had side wings, but other than that I'm happy I made the switch. It makes me feel a little better about him being FF. I'm thinking I'll sell both my Diplomat and Boulevard and buy another seat for my mom's car.

luvsviola

I passed mine down to DFS for RFing, and bought Radians for DD for our cars and a Frontier for Grandma's car. I use my spare purple Boulevard FF occasionally for DD if she is riding with my 80 year old grandpa (Radian is a PITA to get in his car) but that is only once every couple of months and DD is only 32 pounds. As she gets heavier, I am using the tests to justify new seats that I just want to buy to DH. I am glad I'm in a situation where using them isn't my only option.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Everything has passed the same testing. The Radian releases its numbers and it has great forward head excursion numbers. The Nautilus is good too. Otherwise, I don't know. I'd use whatever you have forward facing that fits your child, fits your car, fits your budget, fits your needs, and will be used properly 100% of the time.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Even though I haven't seen the numbers on every single one of them, I just prefer to avoid higher-based seats forward-facing. It's a personal squick issue, I'm just way more comfortable with a lower-profile convertible.

ZephyrBlue

I think Britax's revamp of the design (lower center of gravity, integrated steel bars) to purposely reduce the amount of head excursion speaks volumes, as well. If their design was perfect and there was nothing to the test results, I don't think we'd see such dramatic differences to the structure/ergonomics of their new convertibles- engineering that we all know cost a LOT of money :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC