some 07 minivan LATCH stats

teekadog

I just spent a month window shopping, so I thought I'd share what I found.

(First, I know seatbelt installs are as safe as LATCH-- I just find it much easier IME to get a good install with LATCH, so that's one of the first things I look for in a car.)

Hyundai Entourage: 4 fully LATCH compatible seats
both middle row Capt. chairs and outboard positions on the 3rd row bench

Nissan Quest: 3 fully LATCH compatible seats
both middle row Capt. chairs and middle position on the 3rd row bench

Chevy Uplander: 2 fully LATCH compatible seats and 1 top tether only position
both middle row Capt. chairs and 1 top tether only position in the middle of the rear bench

Toyota Sienna (8 passenger): 5 fully LATCH compatible seats
all 3 seats in the middle row, and passenger and middle positions in the 3rd row bench

Honda Odyssey: 3 fully LATCH compatible seats and 2 top tether only positions
both middle row Capt. chairs and the middle position of the rear row bench; also 2 top tether only positions on the outboard locations of the rear row bench

Chrysler Town and Country/Dodge Caravan: 3 fully LATCH compatible seats
both seating positions in the middle row (either bench or Capt. chairs) and one postion in the rear row bench... it's weird, the rear row bench is 60/40 split, with 3 belted locations, but the LATCH area encompasses the middle of the 60 side of the bench... so you can belt 3 in the rear row, or LATCH 1 on the 60 side and belt 1 on the 40 side...

That's pretty much when we stopped looking (we've narrowed it to the 3 we'd like to pursue). We also looked at the Mazda 5 and the Suzuki XL-7, just for kicks and giggles. The Mazda 5 has LATCH positions in the 2 middle row seats, and the XL-7 has 5 lower anchors in the middle row... I guess so you can pick and chose which positions you'd like to LATCH your seats? The kids didn't allow me much time to investigate that one LOL!

If anyone wants to add to this, or correct me if I'm wrong (like I mentioned, I had to do all this investigating on the fly, while telling the kids "don't press those buttons!"), please do correct me!

ADS

tchrgrrl

We haven't tried to install seats in our 3rd row but our understanding is that the 06-07 models of the Kia Sedona have 5 full LATCH capable spots. The 3rd row has 3 LATCH positions as well as the 2 captains seats.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Hmm I have heard twice that the 06-07 Sedona only has two set of LATCH in the back row. Let us know when you go take a look because now I am curious about it. :rolleyes:

teekadog

Okay, I was flipping through the Hyundai Entourage 2007 brochure again, and it lists, under Safety Features:

"LATCH Child-seat-attachment System: (2) 2nd-row, (2) 3rd-row" [standard in all 3 trim levels]

I haven't checked out a Kia Sedona-- there are no Kia dealerships in town. I looked them up online, and they don't mention their LATCH compatibility beyong saying they have it, but I did notice a difference between the Hyundai and the Kia. The Hyundai 3rd row, in all trim levels, is a 60/40 split. In the Kia base model (again, according to the Kia site) the 3rd row can be a 50/50 split, and it mentions in the 50/50 split there is no middle head restraint. So, interesting.

teekadog

Just back from test driving-- we only had time for 3.

Toyota Sienna: yup, definitely 5 full sets of LATCH. And I was able to fit 2 Britax MA and an old Evenflo convertible (Scout?) in the 3rd row. Impressive.

Hyundai Entourage: I double checked, and once again I only saw 4 full sets of LATCH. There is only a 3-pt. seatbelt in the center of the 3rd row. Also, there's a huge gap between the 60/40 split... I was able to stick my hand almost all the way through it. There was not near as big a gap in the 3rd row of the Sienna or Odyssey.

Honda Odyssey: just like they say, 3 full sets of LATCH, 2 top tethers on the outboard positions of the 3rd row. I asked the salesman (who seemed to REALLY know his Hondas) about the PlusOne seat, because I'm just so skeptical of it. He said, no, you cannot put any form of child restraint in it, it is technically a jumpseat and you aren't allowed to do that. No, it would not do a very good job of securing a full-size adult in a crash. It would be fine for a child big enough to be out of a car seat, though not very comfortable... I asked, would it be safer in a crash to have an older youth/small adult in the PlusOne, or the front passenger seat, given the advanced frontal airbags they have in the dash? He said he didn't know enough to answer (which I thought was a good answer, honestly). I was in a rush, so only put 1 Britax MA in the middle of the 3rd row. That did leave enough room on either side of it for me to sit comfortably. (I'm about 18" across in that area when sitting down :eek: )

TXDani

Senior Community Member
You can install a car seat on the Plus One seat. A CPST member of this board(Shellebelle) has contacted Honda America and got a solid answer of yes. You can read more about it at oddyclub.org. I think if it were really a jump seat and the Honda salesmen were trained to say it couldn't be used then it would say so in the manual.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The salesman is incorrect. The manual has no restrictions on the PlusOne seat use in the USA. I stickied the relevant post at Odyclub.com in the kids and safety forum.

teekadog

Ooo, I hadn't seen that stickie, thanks! So if we don't get the 8-pass Sienna that we want, I'll definitely spring for the EX over the LX Odyssey, as now I know the PlusOne seat isn't totally useless.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC