Question Evenflo requries 1-2" of clerance with their CONVERTIBLES?

mommaon112903

I read this on another forum and it was also stated at to *why* they require this. The poster stated that Evenflo has went back and fourth on this for years since the seats do not pass testing without the clerance.

I have *never* read this nor heard it until this morning.

Now I know with advanced air bags clearance is needed in *many* vehicles because of the advanced air bags. Yet *never* have I heard/read that Evenflo *requires* 1-2" with their convertible seats. Infant seats,yes.

So, anyone know if this is true or not?

ADS

Dillipop

Seeing as all crash tests (iirc) are done on a bench with nothing in front of it, ie no front seats, I can't imagine how it didn't pass testing without the extra clearance.

I am pretty sure that my EFTA manual does not state that it needs extra clearance. But I could be wrong and am too lazy to find the manual right now.

mommaon112903

I have personally checked two different EFTA manuals (to prove to someone that they can not install center LATCH where there is not a dedicated center anchor) despite a tech installing center. They both have different DOMs and there was *nothing* about 1-2" of clearance in the manuals.

I am wondering how Evenflo states the 1.5" of clearance with their infant seats. I too, IIRC, thought all tests were done on a bench seat with no front seat.

Pixels

Yes, but also all tests are done on the exact same test bench, and Graco requires 100% on the seat with no overhang, and Dorel requires support from the vehicle seat. It's what each manufacturer has found to be important with their own seats when they test above and beyond the minimum, standard test bench scenario.

mommaon112903

Yes, but also all tests are done on the exact same test bench, and Graco requires 100% on the seat with no overhang, and Dorel requires support from the vehicle seat. It's what each manufacturer has found to be important with their own seats when they test above and beyond the minimum, standard test bench scenario.

Thank you pixels. I should have thought of that myself, didn't have my caffiene in me yet though ;)

Does Graco require *all* of their seats to be 100% on the vehicle seat with no over-hang or just the Turbo (which I recently found out) and the GN?

Do you know if Evenflo really does require that clearance with their convertibles? I just do not want people being given the wrong information-either way.

Thanks so much!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Do you know if Evenflo really does require that clearance with their convertibles? I just do not want people being given the wrong information-either way.

Evenflo does NOT require that clearance with their convertibles, only the infant seats.

Pixels

Graco requires no overhang for the Nautilus, CarGo, Turbobooster, and Airbooster. I looked quickly and didn't see that for the CozyCline, the convertibles, or the infant seats, but I won't guarantee it's not there.

I have not seen that the convertibles require clearance (Evenflo). I don't have access to their manuals online, so can't confirm.

Maedze

I have personally checked two different EFTA manuals (to prove to someone that they can not install center LATCH where there is not a dedicated center anchor) despite a tech installing center. They both have different DOMs and there was *nothing* about 1-2" of clearance in the manuals.

I am wondering how Evenflo states the 1.5" of clearance with their infant seats. I too, IIRC, thought all tests were done on a bench seat with no front seat.

My guess is it's due to their unreinforced handle-thingie (having momentary aphasia for the word). It can't be upright because presumably it's not reinforced for impact against the seatback. They probably feel that it would shatter and fling pieces everywhere if it impacted the seat it front of it. That's my guess, anyway, nothing conclusive.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
The manufacturers' instructions and summary sheets CD (put out by SafetyBeltSafe) says this in the Evenflo infant seat summaries:

Manufacturer states that, when installing this infant-only
restraint in an outboard seating position, there should be at least 1.5"
of space between the restraint, including the handle, and the back of
the front seat. This guideline is intended to allow a low safety seat to
rotate away from a yielding front seatback in a severe rear
impact.

mommaon112903

It just frustrates me when a tech is saying this without conculsive evidence. I figured if Evenflo really did require the space that I would have (a) read about in their manuals and (b) saw it on here.

Thanks everyone!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC