Advocate CS ...keep or sell?

kristy121

I had an issue with my blvd CS dating back to when the seat was purchased so after talking to Britax today they are sending me a different seat to replace it. They are sending an advocate cs

Ive never looked into it much before but I am wondering since all the Britax seats are on sale now to make way for the new ones should I bother trying to sell it? I would like to sell it and wait for the new ones or pick up another radian as much as I hate installing them at least they RF to 40lbs.

I could also keep the advocate but it seems to bulky with the side things attached....Guess I could wait till I see it in person..Decisions decisions.....

ADS

kristy121

29lbs
22 months
we drive an 06 explorer.

I know if will fit her as well as our truck since we have the blvd in it now which is essentially the advocate minus the air things on the side. I am just wondering what the advocate rates like here, I never see much about it.

But since they are all on sale now Im not sure how easy it would be to sell it to purchase something else

canadiangie

How much shell does she have above her head?

I know the BV and the AV and all of the Britax seats are far from our faves around here, but since you have it already I'm sort of torn on whether you should sell it. I know my youngest who is a tall almost 3 y/o would still fit in her BV if it rf'd to 35lbs as the AV does. Certainly I don't have an issue with the air cushions on the sides of the seat assuming they aren't too wide in your vehicle, etc. Enhanced side impact protection is probably a good thing.

I guess ultimately what you need to verify is how much longer she can rf in it, how long you want her to rf, and whether you're wanting to use the seat ff down the road.

kristy121

Yes we would plan to keep it for FF once she outgrows RF. We also have the new style radian in petal so this could be the 2nd less used seat if need be. I prefer the britax over the radian as I have a heck of a time installing the radian where the britax takes me a few minutes.

She measures about 32 tall and just under 20 seated.

Is there any specific reasons Britax isnt that popular here? Ive know Ive seen bad things because of the price point. but since that isnt an issue here what are the other reasons? They seem to be popular safety standpoint wise right?

so if I were to sell this one when it comes what would be the recomended seats?

TruFit - Hate the install of it in our truck -we returned this one
Complete Air - Dorel also dosent seem to popular here
Radian

What are the others?

sparkyd

There are lots of different opinions on various seat manufacturers around here. Some people love Britax and hate Dorel. Others have no time for Britax and think people should cut Dorel some slack. I love my True Fits and you hate them. To each his/her own. It's a personal thing.

Britax doesn't get recommended a whole lot basically because they are so expensive and before the new models that are coming out soon you weren't really getting much bang for your buck. Lots of people (like me) don't see the point in paying lots of money for a seat that doesn't fit newborns (excluding the Chaperone, of course) and has a low RF limit (all but a couple of current models). There are other seats that get you more for your money. We'll see how that equation shifts (or not) when the new seats are out. They are generally easy to install and seem to have good customer service in most cases. It isn't possible to say with any validity that one seat is any safer than another. And some people will just pay anything for a cow-moo cover. :p

Another often recommended seat is the Graco MyRide. You'd need to read up on it to see if it would be a good choice for you.

kristy121

Thanks for the great info. I do agree with you about the RF limit, and alot of there option seem like gimicks....

I do think at this point we will try to sell it first and see if we can get a decent price for it. Maybe we should try the tru fit again, when we had it in DH's car (grand prix) we couldnt tighten or reach the harness adjuster because it was halfway down the seat and we just found it so difficult so returned it the next day.

I will look into the myride as well, I have seen some posts on that one. I think Graco seems to be a pretty well rated brand besides the infant seats right?

kristy121

Just to add:
At the end of the day my main concern like everyone else here is DD's safety - which I think includes RF as long as possible (preferably 40lbs)

But I also need a seat that is easy to install since we do move them around alot unfortunetly, and comfy for DD as well as a safe well tested seat.

:)

sparkyd

Maybe we should try the tru fit again, when we had it in DH's car (grand prix) we couldnt tighten or reach the harness adjuster because it was halfway down the seat and we just found it so difficult so returned it the next day.

The harness adjuster issue is definitely the negative part about the True Fit. The best way around this is to not adjust the harness. It is a "continuous" harness meaning that you can pull one side way out to put one arm in then pull the other side out for the other arm without touching the harness adjuster. Then you even out the sides and buckle. This way you only have to mess with the adjuster when kiddo grows and you need to loosen it a bit. The other option is to buy the "Rebound" version that has the anti-rebound bar. The harness adjusting problem goes away with that one. I have yet to install one of those, but I haven't heard they are any more difficult or make the seat fit in the car differently. You did say you would like 40 lbs though, and these only go to 35. My older son lasted to 3 RF in his.

I will look into the myride as well, I have seen some posts on that one. I think Graco seems to be a pretty well rated brand besides the infant seats right?

I'm not sure if you mean that the infant seats are not rated well or that they are and you aren't sure if their non-infant seat are rated well. In any case all of the Graco seats available for sale now are great (the ComfortSport wasn't a big hit but I don't think you can buy those anymore). My only hesitation with the MyRide is that really tall kids might not get full use out of it RF, and some people find it really reclined FF. But it's a great seat.

But I also need a seat that is easy to install since we do move them around alot unfortunetly, and comfy for DD as well as a safe well tested seat.

Personally I'd stay away from the Radian if ease of RF install in multiple vehicles is one of your criteria. :twocents:

U

Unregistered

Thank you again for the info...thats good to know on the TF

Gor the graco I just seem to remember when the TC videos were released there was some bad feedback form there infant seats that were tested - but I dont know all the facts so shouldnt comment much on them. The seat shipped out today so I am hoping we can sell it when it gets here. The more I think about it the more I am hoping we can get another seat instead. I dont think we should have to much issue selling it to fund a myride or TF rebound

sparkyd

It's been awhile since that TC stuff came out and I don't remember all the details on different seats BUT I do have a Graco Snugride and if there had been anything in there that had concerned me it would be in the garbage. But it's not. ;)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It's been awhile since that TC stuff came out and I don't remember all the details on different seats BUT I do have a Graco Snugride and if there had been anything in there that had concerned me it would be in the garbage. But it's not. ;)

Yeah, there were no issues with the Graco seats at all. It was the Designer 22 seats, the Maxi Cosi Mico, and a Britax Companion which had the issues in terms of infant seats.:thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC