Hypothetical situation--WWYD?

Wiggles

Note: The situation presented in the following post is PURELY hypothetical. I am not saying this just to say it, but because it is true. It popped into my head today while I was making a bagel. Please realize that it represents an IMPROPER USE situation and one should NOT take any answers as advice!

Okay, so now that is out of the way, the situation.

You're babysitting an infant. This infant is 27 lbs. The parents did not leave a carseat as you were only to be looking after the infant for an hour. An evacuation order hits your area out of nowhere. Something wholly unexpected. You MUST leave your home with the baby. You have three carseats available.

Carseat 1 is a 22 lb Snugride. It has three years left before it will expire.
Carseat 2 is a Snugride 35. It is expired by three years.
Carseat 3 is a Snugride 35. It was in a collision where the airbags deployed.

The child will fit by height in any of these seats.

Those are the only carseats at your disposal. Staying where you are is not an option. Calling someone else to get a seat is not an option. What carseat do you choose for this 27 lb child and why?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Assuming it is a "zomg the zombies are attacking, get out NOW!" situation, I'd probably just toss the kid in the back seat and go. Then I'd stop as soon as we're somewhere safe and buckle her into the crashed seat.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I would choose on of the SR35 seats.

Expired seat, several (it seems like more & more) seats now have an 8 year expiration. Given that, you *could* hypothetically be only a little past the expiration if it too had an 8year (which of course it doesn't).

I would not do the 22 since it clearly will not hold the child.

The crashed seat, I guess it would depend on how bad that crash was. It doesn't always take much to deploy airbags so if it was not too bad, I'd probably go with that seat and use it baseless. Baseless because there's less chance of it flying off the base since we no longer know the integrity of the base. One less thing to worry about having been damaged.

Can you go on foot?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I would choose the expired seat, since there must have been a label mix up because there is no way a seat that has been out for less than a year could be 3 years expired.

Yeah, I'm not playing by the rules :p.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd choose expired, and get a Scenera as soon as we were safely evacuated and could get to a store.

jeminijad

#2. The expired uncrashed seat.

Then like everyone else, get ahold of another seat as soon as the zombies are gone.

Wiggles

I would choose the expired seat, since there must have been a label mix up because there is no way a seat that has been out for less than a year could be 3 years expired.

Yeah, I'm not playing by the rules :p.

Well, if it's the zombie apocalypse, as a pp said (I like that, let's run with it) maybe it's a few years into the future. You knew what I meant. lol

TerisBoys

I'm going with the crashed seat, baseless. Assuming the base was in use in the prior crash, stress forces will be different on the shell.

And *yeahthat* for stopping ASAP for a safe seat.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
lol expired seat

i had a hypothetical almost truly happen the other day..i did NOt like the choices. Now i wanna post. lol

BabyKaykes

the expired one...but at 9yrs old I'd probably be freaked by the condition of the cover and take the time to switch with the unexpired crashed one, because it MUST be in better condition, right?

Although, I live in SoCal, so when you say mandatory evac I think major motion picture earthquake damage...in which case I run to my craft storage drawers, pull out a couple yards of fabric, wrap baby on my back and run...cause there's no driving in earthquakes. :p

lol expired seat

i had a hypothetical almost truly happen the other day..i did NOt like the choices. Now i wanna post. lol

post! POST!

andre149

Yup... I'd go with the expired one :) But if we're going with the hypothetical zombie apocolypse situation I would probably grab a wrap and run lol

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Although, I live in SoCal, so when you say mandatory evac I think major motion picture earthquake damage...in which case I run to my craft storage drawers, pull out a couple yards of fabric, wrap baby on my back and run...cause there's no driving in earthquakes. :p
!

There is in fires. The last umpteen gazillion mandatory evacs we've had have been for fires. ;)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Expired, since I think it represents the seat of least compromise. Might consider the crashed, if it was crashed unoccupied and there was no visible damage.

Splash

the SR 22 forward facing. :p

Expired one, by a mile. Possibly the crashed one without the base, but I don't think so.

Mostly I'd wonder why there were so many baby buckets.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC