Rice Cereal...What Is This Stuff????

TheRealMacGyver

I ran out of the usual oatmeal cereal and opened a box of rice cereal today for lunch. I made it like I make the oatmeal (mixed with milk), went about making the other stuff for him, etc. When I sat down to start feeding, the rice cereal was like concrete! I tried to add more milk, then it turned into wallpaper paste! I threw it out. Is this stuff always like this or what? It looks like oatmeal out of the box, but it's odd stuff. Anyhow, any experience with this stuff? I was thinking I could probably use it for filling holes in the drywall:eek:

ADS

Splash

It's evil. Bad bad bad.

I hate rice cereal and never gave it to my kid. I gave him plain rice, yes, but never that grey mush. If you want him to have rice, cook it and throw it in the food processor. It's the same outcome in the end, except real rice is suitable for human consumption.

And, just to clarify, that baby oatmeal tastes just as bad as the rice cereal!

arly1983

We never used rice cereal either. It has no fiber which spells constipation for a baby. We always used oatmeal if any kind of infant cereal. We mostly used ground up whole grains that were milled in a coffee grinder and then cooked to make porridge. It came out to the consistancey of real (not quick) oatmeal. Wonderfull stuff, the breakfeast of champions when you add 1 oz of avacodo(good fat for brain growth) and hard boiled egg yolk(good protein). And amazingly easy once you get the hang of it.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I agree with Splash... There's no need for "baby" cereals - just use regular oatmeal and rice (in the blender/food processor like she suggested).

I actually think that babies shouldn't have cereals (oats, wheat) before a year anyway. Fruits, steamed/mashed veggies, even cooked meat that's been mixed with water and thrown in the food processor is better than cereal grains.

Some folks will disagree (and that's fine :) )...

(Have you tried jarred baby food yet? :eek: )

ETA: Oh, yeah, and eggs/avocadoes like Arly suggested!

arly1983

I knew I was going to make my own baby food about one second after I opened my first jar of baby food. It was carrots.

TheRealMacGyver

All right, now you're making me hungry:D (Just joking) Actually, I'm going to try that Arly with the avacado and egg yolk. We are at the point now where diet is changing and our old easy ways are going out the window. He's a good eater though (like me). Right now we are also trying to ween the bottle, so just a little bit at a time.

LEAW

Baby food in general is just YUCK.

We've always just let the kids have table foods when they were ready. Dd's first food was sweet potato, 2nd was chicken.

She had real oatmeal (not even powdered down real stuff) around 10 months, and was fine.

You can make your own baby cereal by throwing dry oats in the blender and making powder, then cooking as directed on the oats box.

Jarred food is just eww! The smell of it really makes my stomach turn.

arly1983

Thats actually a good time to start that, Jackson will still eat that for breakfeast and he is 25 months. There is a wonderful cook/information book that I still use for ideas with Jackson called Super Baby Food. Here is a link to it
bookstorenow57-20

After having the book for about 20 months, I decided to try to grow an avacoda plant, which the book tells you how. Its really neat looking. My younger cousins are growing one for a science project now. The eight year old said it looked like alien spawn hatching :)
Picture124.jpg

Splash

Charlie is allergic to avocado, and I'm not too big on the taste/texture of them, but I LOVE cutting them up. If I have a really bad day and need to unwind, I go buy myself some avocados and cut them up and mash them. Very relaxing. Some people drink, I make guacamole. I don't eat it, of course! I feed it to the dogs or slather it on my skin. Sometimes I grind up the seed, too, and mix it with the avocado for a nice soap.

I've always wondered... do you think G-d (or whatever) regrets making that seed so huge?

SPJ&E

Rice cereal is pretty gross when ya look at it...and it really doesn't taste any better. Think...cardboard, lol. Put a little more liquid in it than you normally would and the consistency SHOULD be alright.

The only time I've used rice cereal with Joshua is to thicken up baby food when he was on that. He doesn't like anything too runny, which a lot of them are...so I'd mix a tablespoon or so of rice cereal in to thicken it up a bit. Pacey, however, used to love the stuff...plain or with his baby food.

Joshua loves the oatmeal. When he was on baby food, I would mix him up a bowl of oatmeal and add some fruit (baby food) to it...Alisha just put a little oatmeal in the fruit. He HATES rice cereal though and will not eat it (unless it's only a little bit mixed into baby food)...he gags on the first bite and won't take another.

TheRealMacGyver

If I have a really bad day and need to unwind, I go buy myself some avocados and cut them up and mash them. Very relaxing. Some people drink, I make guacamole.

LMAO-you can send that guacamole over this way:D

I ordered the book Arly, so I'm holding you responsible here;) It looks pretty good.

Since we are on the subject, what are your thoughts on milk? ie whole, soy, organic, none?

ETA: Splash, yeh, what's up with that huge seed, mangos the same way. What a bad joke!

Last edited:

Splash

I give Charlie organic whole cow's milk, but for a very long time he got only goat's milk or goat formula (condensed goat milk with water and rice syrup). I'm actually shocked he can handle plain cow's milk now, but I'm not changing it!
I'd prefer to have him still on all goat's milk, but AJ wanted him drinking cow's milk, too. I don't give him soy milk, though. His milk is normally Horizon organic. I bought some the other day and finally realized how much it costs, versus how much we go through, and realized we're spending 70 bucks a month on MILK!

How old is he? I really recommend goat's milk (Charlie stll gets some, just not as much as he used to) for little ones. It's YUMMY too when it's warm.

scatterbunny

We've taken Hayley off cow's milk, tried soy and she hated it, tried almond and she was okay with it, I just bought some rice milk yesterday and we'll try that today. I'm doing dairy-free for health/behavioral reasons, though.

Splash

Goat's milk is very close to human milk in the amount and type of nutrients and fats. It's easier to digest, and is more complete nutrition. I know several babies who had goat milk from birth, with no formula, and did very well. We started giving Charlie's goat's milk at about 7 months I suppose, trying to avoid the elemental formulas (which he ended up on anyway, in addition to breast milk). He actually digested it very well, and he had a hard time digesting ANYTHING. Plus he was so food allergic that even now, at 19 months, he has a limited diet of a few "safe" foods and breast milk. Up until about 14 months or so he barely ate anything because his stomach was just a landmine from all the drugs he had been on (and continues to be on).

Plus, it's yummmmmy!

mamato2

Scatterbunny, how is Haley doing on the diet? Any differences? I just bought Is This Your Child with my older dd in mind. I haven't read much of it yet though.
Splash, I heard recently that avocados can have a toxic affect on cats, dogs and birds. I have a cat who has in the past nibbled on plants and a dog that will eat anything so I have been cautious since I read that.
Our most recent seed just got chewed up by a squirrel :( . It was about to sprout too!
C.

TheRealMacGyver

I'm doing dairy-free for health/behavioral reasons, though.

I have to ask, what do you mean by behavioral reasons? I understand the health reasons, because I personally don't think adults should drink any or very little milk (or eat white flour or sugar for that matter). Just curious about what you mean.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC