Need help with recomendation please...

daycaremom2002

My friends mother-in-law has a 4yr 3month old. I have posted about him before. He is very large. Height wise, he is about 2 inches from the top slot on his regent. Weight wise, he is very big. He is rapidly closing in on 80 pounds. I think he only has a few pounds to go.

Obviously she is going to have to booster him. :( He is very wide, so I am looking for seats to recommend to her. He does not sit well either, and she drives a Neon, so no locking shoulder belt. We only have the basics locally, so turbo, big kid, and Protek.

Our state is an 8 OR 80 state, so I am trying to find her an option that she will use instead of just putting him in a seatbelt. :(

What seats will fit in a Neon and restrain a child this large?

HELP please....:crying:

ADS

Maedze

Budget? The only high back I'd recommend is the Sunshine Kids' Monterey for a kid that big. If they can't afford it, get the Toys R Us version of the backless Harmony.

daycaremom2002

She will have to spend whatever is necessary. I will show her the Monterey. I think he is still too short for a backless, but it might have to be an option. Where is the best price on the Monterey?

Jennifer mom to my 7

The monterey should work fine as a high back for him. My dd outgrew the regent before 6, and still fits in the back of the monterey at 7.5, 90+ pounds, 53+ inches. My 4.5 almost 5 year old is on the top slots of the regent, too, and would have plenty of room in the monterey at 45 inches, 48 pounds. I would want to get an accurate weight on him, too. He might have longer than you think in the regent.

Emi

I am in no way an expert - nor do I have experience with US seats, but while looking for a higher weight harness seat for my heavy DD I came across this Recaro ProSport which is 5 point harness untill 90lb then a belt position booster after - might keep him harnessed a another couple of years? (don't know how fast he is gaining weight? my 8yo is 140cm and 80lb)

http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=6642&region=3&L=2

Good luck

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
2" from the top of a Regent is about 17.5", and the ProSport has 18" top slots. I'm not sure it would be a good long-term plan.

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
She will have to spend whatever is necessary. I will show her the Monterey. I think he is still too short for a backless, but it might have to be an option. Where is the best price on the Monterey?

Babycatalog.com has them on sale for $109+free shipping.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
And I agree about the Monterey. I had a child who was well over 90# (and probably about 52") in the Monterey and it was okay.

daycaremom2002

Thanks. I know she will not buy another harnessed seat. He is within 3 pounds of the limit and he gains very quickly. He was only 73 pounds the last time I watched him 4 months ago. I guess I will have her order one and see how it fits. He literally takes up all the space available in the Regent. He is a very round child. I can barely get him buckled up because it is hard to get to the crotch strap. :( I guess what I am afraid of, is that he will be too wide for any seat and she will put him in the adult seatbelt.

Jennifer mom to my 7

IMG_0348_4.jpg

This was taken in December, about 10 pounds lighter, and maybe an inch? shorter. She still fits fine in the monterey, and has another notch on the back (she is also very long torsoed). A child still in the regent height wise would have more room, plus, the monterey goes backless:)

daycaremom2002

Thanks for the picture. :)

I'm not really worried about height wise. Like I said, he still has a couple inches height in the Regent, but his width and weight is what I am most worried about. When he sits in the Regent, the hip straps come out just under/at the edge of his butt. He is wide and thick. Maybe a little tall, but not much.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'd consider the santa fe, which is the backless Monterey..it's $70, so a savings.
The backless TRU harmony.
Maybe an Apex, if it positions the belt well?
The nauti as a backless is very roomy...
A frontier would be roomy, especially since you can basically "overflow" the sides..but expensive as heck. Maybe a trusted used one from swap?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I really wouldn't want a young 4yo in a backless, if there were any other options. I think Monterey or Apex as booster.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Ooh, Apex as booster is a GREAT option, if she has headrests. I only liked it on my now-8yo, at 7, because none of the other kids filled it out enough. It's so wide.

Monterey was going to be my other option. The aforementioned child, at 8.75, is in the low 90s (92 or 93?) in poundage, 55 or 56" and very solid. He fits in the Monterey with one click to go, and I don't even expand the sidewings. He's fallen in love with his brother's this week, and is now asking me daily to get him one (after being decidedly anti-HBB.) The expanding sidewings might be just the key for this little guy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC