The Nautilus is fine, right?

Wife&MomX3

DD1 needs a HWH-to-booster seat. Im used to Britax seats, but cant afford a Frontier. It seems like the Nautilus is a REALLY popular seat, but I want to make sure it's not popular just because it's so cheap compared to other HWH seats. Is it really a great seat that ppl love anyway, and the lower price is just a bonus?
My oldest is still harnessed in a Regent @ 5.5 yrs old, so I have no booster experience yet. We have an Apex 65 as the spare seat in our other vehicle, but have never tried it in booster mode. Will the Nautilus and Apex 65 be similar to use as boosters?

ADS

Pixels

The Apex requires support by the vehicle at least to the top of the child's ears. The Nautilus does not require vehicle support.

The Apex is a wide seat, and that can cause problems with lap belt fit, especially for younger booster riders.

If I was buying a new seat for my daughter to forward face in, I'd buy the Nautilus. There are cheaper HWH seats, and there are more expensive seats that will last longer, but I really like the Nautilus.

firemomof3

The Nautilus is a great seat :thumbsup: It performed very well in crash tests, fits most kids/vehicles easily, is easy to install and once the harness is outgrown it fits most kids very well in booster mode. From what I have heard the Apex does not fit very well in booster mode.
The only downside to the GN is that you may find your child's head slumps forward when sleeping. But this is not a safety concern ;)

arly1983

The Nautilus is a great seat :thumbsup: It performed very well in crash tests, fits most kids/vehicles easily, is easy to install and once the harness is outgrown it fits most kids very well in booster mode. From what I have heard the Apex does not fit very well in booster mode.
The only downside to the GN is that you may find your child's head slumps forward when sleeping. But this is not a safety concern ;)

:yeahthat:

We will probably have a GN for DD some day soon I am sure and I sorely miss mine for DS.

glockchick

Don't mean to hi-jack, but why is it not a safety concern? If their head is forward against their chest it will not be protected by the EPS foam in the wings in the event of a side impact. :confused: Not trying to contradict, honestly curious.

This is my dd in it. I'm scared we'll get in a wreck and it will push her neck out farther. Why is this not a concern?
IMG_0214-1.jpg

monstah

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but this is my understanding.

It is highly unlikely you will be at a complete stop when someone hits you from the side. Side impacts are going to happen when someone tries to run through a yellow light or tried to beat oncoming traffic while pulling out for a left turn and other similar scenarios. When the car is impacted, the child's head will move forward, likely out of the head wings confines anyway & sideways. You might even argue that a head-slumped kid is at less of a risk since the weight of their head isn't snapped forward.
I wish more side impact crash tests we see on you tube, etc showed real world forward momentum.
But then it wouldn't sell their seats.

glockchick

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but this is my understanding.

It is highly unlikely you will be at a complete stop when someone hits you from the side. Side impacts are going to happen when someone tries to run through a yellow light or tried to beat oncoming traffic while pulling out for a left turn and other similar scenarios. When the car is impacted, the child's head will move forward, likely out of the head wings confines anyway & sideways. You might even argue that a head-slumped kid is at less of a risk since the weight of their head isn't snapped forward.
I wish more side impact crash tests we see on you tube, etc showed real world forward momentum.
But then it wouldn't sell their seats.

So what's the point of all that SIP then? :confused:

monstah

So what's the point of all that SIP then? :confused:

$$$ - The claim sells seats and it is not regulated. You can buy a no back booster labeled "Side Impact Tested!" Really. Someone posted a picture of it here once. A 5 point harness provides plenty of SIP and I bet deep side wings have benefits in certain situations but I happily use a Radian 65.

arly1983

A 5 point harness provides alot of side impact protection and even the scenera (with no esp foam, epp foam, or headwings) has side impact protection according to the packaging.

glockchick

Thanks. I think I'd still prefer headwings because all of my car seat kids have other non-car seat kids sitting next to them and I'd prefer their heads not bang together in a wreck. ;)

And Abi's really close to a door/window with no airbags. I'd love to get Gabriel back in a HBB, but the backless was pushing it for him. :( He still fits in the PW.

arly1983

Thanks. I think I'd still prefer headwings because all of my car seat kids have other non-car seat kids sitting next to them and I'd prefer their heads not bang together in a wreck. ;)

And Abi's really close to a door/window with no airbags. I'd love to get Gabriel back in a HBB, but the backless was pushing it for him. :( He still fits in the PW.

In a crash everyone's head (and everything else) will be moving in the same direction and everyone should be restrained. :confused:

glockchick

They're restrained, but I don't see a shoulder belt holding them in sideways.

Head going the same way is a good point.

katiesmommy

If I remember correctly it's either 18 or 19.

We sparkly heart love our nauti, it's hands down been my favorite seat. I just wish DD could figure out how to unbuckle the crotch strap. She can do the Britax's, but not the Graco's yet.

jess71903

Ambassador
I sometimes wish I had an excuse to turn DS FF just so I could get a Nautius for him. I love it. Top slot height is 18.5"

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Just adding my Nautilus love. :) I really do love that seat. The *only* thing I don't like about it is the cover availability. :p

Mommy2Marcus

Add me to the Nautilus loving group. I have been super happy with mine. I have also had no problems installing it in any of the cars I have used it in. It does require you to have 100% of the base of car seat on the seat. But it would have to be a very short seat for it not to fit!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC