Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question Should I remove the headrest

on the back bench seat of a 2006 Sienna in order to fit the Graco Turbo booster? I did it already, since it seemed to push the seat forward. I think I can make the headrest tall enough so that it doesn't touch the car seat -- but does it matter? Does having the bars of the headrest help protect anything? Hope that makes sense.
    Anne
    DD (8) in Graco Turbo Booster; DS (4.5) in Graco Nautilus
    DD (2) in Recaro Young Sport
    Our ride? 2006 Toyota Sienna

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Should I remove the headrest

I think only the Cosco/Safety 1st Apex requires a headrest behind it.

In my Odyssey, I turned the 3rd row headrests around so that they don't interfere with the carseats. Then if I need them (for an adult), they're there, safely secured in the car.

I think making the headrest taller to get it out of the way might block too much of your rear-view vision.

HTH!
    DS1 - 7.5 yrs, 56 lbs, 50" - Compass B510 Booster or Graco Turbobooster
    DS2 - 5 yrs, 45 lbs, 41" - Britax Husky, Graco Nautilus, Compass B510 Booster
    DD - 17 yrs, newly licensed

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunnermom View Post
    In my Odyssey, I turned the 3rd row headrests around so that they don't interfere with the carseats. Then if I need them (for an adult), they're there, safely secured in the car.
    do the headrests still lock in place when you have them inserted backwards? all headrests have to lock in place to prevent flying out during an accident. usually only one of the two spindles locks into its corresponding shaft. if you flip them around, they may not lock. that could be a serious projectile hazard (especially with those shafts!). (it doesn't matter that the headrests would have to move "up" to become a projectile...you'd be surprised at the directions that things fly during a crash).
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    do the headrests still lock in place when you have them inserted backwards?
    Yikes! Yep, you're right -- they don't lock backwards. Here I am, super-conscious safety mom, very embarrassed. Oops.

The seats that are installed (Radian and Regent) have the headrests wedged in, but regardless, I'll take the headrests out and either store them in the in-floor storage space or keep them in the house.

Thanks!

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunnermom View Post
    Yikes! Yep, you're right -- they don't lock backwards. Here I am, super-conscious safety mom, very embarrassed. Oops.

The seats that are installed (Radian and Regent) have the headrests wedged in, but regardless, I'll take the headrests out and either store them in the in-floor storage space or keep them in the house.

Thanks!
    no prob! i agree, best thing to so is store them safely somewhere. i think someone else here mentioned about turning the headrest backwards, i hope this is not a recommended practice. can any of the techs chime in on this?
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Hmm, I swear I've heard it recommended more than once by experienced techs.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbunny View Post
    Hmm, I swear I've heard it recommended more than once by experienced techs.
    that does appear to be flawed logic to me. every piece of the car's interior has been designed to behave a certain way during a crash... (you know the popular saying here: if it hasn't been crash tested that way, you're making your child a crash test dummy!). IMHO, that applies to the vehicle as well...

in the case of headrests, it *may* be possible that some do in fact lock in place, even when backwards... in that case i don't see it being a problem. and i suppose you could also blame the car maker for designing the shafts in such a way as to allow the headrest to be put in backwards but not lock... it would be easy enough to make them one-way only.

but ultimately i think that any person involved as an authority on carseats and their installation should also have the foresight (and responsibility) to see the car itself as one big safety device, one that shouldn't be tampered with, much as they warn not to tamper with a carseat.

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Excellent points.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Carseat Crazy

Thanks again for the input! I also wanted to add that I was able to educate a friend of mine on the use of headrests...ahem, head RESTRAINTS...for adults this past week. I noticed she had taken all 3 headrests out of the middle row in her SUV (no kids); I asked if anyone ever rode in that row; yes, she said, her mother (!) - so I told her that unless she wanted her mom to have a good case of whiplash, it would be a good idea to keep at least one head RESTRAINT installed for passengers!

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

I found it much easier to get the Regent installed in my '05 Sienna's third row with the vehicle headrest removed entirely. When completely lowered, the third row headrests are integrated into the front of the vehicle seatback rather than in the typical position at the top of the seatback, and it creates a "hump" there that prevents the Regent from being flush with the seatback. It's easier for me to simply store the headrest in the basement than to fiddle with it and try to position it high enough to keep it from interfering with the Regent's installation.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanum View Post
    When completely lowered, the third row headrests are integrated into the front of the vehicle seatback rather than in the typical position at the top of the seatback, and it creates a "hump" there that prevents the Regent from being flush with the seatback.
    more and more cars are adopting that design, since that design creates less rear-view obstructions for the driver. when the restraint is all the way down, it barely sticks above the seatback. but i agree, it creates an awkward bulge in the seatback, and i can see how that could interfere with some carseat installations.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    more and more cars are adopting that design, since that design creates less rear-view obstructions for the driver. when the restraint is all the way down, it barely sticks above the seatback. but i agree, it creates an awkward bulge in the seatback, and i can see how that could interfere with some carseat installations.
    The more integrated headrest design in the Sienna's third row also seems tailor made for folding and stowing the third row into the floor without needing to remove the headrests.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanum View Post
    The more integrated headrest design in the Sienna's third row also seems tailor made for folding and stowing the third row into the floor without needing to remove the headrests.
    ah, yes, that too!

The manual for my '07 CRV actually states that you must remove the headrest for any seating position that contains a carseat. I'm not sure why, though -- maybe because it can interfere with installation? I don't believe it says why.

But now I'm wondering. . .what does that mean for seats like the Apex that require the headrests?

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Niea View Post
    The manual for my '07 CRV actually states that you must remove the headrest for any seating position that contains a carseat. I'm not sure why, though -- maybe because it can interfere with installation? I don't believe it says why.

But now I'm wondering. . .what does that mean for seats like the Apex that require the headrests?
    i guess that means no APEX's in 07 CRV's...