Should I remove the headrest

JayhawkMom

on the back bench seat of a 2006 Sienna in order to fit the Graco Turbo booster? I did it already, since it seemed to push the seat forward. I think I can make the headrest tall enough so that it doesn't touch the car seat -- but does it matter? Does having the bars of the headrest help protect anything? Hope that makes sense.

ADS

trailrunnermom

I think only the Cosco/Safety 1st Apex requires a headrest behind it.

In my Odyssey, I turned the 3rd row headrests around so that they don't interfere with the carseats. Then if I need them (for an adult), they're there, safely secured in the car.

I think making the headrest taller to get it out of the way might block too much of your rear-view vision.

HTH! :)

southpawboston

In my Odyssey, I turned the 3rd row headrests around so that they don't interfere with the carseats. Then if I need them (for an adult), they're there, safely secured in the car.

do the headrests still lock in place when you have them inserted backwards? all headrests have to lock in place to prevent flying out during an accident. usually only one of the two spindles locks into its corresponding shaft. if you flip them around, they may not lock. that could be a serious projectile hazard (especially with those shafts!). (it doesn't matter that the headrests would have to move "up" to become a projectile...you'd be surprised at the directions that things fly during a crash).

trailrunnermom

do the headrests still lock in place when you have them inserted backwards?

Yikes! :eek: Yep, you're right -- they don't lock backwards. Here I am, super-conscious safety mom, very embarrassed. :eek: Oops.

The seats that are installed (Radian and Regent) have the headrests wedged in, but regardless, I'll take the headrests out and either store them in the in-floor storage space or keep them in the house.

Thanks! :)

southpawboston

Yikes! :eek: Yep, you're right -- they don't lock backwards. Here I am, super-conscious safety mom, very embarrassed. :eek: Oops.

The seats that are installed (Radian and Regent) have the headrests wedged in, but regardless, I'll take the headrests out and either store them in the in-floor storage space or keep them in the house.

Thanks! :)

no prob! i agree, best thing to so is store them safely somewhere. i think someone else here mentioned about turning the headrest backwards, i hope this is not a recommended practice. :confused: can any of the techs chime in on this?

southpawboston

Hmm, I swear I've heard it recommended more than once by experienced techs. :confused:

that does appear to be flawed logic to me. every piece of the car's interior has been designed to behave a certain way during a crash... (you know the popular saying here: if it hasn't been crash tested that way, you're making your child a crash test dummy!). IMHO, that applies to the vehicle as well...

in the case of headrests, it *may* be possible that some do in fact lock in place, even when backwards... in that case i don't see it being a problem. and i suppose you could also blame the car maker for designing the shafts in such a way as to allow the headrest to be put in backwards but not lock... it would be easy enough to make them one-way only.

but ultimately i think that any person involved as an authority on carseats and their installation should also have the foresight (and responsibility) to see the car itself as one big safety device, one that shouldn't be tampered with, much as they warn not to tamper with a carseat.

trailrunnermom

Thanks again for the input! I also wanted to add that I was able to educate a friend of mine on the use of headrests...ahem, head RESTRAINTS...for adults this past week. I noticed she had taken all 3 headrests out of the middle row in her SUV (no kids); I asked if anyone ever rode in that row; yes, she said, her mother (!) - so I told her that unless she wanted her mom to have a good case of whiplash, it would be a good idea to keep at least one head RESTRAINT installed for passengers! :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I found it much easier to get the Regent installed in my '05 Sienna's third row with the vehicle headrest removed entirely. When completely lowered, the third row headrests are integrated into the front of the vehicle seatback rather than in the typical position at the top of the seatback, and it creates a "hump" there that prevents the Regent from being flush with the seatback. It's easier for me to simply store the headrest in the basement than to fiddle with it and try to position it high enough to keep it from interfering with the Regent's installation. :)

southpawboston

When completely lowered, the third row headrests are integrated into the front of the vehicle seatback rather than in the typical position at the top of the seatback, and it creates a "hump" there that prevents the Regent from being flush with the seatback.

more and more cars are adopting that design, since that design creates less rear-view obstructions for the driver. when the restraint is all the way down, it barely sticks above the seatback. but i agree, it creates an awkward bulge in the seatback, and i can see how that could interfere with some carseat installations.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
more and more cars are adopting that design, since that design creates less rear-view obstructions for the driver. when the restraint is all the way down, it barely sticks above the seatback. but i agree, it creates an awkward bulge in the seatback, and i can see how that could interfere with some carseat installations.

The more integrated headrest design in the Sienna's third row also seems tailor made for folding and stowing the third row into the floor without needing to remove the headrests.

Niea

The manual for my '07 CRV actually states that you must remove the headrest for any seating position that contains a carseat. I'm not sure why, though -- maybe because it can interfere with installation? I don't believe it says why.

But now I'm wondering. . .what does that mean for seats like the Apex that require the headrests?

southpawboston

The manual for my '07 CRV actually states that you must remove the headrest for any seating position that contains a carseat. I'm not sure why, though -- maybe because it can interfere with installation? I don't believe it says why.

But now I'm wondering. . .what does that mean for seats like the Apex that require the headrests?

i guess that means no APEX's in 07 CRV's...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC