Flying alone with two - seat advice

heatheranne226

In November I will be flying alone with my 2 children. DD#1 will be 2 years, 8 mos at the time and DD#2 will be 8mos. Both girls will have their own seat and I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to restrain them both during the flight and somehow manage to get through security with the proper restraints.

Thoughts? DD#2 is currently in her infant seat (snug ride) but is getting close to having the 1" head space. DD#1 has a Marathon.

thank you in advance!

ADS

MomToEliEm

I have flown alone with two kids and I survived just fine, though it wasn't an easy task. You will want the rearfacing seat by the window, older child's seat in the middle and you sit in the aisle. This will all change if you want both seats rearfacing as I would put the marathon rearfacing by the window and the infant seat in the middle since the marathon is bigger. Some flight attendants think that you can only have a carseat in the window position, but this isn't true. As long as you are traveling as a "family unit", you can have multiple seats in a row just so long as the carseats are not blocking your exit in case of an emergency.

There are some tricks for installing the marathon forward facing on the airplane seat. Which way do you plan to install it?

For carrying the seats through the airport, I used a luggage cart and used a bungy cord to hold the seat in place. I then put our carry-on luggage in the seating area of that carseat. I then turn the infant seat upside down and placed it over the first seat and carry-on luggage. I had my older child walk and my younger child was in a sling. When I went through security, I did have to unpack everything and send things through one at a time. When everything was through security, we just found a quiet corner and quickly assembled everything back again on the cart.

When getting everything into the plane, I lifted the luggage cart and all above the aisle and once at my seat, I disconnected everything and tried to get the seats installed as quickly as possible. While installing the seats, I just set the girls in some other airplane seats and tried to keep them occupied with the airplane magazine.

Here are some FAA documents you may want to print out and carry with you to indicate that you can install multiple seats in a row, and that you can rearface a carseat in the airplane.

Official FAA guidelines on carseats on planes

New FAA clarification memo on carseats on planes

Pixels

If DD2 is close to the one inch mark, she'll probably outgrow it in the next three months. Do you have any idea what you'll replace it with?

NVMBR02

I second everything the PP said. I travel with my 3 frequently and although it isn't easy I have always been able to get through just fine.

I also use a luggage cart with seats attached with a bungee cord. I wear the baby and the older two walk. Once I traveled with a doublt stroller with the baby in the infant seat and the other carseat in the back and my 2 year old walked next to me. I have found walking through the airport is a good way to get some of that energy out. You could also put both kids in a double stroller(baby in the infant seat?), wear one carseat on your back with one of those bags that you wear.

In general though, I prefer to travel without a stroller.

heatheranne226

Oops, I should have also written that I am open to purchasing a CARES (if that would make life easier/still be safe) and a smaller, travel car seat. I plan to move DD#2 to a Marathon when she outgrows her snugride.

Also, more than likely, our airplane will be a smaller aircraft where there are only 2 seats making up a row. As I read the FAA guideline provided (thank you), I should be able to put DD#2 rear facing by the window, sit next to her, and put DD#1 across the aisle, where I could still reach her in the event of an emergency.

aeormsby

Sorry to hijack! But why? I was planning on using my Volo as a luggage cart. What would the disadvantage be?
(I'm flying in two weeks, first time with a car seat.)

We rarely travel with a stroller also. Usually we just don't need it at our destination (mostly travel to visit family and they either have or borrow one to use while we're there). It's also more of a pain to have to gate check a stroller than just bringing the wire cart (for hauling the carseat) right on the plane - especially when traveling alone with kids.

OP - were you planning on taking a stroller? I've traveled with both my kids by myself. For travel carseats we use an Uptown (older version of the Avenue) for DS and a Safeguard GO for DD. Your 2yo can probably walk thru the airport OK - my DD did fine last fall when she was that age. I got her a rolling kid-sized suitcase to put her activities in. Then I had DS in the Ergo and carseats on a luggage cart, the only other carry on was the diaper bag. Physically getting on the plane is the hardest carrying two carseats. I would look at getting some lighterweight seats for travelling if possible. Is your 2yo still RF? If not I'd get a Maestro for her and a Scenera for the baby, otherwise maybe use your MA & get a Scenera for the baby.

heatheranne226

I had been planning on taking a stroller for the 2-year old, but now it is sounding like that could be more trouble than it is worth (I will use the Ergo for baby). My 2-year old is no longer RF. And for what it is worth, I will have car seats waiting for us on the end of our trip, already installed, if that helps.

aeormsby

That does make a difference. If you have a carseat for your 2yo at your destination I would buy (or rent) a cares harness if possible and get the Scenera for your LO to use (the Scenera is inexpensive and much easier to travel with than the Marathon). Depending on the type of stroller you have, I've strapped our Avenue into our Chicco umbrella stroller (it is a little more of a pain when getting on the plane though). You could also strap whatever seat you take for your DD2 on a luggage cart (or stroller) and have your DD1 sit in it that way. We've had the kids sit in carseats on both strollers & luggage carts.

100_2531.JPG
100_5555.JPG

heatheranne226

Thank you for all the help! I will get a scenera for the LO and a CARES harness for my older daughter. I'm glad to hear others have navigated the airport with 2 small children and car seats!

aeormsby

Good luck, only having to take 1 seat with will make it much easier. One thing about the Scenera - just practice installing it before you leave, it won't be as easy as your MA to install. It will more than likely need 1-3 pool noodles to get a RF recline. I just take them with me when we fly.

AlisonZ

I have done 10 month old and 4 year old alone internationally. It was difficult, but doable. The only thing I'll add is the folks in front of the infant seat weren't able to recline their seat and were extremely hostile about it. Fair enough for an overnight flight, but unpleasant just the same.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC