Need a tech to help a friend in OH

ZephyrBlue

I believe she lives in Dayton, the issue she's having is with the school's transportation system (her SN kiddo has an IEP w/transportation, and they are installing a seat for him on the bus- this is what she told me this morning's pick up) The transport system people seem willing to try to get a seat installed for him, but are completely clueless.

"The seat was not installed correctly (moved at least 6 inches front/back and side/side), the straps were badly twisted, and the aide did not even try to tighten the harness straps at all. When I pointed out that she didn't tighten them, she said "oh, I'm going to sit next to him, he won't climb out." I said "that's not why you tighten the straps!" then I tried to tighten them (she didn't even know how to) and they wouldn't tighten ebecause of how twisted they were. I untwisted them as much as possible and tightened it somewhat, but it was still VERY wrong.

So I called the director of transportation, she said she'd have the *mechanic* go out and take a look at it when the bus got back to the garage."

She said that she called the fire dept. awhile back about having a CPST help her with this issue and the CPST on staff sent her some pamphlets on child passenger safety, but wasn't very willing to come out to help talk with the transportation service or help train them how to install a seat.

Can anyone help her? The little guy is 3. She'd love for me to be able to give her contact info for a CPST willing to help.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd be completely willing to help, but there are some time constraints -- I live in Columbus and work M-F. Given that it's with the school system, I'm not sure if we'd be able to finagle a time to meet up. I can (and often am) go down to Dayton weekends.

There's some slight possibility I could go down there one day later this week, but that would be it for during the week.

If you can't find a Dayton-area tech, though, it might be better than nothing. I'm pretty sure we have one or two folks from Dayton on here, though.

What seat is it, and was it provided by the parent or the school? If by the school, is it unexpired?

ZephyrBlue

Carrie, do you mind PMing me with your email or other contact info. that I can pass along to the parent? I that'd be easier than going through me for questions, etc. :)

Cognito*

I'm not a tech, but I have had good experiences with 2 in the Dayton area. There is Jessica Saunders at Dayton Childrens Hospital who helped install my KDMF Regent. The Riverside Fire Dept has a nice tech. I can't remember his name, but he knew his stuff, double checked manuals, made sure I could install my seats & it was a good experience all around.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
PM sent. Hopefully either I or one of the other techs listed in this thread can help this family out. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC