arranging seats in new car...

3j'smom

We are going to be buying a GMC Acadia (2 captains chairs in 2nd row and bench in third row) in a few weeks to give us some extra room for when baby #3 arrives. DD (16 months) will continue to be rear facing in her MA and baby #3 will be in a SR 22. DS #1 (turns 4 in December, is 40 lbs and 41 inches) will be in a new seat...most likely (currently in a MA). Originally I was going to get him a Frontier 85 so it could convert to a booster when he was ready, but now I can't figure out how I can get him buckled in a five pt harness in the third row, with two rear facing. I'd have to crawl under the two rear facing (if that's even going to be possible!) and then make my way to the third row. So, then after letting him "try" out his cousin's booster I feel very confident that he would be an appropriate rider when he turns four in a booster.

I know everyone on here would not put him in a booster at 4, but how would I get him strapped in using a five pt???? Please help!

Thanks!!

ADS

NVMBR02

I would teach him to buckle himself. Both my older kids learned around that age. I do have to help my 4 1/2 year old sometimes, but he usually can get it himself, I just need to remind him to move the chest clip up.

Another option would be putting the baby in the third row while he/she is still in the infant seat.

I really don't know many 4 year olds that are really ready for a booster all the time. Both my kids did ride in a booster at times at 4, but only short trips where they are less likely to become distracted. :twocents:

Anne

I would put one of the rfers in the third row. The baby would be easiest because you can just click the seat in, rather than having to sit in the seat between them to buckle your toddler. You can be teaching your 4 year old to buckle himself in. By the time your baby needs to go to a convertible seat, he should be okay to buckle himself.

If he can't or you're not comfortable with it, then you could have him in one of the middle seats, one of your rear facers in the other. The second rear facer can be in back, but you'd have room on the bench next to them to get in and buckle them in.

3j'smom

I've tried to get him to do the lower part...he's mastered his chest clip and making sure the straps are not twisted. He also knows to get his chest clip up and reminds to "check it" for the right height. As much as he's tried he doesn't seem to have the strength to get the lower buckles to click. hmmm...maybe we need to give it another try. A few weeks ago he wasn't able to do it.
Even my 63 year old father has trouble getting it to "click" at times...

I'll have to try getting the infant seat to the back. That option may work, but I know how heavy the seat can get with a baby in it and I'm having a hard time envisioning how I'd lug it to the third row. Would it be possible to lift the infant seat over the third row from the tailgate and click it in?

Thanks for your help...I guess I'm starting to have third trimester panic!! Having the new car would help a ton too!!

Jillybeans5

While the baby is in the infant carrier, I would set the carrier in the front passenger seat(or driver seat, turned sideways) shut the door, climb into back to buckle older child, then put infant carrier on its base. I've had similar situations and this has always worked well for me.:)

NVMBR02

I've tried to get him to do the lower part...he's mastered his chest clip and making sure the straps are not twisted. He also knows to get his chest clip up and reminds to "check it" for the right height. As much as he's tried he doesn't seem to have the strength to get the lower buckles to click. hmmm...maybe we need to give it another try. A few weeks ago he wasn't able to do it.
Even my 63 year old father has trouble getting it to "click" at times...

Some seats are easier to buckle then others. If you are getting him a new seat you may conder the Graco Nautilus which is easy for kids to buckle and unbuckle on their own. I found that bringing a seat in the house and having them practice for a few days worked for both of my kids.

Even if it takes him a little bit to learn it is a fairly temporary thing. Within the next few months he will very likely be able to buckle himself in. For me, the inconvenience of having a Rfer in the third or or having to crawl in the buckle is not a reason to move to a booster seat,

3j'smom

Ah ha!! I get it! The infant seat won't block the walkway if I don't put it in until I have him buckled!!! THAT MAKES TOTAL SENSE!!!! This can work! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Okay, so now do I keep him in his MA that he has not out grown or got out and get a Frontier 85 so he's ready for a booster when the time comes?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you are getting him a new seat you may conder the Graco Nautilus which is easy for kids to buckle and unbuckle on their own.

Yes, this. My now-5.5yo dcb was able to do up his own harness in the Nautilus at 4.5... without a problem. All I had to do was check the tension, and after a few months, I didn't even have to loosen it anymore and we just leave it set all the time.

I know the Nautilus will be outgrown sooner than the F85, but, if his ability to do it up himself will keep him harnessed a bit longer, then it may actually last longer (if that makes sense.)

Jillybeans5

If you decide to get a nautilus, try it in your car first to make sure it fits fully on the seat. I just finished some major rearranging of seats in my car because the nautilus overhung the edge of the 3rd row bench in my 05 GMC yukon XL. If it fits, its great, its pretty easy for kids to buckle themselves into.

aeormsby

Just a thought - but have you considered the 8 passenger Acadia? I have an 8 pass Outlook (same vehicle) and I'd much rather deal with 3 across in that vehicle than deal with the 3rd row on a daily basis.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC